• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Cutthroats

weltall

Landlubber
Cutthroats was my first pirate game and the reason I looked more into them as time passed. I still remember how amazed I was. Going around the sea sinking ships or capturing them and going on shore to pillage cities or even make them my own. Sadly the game crashed while i was attacking a city with a huge army and the save got corrupted for its own reason. I really miss the ability of being able to make ports my own. Aw well. Good old times.

there was a patch to fix that crash. it's a stock game bug. the CD's are no longer being made though and were rather uncommon to being with, so you'll probably have to download it somewhere. and being as uncommon as it is, i suspect it won't have windows 7 compatibility.

Thanks for the reply. Well I guess I will try to look for it online. I know its ancient but I would love to play it even once more. I will try DOSBox and see if it will work ok.

So long as you don't try running it on a 64-bit copy of Windows 7 - none of my older games work on this machine because of that, since it sounds like, from rooting around on the net, many of them work in the 32-bit version of the OS.

Well if someone still want to play the game, make a Virtual Pc with Windows 98 within your Win 7 or XP. Sound and colours are not so good but the game itself runs better and fewer crashes

Ah, Cutthroats! It was also my first Pirate game, despite being a super old game (which I quite like actually) I only discovered it probably last year as I was getting tired of other games and wanted to experience something new.

Absolutely loved what little of it I could play. Not at all compatible with Windows 7; it would crash every few minutes, Bird's Eye mode equaled an insta - crash, and I literally had to save the game after EVERY action, but man was that game gold aside from those issues.

Ever since then I've been on the search for a Pirate game that could rival Cutthroats. Tried others like Sea Dogs, the Port Royale Series, and of course Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004) but none quite had the charm of Cutthroats. Searched Google high and low until I discovered this site (just today actually), so now I'm pinning my hopes on Hearts of Oak.

Hearst of Oak will take quite a while before being anywhere close to playable.

Have you tried Pirates of the Caribbean yet? WITH our modpack, of course? :cheeky
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

I don't think I've ever seen Cutthroats. Is it Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas? Are there any videos from that game? I'm curious.

I think it is Cutthroats : Terror of the High Seas. There exists another game with name "Cutthroats" but it has something do do with diving in ship wrecks or something.

The game itself is a kind of a "Pirates" clone.

Yes, it's from 1999. But it has a remarkable music. Some tunes are very catchy.
Here is a compilation of all music tracks from the game with some loading and game menu screens. (but unfortunately no gameplay videos. :( )

Hearst of Oak will take quite a while before being anywhere close to playable.

Have you tried Pirates of the Caribbean yet? WITH our modpack, of course? :cheeky
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

I don't think I've ever seen Cutthroats. Is it Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas? Are there any videos from that game? I'm curious.

Yes, I am aware of that. Incidentally, I'd quite like to contribute to it. I'm no coder or modeler or anything of that sort, but these past few days I have been sort of thinking of what I would consider and would like to be able to do in a "perfect pirate game." It seems Hearts of Oak is about what I've been thinking of, so I'd like to share some ideas. I've already looked at the official Concept and that alone was enough to convince me to make a profile here and learn more about it.

I'm actually trying that very thing as I type this! I'm eager to see what you guys have done with it since I'd heard nothing but praise about New Horizons so far.

And yes indeed it is Terror of the High Seas. Now that I think about I wish I had taken some Screenshots/captures of my playing, but they'd be riddled with crashes and negative - coloured graphics since I never could get the game to go run stably for more than six or seven minutes. Perhaps I'll find you guys a Google image or two of the game.

Well, your input on Hearts of Oak will be much appreciated.

And if you'd care to join in our enjoyment and efforts on making New Horizons better, that'd be welcome as well.

Excellent. I will be happy to do both. I was actually intending to introduce myself somewhere, but was unable to find the proper thread to do so in.

i loved cutthroats terror on the high seas, and still have it. ill have to check and see but i think it can run on my current desktop, may take a few wks to get the cd cuz i moved and its still in a box @ my moms house.

If you can get it to work, be sure to play on my behalf. I was half tempted either install Windows 95/98 on a virtual drive or even see if I could commandeer my grandparents old computer just to play this game properly without the hassle of spending more time reopening the program than playing.

Anyone who still play this game with a Dosbox ? I also have tried this, but it took at least 3 minutes to start the game and every saving 30 seconds or longer. Any help are valuable.

ok i have got this to work on windows 7 with no compatibility options on,just run on administrator with patch 6 installed still crashes occasionally but it always did so save often

edit 1
have it working with patch 7 now same way

most colour problems can be alt tabbed away except for some border colours appearing pink in my game

edit 2
only crash i can consistently reproduce is a crash on cruise mode after roughly 30 seconds of it
displaying it then crashes but all other screenns are stable battle mode and map screen

Last edited:
Wow, 5 years passed since I was looking for a way to play this. Thanks to everyone that since then commented and the people that tested it with patches and shared their experiences! I am going to try it once more, in hopes that it will work.

Back