• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Custom Skin for French Heavy East Indiaman

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
This is the French Heavy East Indiaman:
fr_indiaman.jpg

This is the English Heavy East Indiaman:
rn_indiaman.jpg

Can you see the difference?

Probably not. Texture files "HvyTrade_fra.tga.tx" and "HvyTrade_eng.tga.tx" are identical, therefore so are the ships.

Any suggestions for an alternative texture for one or other of the pair?

(This was originally a Portuguese version which I pirated, took to port, repainted as "English galleon bearing French colours", and took to sea for the picture. Then I returned to port, repainted it as "English galleon bearing blue paint", and took to sea for the second picture. That's why both shots show an English flag - a French one wouldn't have lasted long next to Port Royale fort. :rpirate)

Good find! So basically these are completely pointless copies of each other at the moment?

Do their interface screenshots indicate different hull colours? If so, perhaps those got lost at some point in the past.
If not, it probably has been like that forever and nobody noticed until now. :facepalm

Maybe @Hylie Pistof knows something....?

They have separate interface shots with relevant flags and what look like identical hulls.
Thanks for confirming. Then they probably have been like that for a LONG time.

Now I wonder if their ships_init.c entries are also identical. As in: Is there ANY difference between the two?

If you feel like doing some retexturing, I'm inclined to say the current skin probably works nicely as the English one.
The French one could have some different colours, I imagine?

The French one is used by France and Spain, the English one is used by England only, Portugal and Holland have their own. (So does Spain, for that matter.) France also has "La Licorne" which is another texture of the Heavy East Indiaman.

I'm inclined to do a more generic French one, then make it French only. Spain can use its own exclusive version. (This also makes more sense for that part of "Golden Age" which now depicts the War of the League of Augsburg, when Spain was most definitely not allied with France!)

The French one is used by France and Spain, the English one is used by England only, Portugal and Holland have their own. (So does Spain, for that matter.) France also has "La Licorne" which is another texture of the Heavy East Indiaman.
So at the moment:
French version: Shared between France and Spain
Spanish version: Spain only
La Licorne: France only

Makes me wonder why we need a "French Heavy East Indiaman" at all.
Though I vaguely recall La Licorne being somewhat more different to the others; either in detailing or rigging.
Not sure if that is still the case, but I think it used to be.

I'm inclined to do a more generic French one, then make it French only. Spain can use its own exclusive version. (This also makes more sense for that part of "Golden Age" which now depicts the War of the League of Augsburg, when Spain was most definitely not allied with France!)
If the ship is to be kept, indeed that does sound like the best idea.
Though if indeed La Licorne isn't substantially different from the French Heavy East Indiaman,
I'd also be fine with keeping only La Licorne for France and removing the "double" one you found.
Either way is fine by me. :doff

My alleged memory says that at the time those textures were agreed upon there simply were not enough textures to go around. Before all the ships were the same with minor trim differences, except for La Licorne which is a storybook ship.

If someone wants to retexture either the French or English version I am all for it! The current textures are from COAS BTW.

I haven't had time to get a screenshot of this in action, and won't have the chance until probably mid next week. So, in case it's needed to go into an update, try putting this into "RESOURCE\Textures\Ships" and then go looking for something French, Indian and Heavy... (Or do what I did originally, steal the first Heavy East Indiaman you find regardless of owner, then repaint it to look French. :rpirate)

Also included, "Ships_init.c" with the entry for "Fr_WarGalleon" altered so Spain doesn't share it any more.

Attachments

• HvyTrade_fra.tga.tx.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
  • Ships_init.c
    765.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Mermaids?!?!?
:D

I'm not sure what the characters on the side of "RN_WarGalleon" are supposed to be, but I figured I may as well try to put something different on this one. And the character on the stern, partly obscured by the boat with the shiny new white underside, is Joan of Arc, borrowed from here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Joan_of_Arc_statue_in_Portland,_Oregon,_2015.jpg

Mermaids and fleurs de lys are also the result of random Google Images grabs. New lighter blue planking is from the Boussole model.

Mermaids are fine by me, but I was a bit surprised that a pirate like you would do them.

Seen the new Beta 4 trailer? Spotted the Satanist fluyt of war? That's also mine. :D I have no problem with painting ships for the enemy, it gives me something more interesting to attack. :rpirate

Back