1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Not a Bug Day cycle seems speed up during direct sailing

Discussion in 'Bug Archive' started by Wolf93, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Wolf93

Wolf93 Landlubber

Student
    Good evening, lads. This may probably be not a bug, but I found it to be quite amusing; I won't say I researched it thoroughly in the forums (mainly because I didn't know what terms to use), but couldn't find anything about it, except InternalSettings.h editing (more below).

Basically, the "bug" consists of the following: when sailing by yourself (i.e., not using the World Map), I've noticed that for every hour (or two bells), one day passes! To be more clear, let's say I set sail the August 18th at 8:00. Now, I want to meet some totally-not-shady gentlemen in a near beach, one sails directly, no need of pesky maps. So, once we hit 9:00 on the clock, the Earth must rotate really fast, since apparently now it's August 19th!

All of this happened with the latest Beta 4.1, plus fixes and etc, in Realistic mode. As I commented to Mr. Boelen, maybe it's an intended feature to make direct sailing more... difficult? The only other thing that I can think of, is that maybe I broke something while touching the InternalSettings.h and NK.c.

I barely edited the TIMESCALARs (and by barely I mean from 10 to 2 in land, for example). Funnily enough, I didn't edit TIMESCALAR_SEA. I'll upload the files anyways if you want to check something out. I could also upload the .logs too, although I kept playing a little after I noticed this, so I'd have to do more sailing for it to show up. :wp

Attached Files:

2. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    This is indeed intentional, because the scale in 3D Sailing Mode does not match with the WorldMap.
    If this weren't done, then you could sail to another island using the map in several days, while the same trip would take only hours of you do it in DirectSail.
    This is why the "add one day for every hour" was added to get both methods of travel more in line.

An alternate fix is to adjust the scale of 3D Sailing Mode.
    You can do this by enabling the Open Sea Mod at the top of InternalSettings.h .
    Warning: DirectSail trips between islands will take a LOT more real time of you do that.
    But you can give it a try and see if you like it better. :doff

3. Wolf93

Wolf93 Landlubber

Student
    I knew it! My sailing is a little rusty but I might give it a go then :D Thanks!

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  4. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Conversely, if you don't want each hour to be a new day while sailing round an island, you can press '0' to disable Direct Sail. Of course, if you've done that, you won't be able to get to another island except via Worldmap, and you'll get frequent on-screen reminders that you've disabled DirectSail.

It's also worth doing this if you've just won a sea battle and there are some surrendered ships waiting to be boarded. One of the most annoying things that can happen is that a nice big merchant ship has surrendered, you're sailing towards it to plunder it - then you get "Land Ho!", you're near a different island, and the ship has disappeared. :modding

Wolf93 likes this.
  5. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Good point, @Grey Roger! :onya

Do you reckon those on-screen messages are needlessly annoying?
    It would be easy to switch those off. :yes

6. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

They're not all that annoying, and on occasion have been useful in reminding me to re-enable DirectSail after I've disabled it for one of the above reasons.

Pieter Boelen likes this.