• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Crew hiring cost.

jsv

Freebooter
Storm Modder
I continue to go through payments-related code, trying to make it more consistent. And the crew hiring cost is anything but. :)

The cost of hiring new crew is currently calculated like this:

Code:
int GetCrewHireCost(ref ch)
{
    int cost = 18 - (GetShipSkill(&ch,SKILL_LEADERSHIP) + 3*GetOfficersPerkUsing(&ch, "IronWill")); // was 16 and no perk
    cost = cost * iretMax(1, makeint(SALARY_MULTIPLIER/3.0+0.5));        // LDH 16Apr09
    return cost;
}

The problems I see with this formula:
  • the base cost of 18 is pretty arbitrary and has no relation to BASE_CREW_PAY
  • leadership and Iron Will modifiers work differently comparing to other payments
  • SALARY_MULTIPLIER (which is 3 by default, 5+ being recommended for more challenging play) is applied rather timidly
  • the difficulty level is not taken into account at all
Instead of using this ad-hoc formula, I'd make the hiring cost proportionate to monthly salary (say, half of it).

Last edited:
Instead of using this ad-hoc formula, I'd make the hiring cost proportionate to monthly salary (say, half of it).
Fine by me. I see no reason for using a different formula here compared to the monthly pay.

What is the idea of paying for hiring crew anyway? Giving them some wages in advance to settle their affairs before saying goodbye to their loved ones or something?
Indeed half their individual monthly pay per hired crewmember sounds fair enough to me for that. :doff

I do think we should keep some "crew hire cost", because that provides a nice contrast to Naval Officers who hire for free ("simulated press gang").

Tried it. In the beginning of the Tales of a Sea Hawk: old price is 17/crewman. With the proposed change it remains 17 on Apprentice and goes up to 43 on Swashbuckler.
To me that seems reasonable enough.

Tried it. In the beginning of the Tales of a Sea Hawk: old price is 17/crewman. With the proposed change it remains 17 on Apprentice and goes up to 43 on Swashbuckler.
To me that seems reasonable enough.
Sounds good! If players DO find it unreasonable, I'm sure they'll come rushing to the forum with feedback. :rofl

OK, here we go.

The attached enforces a bit more uniform payment calculation through the code.
That is, now there is only one place where that (1 - leadership * (1 + iron_will)/40)*(0.5 + difficulty/2) formula is calculated and it's used consistently when various officer and crew payments are calculated.

Crew hire price is changed to be half their normal monthly salary.

Attachments

• payment.zip
    53.8 KB · Views: 166
Uh... I've completely forgotten to remove a no longer used argument from GetCrewHireCost. :facepalm
Here's an updated version. It touches 4 more files for no user-observable effect, but I guess the code will be a bit clearer this way.

Attachments

• payment2.zip
    97.5 KB · Views: 170
Back