• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved COAS Rain Bug

MorskiCetnik

Landlubber
I have a very big problem when I'm playing COAS quest. Whenever it's raining, the game freezes. I just can't finish the bloody quest. I've tried the non-moded version of AoP, Combined Mod 3.1.5 and 3.2, Gentlemen of Fortune 1.1.2... It's still all the same.
I really love this game, especially with GoF mod, but this drives me mad.

My system specifications:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.5 GHz
nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512 MB
2 GB DDR2 RAM

If there is no way to fix this, is there some methods to hack weather in COAS quest and make it sunny during the whole quest?

This question has been asked before but I can not find that thread now. I am pretty sure the rain can be turned off but I do not know how.

You are not going to want to hear this, but the long term fix for you is to get a better computer. The Storm engine only uses one core so sees your computer as a single 2.5ghz cpu. It seems that is not enough. I have a 5ghz cpu and GOF2 uses 100% of it and wants more.

OK, thanks for the information, anyway.
Once, I experimented with a certain file, I think it was "reaction_functions", that I found found in Programs\Quests , and I succeed to eliminate the rain at the end of the quest, but that caused some other problems, so I couldn't finish the quest.
I also heard some other people complaining about this and they said that lack of enough RAM memory causes this problem, too.

Lack of ram could indeed cause this problem. I made a pic of windows task manager while playing GOF2 today. It looks like GOF2 only uses 250-300 mb of ram but my win7 64 bit system was using 2.75gb of ram for a total of around 3 gb.

You have 2 gb of ram total. You may want to get a 64 bit operating system and buy some more ram. It is cheaper than a whole new computer.

GOF2 cpu use.jpg

A 32 bit operating system will not use more ram. Only a 64 bit operating system will use more ram.

Some years ago i had the same problem. In my case it was the graphics card. I had to change from NVIDIA to AMD. Since i´m playing the game with an AMD card i have no more freezes. Maybe that helps.

It is Windows 7 and the fact that CoAS was designed for 32-bit operating systems.

The game does not seem to like some part of the OLD Virtual C++ coding script and the Storm Engine 2.8.
nVidia cards are not the direct culprit, as I originally thought MANY years ago (2009).
Its not a memorable leak or overflow either.
My computer FAR EXCEEDS the specifications of the game, and generally never drops below 60 fps even in sea battles with 8-10 ships.

Other fixes I have tried and HAVE NOT WORKED, and I am a $%#&ing expert at trying to optimize this $!#$ game engine:

1) Increasing available memory used by the game (modified .EXE) to 3 GB.
2) Turning off multi-threading for processors
3) Using single processor mode
4) Decompiling the executable and rewriting as a 64-bit application
5) Optimizing memory usage via the game engine
6) Modifying engine.ini file settings to minimize impacts of performance
7) Rewriting the code files of the game engine itself for personal use (lets call this "Storm Engine 2.9", similar to what was PARTIALLY done for POTEHO)

NONE of these worked with Windows 7 and my installation, and still kept balking at the final hurricane.

The ONLY way to prevent lockouts (if you are having freezing) is to COMPLETELY SHUT OFF THE WEATHER (especially during the final hurricane).
Look for some of my old postings on the specific code and the downloadable weather file.
It is still in the PO! archives here somewhere, just do a search, you only need to disable a couple lines of script code to make it work.

NOTE #1: You will be "walking on air" during the final hurricane "swim"

NOTE #2: Keep in mind, you CAN reactivate the weather AFTER you leave the city and restore the functionality without the requirement to start a new game.

Last edited:
I also encounter the same problem, but I don't want to reinstall my Windows system. I have tried to turn off storms in COAS but it didn't work.The game crash whenever I walk in streets of COAS,it is reproted that it have something related to WaterRing.dll. Any other method to solve it?

I have solved it. Just search the following strings in Program\Weather\WhrRain.c

void MoveRainToLayers(string sExecuteLayer, string sRealizeLayer)
{
LayerDelObject("execute",&Rain);
LayerDelObject("realize",&Rain);
LayerDelObject(SEA_EXECUTE,&Rain);
LayerDelObject(SEA_REALIZE,&Rain);

LayerAddObject(sExecuteLayer, &Rain, 65537);
LayerAddObject(sRealizeLayer, &Rain, 65537);
}

and change them into

void MoveRainToLayers(string sExecuteLayer, string sRealizeLayer)
{
// LayerDelObject("execute",&Rain);
// LayerDelObject("realize",&Rain);
// LayerDelObject(SEA_EXECUTE,&Rain);
// LayerDelObject(SEA_REALIZE,&Rain);

// LayerAddObject(sExecuteLayer, &Rain, 65537);
// LayerAddObject(sRealizeLayer, &Rain, 65537);
}

I tested it and 100% work. No more crashes in streets of CoAS.

I tried Kenlai93's method to fix my freezing during storms at sea and it didn't work. Rain doesn't appear but sounds still stutter and my system freezes.

There has to be a way to fix this? I don't mind disabling storms entirely if that's what it takes to make this game playable in windows 7 with an nvidia card.

Back