• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Custom Pre-Defined Character Choices

Who's Milady de Winter?
@Levis wants to make Jean Lafitte a Smuggler character instead of an Agent as he is now.
So I agreed with that, provided that we think of another Agent character to add. So @Grey Roger suggested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milady_de_Winter

Can we also add in the future Roxanne Lalliere?
Extremely easy to do. See the opening post. You could do it right now by just adding some lines in initModels.c .
For Roxanne, you pretty much already have a character model, so the hard part is done.

Can I create also an opening quest text for her and even a bit more? (Just for installing a background story)
After finishing her personal flag, I could work on this part.

Can I create also an opening quest text for her and even a bit more? (Just for installing a background story)
After finishing her personal flag, I could work on this part.
That can all be done in initItems.c too. She'd show up as one of the Free Play characters then.
If you want a true custom start, perhaps you can figure out an unused player type and link it to that.
We did the same with the original La Croix storyline which only had an opening and is now linked to Rogue/Gambler.

We did the same with the original La Croix storyline which only had an opening and is now linked to Rogue/Gambler.
I checked both_reaction.c and quest_reaction in the free-to-play folder and I understand better how the character is "linked" to the storyline.
But, now I need to create a new player_type, right? Must I write some specific code for that?

I checked both_reaction.c and quest_reaction in the free-to-play folder and I understand better how the character is "linked" to the storyline.
But, now I need to create a new player_type, right? Must I write some specific code for that?
Depends on what you have in mind. You tell me what you want and I'll see if I can figure out the best approach.
Some exceptions based on character name are also possible, for example. We've used those in several spots already.

No, not so small. Let's say it's still a quest while La Croix has many quests in the storyline.
La Croix is a Free Play character now with all sidequests available. Almost all storylines have all sidequests.
Half the La Croix "storyline" has actually been converted into a generally available sidequest as well.

Anyway, what exactly do you have in mind? If you don't want to spoil it in public, you can use the POTC Modding subforum or PM.

That's not completely defined. I think about a series of tasks through the Caribbean. And the quest starts in the Roxanne's Cabin with a dialogue between her and Bartolomeu.

That's not completely defined. I think about a series of tasks through the Caribbean. And the quest starts in the Roxanne's Cabin with a dialogue between her and Bartolomeu.
If you make a separate storyline, it works the same as before.
Depends on exactly what you want.

Wouldn't it be nice if this was accessable for all characters?
Bartolomeu is also present in the normal game right?
Why not give players the option to follow the tasks for Roxanne also after they helped bartolomeu in his other quest (he has another quest first right?), and for the character of Roxanne this just start automaticly.
This is also what I'm going for with the smuggler character.

You're right there is the Bartolomeu side quest but I think the side-quest can feature another NPC.
Otherwise, I'd like to do something unique for Roxanne. If this quest is available for all the free-to-play characters, I call that a side-quest and there are many of them.

You're right there is the Bartolomeu side quest but I think the side-quest can feature another NPC.
The Bartolomeu sidequest is now the Peter Blood sidequest. We changed that quite a while back now.

Otherwise, I'd like to do something unique for Roxanne. If this quest is available for all the free-to-play characters, I call that a side-quest and there are many of them.
You have a few options:
- Roxanne as hireable officer and you joining her on her story; probably doesn't make sense with the Periods mod
- Roxanne story start with fixed character as separate storyline
- Roxanne as character choice in the Free Play storyline

That last option is something I'd like to build on, but whether it works for your story depends on what you've got in mind.
The idea of it being a Free Play storyline is that you can actually fully customize your character.
Which means that player might play Roxanne's story in a different time period with a different character model.
If that is not what you want, then a separate storyline would be more appropriate.

Does anyone have any comments on the current selection of starting characters?

The only thing that really still needs doing here is this:
- American non-navy character 1: Jean Lafitte, French Agent in Napoleonic, TODO: Change to Smuggler with appropriate custom start

The only thing that really still needs doing here is this:
- American non-navy character 1: Jean Lafitte, French Agent in Napoleonic, TODO: Change to Smuggler with appropriate custom start
@Levis: I took the liberty of setting something up for this one myself. I think you've got enough to do as it is and I'd like to consider this feature "Included in Build".
You can of course make whatever additional tweaks you wish to make to this later.

The "Agent" player type no longer starts with smuggling goods on board and a damaged ship, but the "Smuggler" obviously does.
You do start in a friendly town though. Other than that, I just added some new texts to explain the situation.
Changing Lafitte to "Agent" through the interface maintains his original start, so that is at least still possible. His loyalties to America are also maintained in both cases.

Back