• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Custom Quest Musket

Bartolomeu o Portugues

Buccaneer
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Should be as simple as giving the player a "musket". Unless I am very much mistaken, I enabled the "Tab" button for the musket so you can snipe with it.
Completely accurate? Perhaps not. But could be fun! I always imagined you doing something with that feature for your storylines. :cheeky
:cheeky :yes
Yep, very true. The muskets only show up later for period accuracy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket#Europe
But Musketeers existed in the 17th century :unsure

Check initItems.c to see when they start appearing. I think they show up in Colonial Powers and afterwards.
Golden Age of Piracy is the last period that doesn't have them.

The proposed use, i.e. sitting on a rooftop taking one shot by yourself at a target, is exactly "sniping". And not something you'd do with a 17th century musket. Here is a manual on how to use a musket in the English Civil War. Standard practice was to have a line of people firing them all at once, then hopefully someone would hit something. xD
Awww.... You caught me! :razz

What of gameplay value, though? The game engine does have a feature to aim at characters and shoot at them in 1st person mode. This feature used to be hidden and required a cheat to enable.
When I added ths functionality to the (very historically wrong, I know!) Shotgun Easter Egg, I spent some time working in the actual correct damage calculations based on your equipped pistol.
Before that it was overpowered on purpose just for fun, but now it deals damage and uses ammo the same way as using a normal gun does.

So then the question is: If no historical gun would ever have been used like that, should we choose for historical accuracy or gameplay?
In this case, we are proposing one scene where this feature is required in a storyline that isn't entirely accurate anyway.
Especially the Bartolomeu one, since that one also contains fantasy elements for variety's sake.

While the option to use this also exists during regular play when using a musket, of course the choice to do so lies with the players.
And I don't think anyone is even aware of its existence. So on that account, I reckon one "showcase" situation to let players know about it should not be that bad? :oops:

Perhaps include it as another Easter egg? The "Assassin" story is very good as it is and needs no such addition. But perhaps, as an alternative to the poisoned throwing knife to be used in the first mission, the musket could be hidden in a house. If you go into that house, you could find the musket, then get teleported to the roof. I don't know how fussy the quest is - if it absolutely requires that the captain be killed by a throwing knife then this isn't going to work. If the quest continues if the captain dies, regardless of how you do it, then it could work. There's also the problem of getting back off the roof, especially since a musket is not a quiet weapon so everyone is going to know where the shot came from...

An accurate musket-like weapon would be more at home in a Napoleonic or Revolutions setting. I wonder if something like this could be worked into an extension to the "Hornblower" story? To quote Sharpe, "We don't use muskets. We use rifles." Now there's something asking to be used for sniping...

In the end, whether the musket aiming feature is used in the Bartolomeu or Assassin storyline depends on @Bartolomeu o Portugues.
So I'll leave the decision to do whatever he wishes with him.

Indeed having it in the Hornblower storyline would be cool for sure!
I wonder if @Short Jack Gold would be interested in such an extension.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Awww.... You caught me! :razz
In this case, we are proposing one scene where this feature is required in a storyline that isn't entirely accurate anyway.
Especially the Bartolomeu one, since that one also contains fantasy elements for variety's sake.
Indeed, I want to use the musket in one scene only and it will be in the Bartolomeu storyline. The player will have this gun temporarily for this scene and removed just after.

According to initItems.c, the musket should start showing up in the Golden Age of Piracy.
Since Bartolomeu and Assassin are set in The Spanish Main, indeed them not showing up is correct.
I am now making some changes to PROGRAM\Periods.c to encourage the musket bullets to ALSO not show up.
Because it doesn't make much sense to have the bullets invented several hundred years before the weapon!

Since the Pump Shotgun also used musket bullets, I am changing that to use grapeshot instead.
Otherwise you wouldn't be able to ever use it until Golden Age of Piracy. :facepalm

Nope, it will work straight away on the following weapons:
Code:
if(weaponID == "pistol10" || weaponID == "pistolmket" || weaponID == "pistol3_14")
That is the "Pump Shotgun", "Musket" and "Jack's Lucky Pistol".
No code adjustments required, other than to give the player the item and explain its use.

The musket is really funny :D
I don't know if someone can make a special version with a fast reload and without the obligation to switch to the third view to reload. I want a kind of counter strike scene with good head shots.:rofl

The musket is really funny :D
Damn right it is! The characters hit flying backwards is hilarious.
It gets even better after you have run out of ammo! I cannot prevent the shooting itself from working, so you're still shooting and you're still hitting.
But because you have no ammo, you do zero damage. So you can end up just infinitely making all characters in the scene fly around.
Nobody minds either, because they don't get hurt! :rofl

I don't know if someone can make a special version with a fast reload and without the obligation to switch to the third view to reload. I want a kind of counter strike scene with good head shots.:rofl
Fast reload is easy enough. That is what is done for the Pump Shotgun already.

What do you mean with "without the obligation to switch to the third view"?
I could make the view swap automatically as soon as you draw your blade with your "special musket" equipped.
Would that accomplish what you are after?

I think I originally did just that with the Shotgun, but then figured that wasn't very useful if you want to do any swordfighting or regular aiming with a Shotgun equipped. :facepalm

Yes, i want to be only in the first view when i use this special musket. The player won't need to use his sword in this scene.

That can be arranged. Requires the following things:

1. New custom weapon to be added to initItems.c, ideally in such a way that it doesn't use ammo (for the hilarious reasons described above)
This also allows a custom item name and description so it can be modified to appear a bit more historically accurate.

2. Edit in PROGRAM\seadogs.c for the shotgun mode to engage as soon as you draw your sword with that gun equipped.

Does that sound about right?

How quickly will you need that? If you want it for your current quest work, I could look into that this evening. Should not be too hard.

LOL!

Just so you know, I almost have this working. Ran into some issues because it uses the "musket" model,
so @Jack Rackham's "switching muskets from back" code started to interfere with me.
Figured it out though and have sorted it now.

One weird effect though: As soon as I equip it, I receive for free one "Gunpowder" and one "Pistol Bullet".
This is when equipping from nothing at all. Hopefully Jack can look into that in a bit.

Back