• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

control scheme

psychopie

Landlubber
Hi, I started playing this game recently but the ackward control scheme is really making the game painful to play. The control are scathered all over the keyboard and are very far from being "intuitive". Is there a way (perhaps a mod) to change the control scheme to a more efficient one? I've tried to reassign the keys but not all of them can be reassigned so I guess my question is what is the best key layout to use for this game?

Here are a couple of things i do to my game when i start, its a post lmau posted in thelib forums

I don't why this was somehow neglected by the the devs, but I found it very very annoying
not being able to simply leftclick the mouse on topics in the dialogue window.

This is how you enable it:  

Browse to your gamedir and the following folder (example below)

C:program FilesPiratesPROGRAMCONTROLS

open the file "pc_init.c" with notepad

slowly scroll down, find the following text part:

// Dialog =====================================================================
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "DialogControls", "DlgAction", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_LBUTTON"), 0, false );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "", "DlgCancel", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_RBUTTON"), 0, false );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "DialogControls", "DlgUp", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_UP"), 0, false );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "DialogControls", "DlgDown", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_DOWN"), 0, false );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "DialogControls", "DlgScrollUp", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_PRIOR"), 0, false );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "DialogControls", "DlgScrollDown", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_NEXT"), 0, false );
etc.
etc.

I marked BOLD here what you have to change your file to!

This makes "Talking" so much easier for me. Check it out and if you're unsure - make a backup of the file before editing.

You can also change your worldmap traveling keys in here (You can't do this ingame)

For me I've changed these keys to the arrow keys - looks like that ->

// World map ===================================================================
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "", "WMapTurnH", 256, 0, false );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "", "WMapTurnV", 257, INVERSE_CONTROL, false );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapCameraRotate", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_CONTROL"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapForward", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_LBUTTON"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapBackward", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_RBUTTON"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapCameraSwitch", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_ADD"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapShipSailUp", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_UP"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapShipSailDown", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_DOWN"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapShipTurnLeft", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_LEFT"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapShipTurnRight", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_RIGHT"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapCancel", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_SPACE"), 0, true );
  CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapSkipEncounter", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_B"), 0, true );

Check it out!!

Makes it a bit easier, other than that you will just have to remap some of the other keys

thanks for that tip!

Do you know if there's a way to remap the "enter" key and arror keys to something else?

Back