• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Customizable fleet sizes

Edward Low

Landlubber
Ahoy!

I have thought about a thing. As the setup is now, you can choose from all level ships and ships that are not over your level.

But the size of the fleet does not change. I know that the current setup is most realistic. but, (and just call me boring) I think the coolest is, when you are lucky to find a single merchant ship .. They just dont sail alone very often.

My idea is that you can choose from the following: (Maybe only merchant, and not war fleets)

[click] Realistic fleets sizes
[click] Fleet sizes follow your level
[set value] the higher the value, the larger fleets (as it is now). and the lowest value is the highest number of individual ships and larger fleets are very rare

What do you think?

If this is not possible, (ore even) is there someone who can help me, how do I change the fleet sizes in the program files? I have found the codes, but I can not crack them :p (I have coded my own game a little, but are not a professional)

Oh and btw since this is my first post, I want to say thanks for a great game !! I have spent many many hours on it over the last few years! Thanks! :D

PROGRAM\Encounters\Encounters_init.c the Enc_AddShips define how many ships are in a certain type of worldmap/DirectSail encounter.
As it is now, you can encounter huge fleets and single ships. They're all "out there".

The ENCOUNTER_TYPE_MERCHANT0 one is the only that could give you a single merchant ship though.
And even then it could be anywhere between 1 and 3. So I can understand genuine single merchants being quite rare.

If you have any suggestions on changes to implement in the modpack itself, you're welcome to say so.
It could indeed be that single ships are too rare. Even the ones around islands generally come in two-ship groups.

I will. In fact I have a few things. Everything from splitting up the good mode so your character is immortal, but not your ship and vice versa - the distance from the ships when you get Sail-ho news (My personal is: worldMap.playerShipActionRadius = 60.0; ) And some other changes. What is easiest for you? That I make a list of my amendments, or should I make a new thread for each?

And while we're at it. I have thought about making some new free play storylines that are 100% customizable, but with default settings inspired by real pirates. example:

Bartholomew Roberts:
Start ship: Fortune (Sloop)
Date: July 1719
Nation: PIRATE

And the same with Francis L'Olonnois, Charles Vane, Henry Morgan, Ned Low (of course) and maybe a few more. But to be honest I will not make them only for myself. But if it's something you would be interested in, I will be happy to make them for your modpack?

I'd definitely recommend that you don't make new free play storylines.
We will actually be removing all superfluous ones very soon.
I might get started on doing that tomorrow.

Since the interface allows full customization for most storylines, including the original one, players can already create every starting character they might want.

Differences between them will be linked to various choices you make.
But not through separate storylines anymore because that is just messy.
Too many copies of the same file are a pain to work with and is asking for trouble.

If you do have ideas to distinguish between different pre made characters, feel free to post them though.
Perhaps we can link those to player types and models and such to really make different starting choices result in different starting scenarios.
That is a fairly complex thing we want to set up, but it would be great when we manage it.
Not just for PotC but also as experimenting for Hearts of Oak.

For your other ideas, did you say you already made the code changes too?
You can make one thread and include a zip containing all files you modified.
That would be easiest for implementation.

I'd suggest also you have a look through the recent posts on the Build Beta & Brainstorming forum to see what we're working on right now.
We have some pretty big plans that we're trying to accomplish.
Your comments and possibly your support for those would be quite welcome.

Uhh it sounds nice. I look forward to try it out!

I will definitely think about different starting scenarios - it sounds fun! When I read the program file, I might even be able to write some for you. - But it depends on how cryptic the codes are.

For these ideas here, I have only made the code changes for the worldmap distance - unfortunately not entirely without errors. When I get time I will try to make the fully and upload it. For without errors it definitely gives an improved gaming experience. You really get the feeling of hunting a ship down and prepare your attack.

I promise to look through it when I get time. So I'll meddle in the development, ideas and support where I can :)

Back