• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Composer/Sound Designer Available

CKukla

HoO Team Member
Music and SFX
Hello Everyone!
My name is Chris Kukla, I read the post created on the gamedev.net regarding needing a musician, and I'm happy to offer my help.

I've been working in the music industry composing for commercials, video games, film, and singer/songwriters for 7 years, as well as attaining a bachelors degree in music composition. Recent games that I have composed for include the Stick Figure Trivia series, Scramble Blitz, and Poker Blitz for the iOS platform.

I've included a link to my portfolio at the bottom of the message which contains music that I have created for past clients, if interested, I would be glad to create a sample based on directives in order to demonstrate what I would be able to create for Hearts of Oak.
Thank you for considering me, please let me know if you have any further thoughts or ideas.

Best,
Chris Kukla
ChrisKukla@Sbcglobal.net
http://soundcloud.com/chris-kukla

I liked the Piano Nocturne in A Minor. I can already see something like that being used as one type of gale/storm music. We could definitely use all the help we can get in this area.

If you want to produce sheet music for piano, and if I can find some decent recording equipment, I have access to a very nice 140 year old piano and a classically trained pianist.

Thank you for the kind words. I would be glad to contribute to the project in anyway that I can. Do you have a list of required audio assets yet?

Not that I know of. We're still in the process of getting organized.

Okay. Well if you would like to hear anything additional from me, or have any tracks that you would like me to work on, let me know. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Hey, thanks Pieter!

That thread is quite helpful. If you would like me to take a stab at anything in particular listed there I would be glad to do so. Additionally, I like the idea of authentic music as Officerpuppy posted. I would absolutely be able to write that; it sounds like a blast.

Additionally, I don't think I made this very clear, I am also able to do sound effects work as well.

Ahoy Chris, welcome aboard mate!

Yeah, as post captain says, we are a bit unorganized at the moment, but as usual Pieter is getting us on track! Hopefully in the coming weeks we can get some concrete goals in place for everything. Whatever you decide to work on would be very much appreciated! We will also need music for several different nationality's, so please feel free to explore anything you feel may be helpful.

Thanks Thagarr, I'll definitely take a look around. Though as it seems that there are many directions to choose, as I mentioned to Pieter, if you would like to point me in a particular direction that you would like to hear, I would be glad to work that way.

Since we have different preferences for the music style, I'd recommend you choose whichever one you like best.
We could use a main theme of some sort to begin with. :yes

( If you REALLY aren't sure, I'll just mention that my personal preference would be "Old-fashioned orchestral film (Korngold, Rózsa, Cutthroat Island, etc.)" ) :wp

Alright great, I'll check them out. I'm also on skype at chris-kukla if anybody would like to chat about the project as well.

You can have a look at our Youtube channel for some videos from our other mods that might help give you some inspiration for some of the scenes we may be looking for. One big consideration we do have at the moment is title, menu and main theme music, that might really help with producing a proof of concept demo that we are currently working towards. End credits would also be quite helpful, I have a feeling those will be quite lengthy!

Here's my concept for the main theme:

For the main theme I was thinking of the tune of the shanty Heart of Oak (that is where I got the name, after all) played as a march (by an orchestra) without lyrics. That would be hard to pull off, but possibly doable.

Additions- string orchestra, not regular
played at a stately pace, profound sounding​

Back