• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

CoAS weather and water transparency

Peter Willemoes

Corsair
Storm Modder
I am playing around with the weatherfiles, because I would like to regain the PoTC "brightness" in CoAS.
I think I say a thread somewhere about this, but I cant find it.

Has anyone had any success with a better combination of adjustment in these weatherfiles?

I haven't seen any such thread, but WOULD definitly like a bit more of the PotC look in CoAS also.
As it is, I can't say I actually like it very much. :eek:ops2

Certainly, the Caribbean does not look like the North Sea in the winter, that's for sure! Well I did some adjusting, though I still dont know what sea.frenel does exactly. Removed the fog completely ( fog at 12 noon in the caribbean is rarely seen).
In the weather files, there is a setting for every hour of the day.

Changed the colors of the sky and the water + sea.pena. Guess Sea2.watercolor is the view from port and inland seas, while sea.watercolor is the actual seas. Huge amounts of adjustment possibilities in this...which is why it took me forever by trial and error to reach this.

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Day2.jpg
    Day2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 261
Some mist to add to the atmosphere, but would'nt it be in the morning this would occur? Otherwise, I'd say the sky is mostly clear and bright all day in the Caribbean with fog occuring mostly in the evening and night.

Attachments

• DayMist.jpg
    DayMist.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 244
im also doing this,editing the sea,but also i want the sea texture in age of pirates 1, its not so jelly -like like in the CoAS,how do i do that?

I can see Pieter Boelen solved your problem in your other thread, but surface-textures for the water will not solve a colour related probelm. You need to adjust the rgb-values in the weather files to a combination that suits your needs.

If I get the time some day, I will try to implement Maturin's great work in PotC (and much improved by Hook) - the random weather generator files. If it's not already done by someone else.

Don't forget Screwface's fixes for it, especially concerning storms!

Excellent work on the color adjustments PW I'd be interested in getting a copy of your modified files once you've finished tweaking them!

Cap'n Drow

Thank you, Cap'n
smile.gif
No problem, I'll give you a notice when they're done and uploaded. Its really just (slow progress due to no sparetime) trial and error work with a pre-defined set of files, and you can just edit them all you want, if you disagree with my taste of variation in the weather.

Ramptor, it's the active color of the seabed. Looking straight down in the water on low depths and up to the horizon, you can see the seacolor change from the penacolor to the actual seacolor. Seabed textures may be green and sanded - but the water will have have something orange to it, if you i.e. try giving it penacolor 256 128 0.

i see, here is another question ,what is the difference between the sea.frenel and transparency?

i tried changing the numbers here, i dont dont see any changes?does this take effect when youre inland?

Weathers[n].Sea.Transparency = 0.4;
Weathers[n].Sea.FrenelCoefficient = 0.5;
Weathers[n].Sea.WaterReflection = 0.9;
Weathers[n].Sea.WaterAttenuation = 0.2;
Weathers[n].Sea.Sky.Color = argb(0,190,190,190);
Weathers[n].Sea.Water.Color = argb(0,90,195,145);
Weathers[n].Sea.Pena.Color = argb(0,175,175,155);

Just so you gents have an something to check, I'm guessing that Sea.frenel is the distortion coefficient as you look into the water. Everything will look distorted due to the ripples and reflections on the surface(both above and below the water).

That is just a guess, but considering that it is a single thing, I'm guessing that's what it would be.

Cap'n Drow

Back