• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

CoAS Combined Mod Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
Current Version:

All-in-One Installer
CMv3.1.5 Complete Mod

City of Abandoned Ships Combined Modpack Version 3 Patch 1.5
Patch 1.5

City of Abandoned Ships Combined Modpack Version 3 Patch 1
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

City of Abandoned Ships Combined Modpack Version 3
Mirror 1 EXE
Mirror 1 7-Zip
Mirror 2

Previous Version:

Version Two(OLD)
CoAS CMv2

Version Two Patch Two (RTBL Patch) Use this if you wish to keep RTBL settings.
CMv2 RTBL Patch Two

Version Two Patch Two (Vanilla Patch) Use this if you wish to keep vanilla settings.
CoAS CMv2 Vanilla Patch Two

Version one (OLD)
CoAS CMv1

I agree. :will

This will take time and we will need to know what everyone is working on, what i suggest is we combine all the mods that we know work and agree should be included, leaving all mods that are still to be tested out till we are happy they work. Those who are working on mods for COAS should tell us what they are working on so that no one is working on the same mod in less they are working together, like the weather mod which is in real need of fixing but i'm not sure that will be done that easily, i want to see random weather not fog on a morning sun all day and rain only in storms. Once we have all the mods combined we should download that and install it so that all future mods are tested not only to see how they work but also tested with the current build installed. Tutorials should be created so that other people can get in and help out too.

We will need someone who knows how to make the mod into a self installer because i have no clue on how to do that, like you said MK i instal the mods manually.

3 to 4 GB? Where do you get all THAT content?
That's bigger than the friggin' PotC Build Mod!

Making a mod installer is quite easy, as soon as the files to be included are ready.
Don't worry about that one. :no

I reckon you should not use the "Build" mod name though. If you name it "CoAS Combined Mods",
you can using the ModDB profile that I already made. It'll be release 2 then.

3 to 4 GB? Where do you get all THAT content?
That's bigger than the friggin' PotC Build Mod!

Making a mod installer is quite easy, as soon as the files to be included are ready.
Don't worry about that one. :no

I reckon you should not use the "Build" mod name though. If you name it "CoAS Combined Mods",
you can using the ModDB profile that I already made. It'll be release 2 then.

The ships take up around 2 to 3GB's on there own.:shock

So we just combine it as COAS combined mod and you or another person will move into an installer, thats cool. Is there a tutorial on how to do that? because i would like to learn to do that one day. :onya

Perhaps all the mods should be in the CoAS Combined Mod and the ships as a seperate d/l? As an option for those who want just the mods or just the ships, if they want both, then d/l both. Two or three GB is massive for a single d/l.

Did you guys compress the files :shock

The Build Mod is like a 2GB (Max) single install

When compressed a 2GB mod is between 800 to 900MB's, this combined ships All Ported Ships Combined Mod is all of the ships ported over by Gong and the first load of ships i ported over, thats why the second load i ported over had to be uploaded as a seperate part because Megaupload will only allow registered members to download files over 1GB and the second load of ships took the total to about 2.5GB's uncompressed, about 1.1GB's when compressed.If there was some where i could upload the ships i would upload the full combined ships there rather than splitting them into 3 different downloads.

Get NSIS and NIS Edit. Two free programs that together allow you to make installer files.

What compression do you use for those ships? Zip, Rar or 7-Zip?
I'd urge you to use 7-Zip; it makes things LOTS smaller!

You DO know we have a "City of Abandoned Ships" FTP right here on this forum, don't you?
You can use that to upload files of basically any size.

In violent agreement with Officerpuppy. There should be a stacked option that allows mods only followed by additional ships.

In keeping with Pieter's intent of not confusing the COAS mod work with POTC, we will not use "Build" in the verbage. I suggest we call it COAS Combined Mods v2. COAS - CMv2

With that said, mods only portion would be COAS - CMv2.0 and Luke's uber ported ships on top would be COAS-CMv2.1

Suggestion only. I'm not in love with this classification just trying to act as a facilitator here.

Any suggestions on something more sexy??? Build just sounds better. We could go for a geeky syntax substitute like COAS Instantiation v1 (COAS Iv1) I kinda like that. Or maybe a cool code name like the military uses for certain software projects. COAS DEATH v1, COAS SKULL v1, COAS CULVERIN v1, COAS CUTLASS SLASH v1, COAS BOOTY v1. :woot Thoughts??? This is our effort. This is our favorite game, hobby, venue, or whatever you want to call it, so we should be happy with what we name it. There should be some pride here just like I'm sure all the folks that worked on the Build mods have.

Luke, No pressure brother, but doing this in two pieces is hard because the way we've put everything together now is that all the values for the ships performace is tethered to RTBL. I know that you nor I have had the time or interest in building a separate set of values for ships outside of RTBL that match vanilla values. Right now the way things are if you want the ported ships you get RTBL that has all the other little mods compiled with it. I'm with you that if we make it optional to load one way or the other it's gonna take us a couple months to get the versions worked out, not a couple weeks as I'd said above if we put everything in one large combined mod.

Bottom line: I think you and certainly I would be more comfortable if we had a longer timeline to test build values for a non-RTBL version and test all the other stuff we're talking about here.... that is if we want to do this right the first time. As exciting as the suggestion and idea is we must be patient.

Standing by for guidance, suggestions, and education. In the meantime, I've got testing on the ships values still underway and my gunrunner mod coming together on another machine.

Fun stuff!!! :dance

MK

Well, I'm not working on anything new now that I've completed the mini quest mod for the Isabella quest. What I have on the FTP is it for me till next year xD:

Perhaps for now since a lot of the work has been done already, the ships could stay in for the intial release of the mod. And once it's completed, work could begin on a seperate version without the ships. Essentially, just work on one version first, complete it, then work on the second version instead of trying to do both at the same time.

As for a name, I like Pieter's suggestion because I think it accurately describes what we are trying to do right now. From what I can remember, perhaps I'm wrong, I don't think the famous Build mod started out as being called the build mod but was called something else untill the mod grew.

The name doesn't really bother me too much all that does bother me is getting the mod up and running so that other's can injoy this game not only with more ships but with the best mods availble at the moment, and of course other mods been developed after the release of this mod would then mean those mods are already added and don't need to be added and tested etc etc.

What we need to know is what version will be the main core. Vanilla or RTBL?

Next do we need more calibures like the 6 and 20 pounder's?

Finally we should start to compile a list of mods we feel should be included in the build so that work can start on the COAS uber mod version 1.

I think we should use CoASCombinedMods1.8Full.exe as the starting point since most mods are there and the fixes are there too not to mention its already been tested. Then we can start to add the mods we feel deserve to be there.

"Build Mod" is a pretty dull name in and of itself.
That's why our modpack is now called "Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons".
Internal name is still Build 14 Alpha 10, of course.

The "Combined Mods" is what Jonathan Aldridge originally called his mods.
That's the name I used for the ModDB profile at the time, since that is what it was.
Though it should be quite possible to rename it, I reckon.

I would VERY much advise AGAINST a deliberate two-part download, unless filesize means that you must.
Unfortunately it would appear that even a simple two-step process is messed up by people waaay too frequent.
And there'll probably be patches and updates in the future,
which means that you'd have to keep the ships add-on pack updated with the recent additions.
This then necessitates a re-upload (on your part) and re-download (on the user's part) of both parts,
OR a seperate patch to be installed depending on whether or not you have the additional ships installed
This becomes very confusing very quickly. Trust me on this; I've tried it in the past. :facepalm

Also, there's no need to make a perfect version this time around.
As long as it works, that'd be good. Patches and new versions can always be released later.
You could release the equivalent of "CoAS Build 2" now and then "CoAS Build 3" in a couple of months or so.
With PotC, there is now MANY years between full Build releases, but that is just because there's too much in the works
with too much unfinished work and too many bugs that have to be fixed first and tested and fixed again.

The time between Build 11 and Build 12 was, if I recall, hardly a full year.
Between Build 12 and Build 13 was maybe 2 years and between Build 13 and Build 14 is now already MANY years.
The time between full updates increases exponentially as the complecity increases.
But you're not there yet. From what I can tell, all modifications made are, so far, still quite modest.
And that IS a good thing in a way, because there isn't too much chance for unexpected serious bugs to be introduced.
The bugs that ARE there can probably quickly be traced to a mistake somewhere. :shrug

I think we should use CoASCombinedMods1.8Full.exe as the starting point since most mods are there and the fixes are there too not to mention its already been tested. Then we can start to add the mods we feel deserve to be there.
I'd agree with that for the simple reason that it already exists.
Consider it "Build 1" and your future efforts to become "Build 2".
Never mind that you didn't originally make the first release.
In fact, NONE of the PotC Build 1-11 modders are active on this forum anymore at all.
In other words, the PotC Modding team has changed 100% since it originally got started. :shrug

You can then add whatever you feel should be added to the next version.
And if you're REALLY happy with how it turned out, call it "Combined Mods v2.0 Full" and change the listing to say "released".
That way, people will probably be more inclined to try it, since it's not a WIP version. And people can rate it on the ModDB too.
Of course you can release new versions at some point in the future anyway.
And if you really want to, you can make a second ModDB profile once your modding work warrants it.
That's what we did with PotC Build 14, which has got a ModDB profile seperate from the original Build 12/13 one.
B12/13: http://www.moddb.com/mods/potc-build-mod
B14: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

Well if experience say's only one version should be made then the question still stands. Should we use vanilla or the real time battle mod (RTBL)?

This sounds like a good time to reintroduce the concept of toggles. ;)
Put BOTH versions in, with if-statements around the code.
Then have a file like the PotC "BuildSettings.h" where you can turn on/off the mod by changing one value.
Code:
if(REAL_TIME_BATTLE_MOD)
{
//DO SOMETHING
}
else
{
// DO SOMETHING ELSE
}
And:
Code:
#define REAL_TIME_BATTLE_MOD 1 // Togle on/off the Real Time Battle Mod
Probably have it off by default, but do make clear mention of it in the accompanying ReadMe/Manual/"Press Release".

Luke, No pressure brother, but doing this in two pieces is hard because the way we've put everything together now is that all the values for the ships performace is tethered to RTBL. I know that you nor I have had the time or interest in building a separate set of values for ships outside of RTBL that match vanilla values. Right now the way things are if you want the ported ships you get RTBL that has all the other little mods compiled with it. I'm with you that if we make it optional to load one way or the other it's gonna take us a couple months to get the versions worked out, not a couple weeks as I'd said above if we put everything in one large combined mod.

Bottom line: I think you and certainly I would be more comfortable if we had a longer timeline to test build values for a non-RTBL version and test all the other stuff we're talking about here.... that is if we want to do this right the first time. As exciting as the suggestion and idea is we must be patient.
That makes things more complicated, but you could put the toggle around all the ships that have RTBL values only,
so you get those ships with the mod on and they're not there with the mod off.
Then you can work on the non-RTBL values after the release and include the new ships enabled with RTBL off in the next version.

I'd like to chime in and say that more than just RTBM should be handled this way. Several times with several different games I've seen an awesome mod compilation that unfortunately included that one minimod that I hated. And since it wasn't possible to turn it off individually, I had to throw away the whole package. It'd be a shame if this ended up being one of those.
A great example of the right way to do it would be the Kobayashi Maru mod for Star Trek: Bridge Commander - it adds all kinds of crap, most of it completely useless (like blind firing or advanced power distribution, allowing you to set the power output of the front left phaser to two percent more than the from right phaser... yeaaah), but it allows you to turn all of it off one by one (from the in-game options menu no less) until you're left with just the vanilla game with better ship models.

Put BOTH versions in, with if-statements around the code.
Then have a file like the PotC "BuildSettings.h" where you can turn on/off the mod by changing one value.
Code:
if(REAL_TIME_BATTLE_MOD)
{
//DO SOMETHING
}
else
{
// DO SOMETHING ELSE
}
And:
Code:
#define REAL_TIME_BATTLE_MOD 1 // Togle on/off the Real Time Battle Mod
Probably have it off by default, but do make clear mention of it in the accompanying ReadMe/Manual/"Press Release".

This sounds a little complicated, but i think i have an idea how it works just one thing i would like to make sure about. How do you get that code to work with the mod. The RTBL changes the value's of over 100 ships thats speed, cargo, waterline, weight, some ship hp value's and there sail hp value's, also the maximum calibure they can mount and what calibure they will most likly have mounted when you go to the shipyard to buy them. The fort has also been had vaulue's changed which is in the same file as all the ships. How would i get that and the vanilla to work without overwriting the other file? which is ship_init btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back