• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Developer Podcasts

I'd suggest yourself for the first one, actually. You are, after all, the person who started it for real and are the primary supporter as well, at least in my book.
Then Post Captain would be a great person to do the second episode, which could include more details on our dedication to historical realism.

I'm happy to try 'hosting' the first one if I can find a way to record my voice with reasonable quality and if some guineapigs don't think my voice is too annoying/unpleasant to listen to. If it is, the idea might have to go on the back burner somewhat if we can't find anyone else. I'd need someone to chat to about the game, though. Post Captain might indeed be a good choice, as might Thagarr (or even you, Armada :p). We'll have to see. I think developer podcasts often work best when there's two (or more) people there and they're just chatting fairly casually about the game, with maybe a few questions to help shape the conversation. If we can't find anyone, perhaps it'd be better to do a developer blog that has written 'interviews' with people instead. I don't know, but I think it'd probably do the game a lot of good to have some kind of active outreach, although it does run the risk of encouraging people to come in and make unwelcome demands.

EDIT: I typed this simultaneously to Pieter's last message so although it might look like I think he means me, I know he doesn't.

A chat indeed sounds better to me than a monologue of some kind. And written interviews and articles are always a possibility as well, of course.
Personally I much prefer reading, but it might be quicker for some people to just record a thing and be done with it.
For sure actually posting stuff semi-regularly would go a long way to getting noticed by more people than we are.

EDIT: I typed this simultaneously to Pieter's last message so although it might look like I think he means me, I know he doesn't.
LOL! My message still shows as response to Armada's... :wp

Post Captain
Post Captain
Post Captain

:shock

(I'm only kidding!)
I do, however, lack a way to communicate while recording. My schedule is also a little erratic. Saturdays sound like the best days for the podcasts, but I'm either gone on Pilgrim the entire day or traveling. I'll definitely see what happens in the next few months, though.

I personally like the idea of written interviews. You can answer questions in more detail , and there's less of a chance of tangents and neglecting to touch certain points. I think that it all depends on the types of questions being asked. Concrete versus conversational, open-ended discussion. It also solves the time zone issue quite nicely- Most of you are probably ready to climb into bed right now, while it's still perfectly bright outside over here on... wait for it... The Far Side of the World. I'd usually end up answering any questions three hours from the current time.

Here's another idea that just popped into my head: Youtube slideshow/podcasts. We could basically use the verbal interview format edited to correspond with certain slides to help illustrate our points.

An example: We're discussing the sailing aspect of the game, and I show a Maya render I've cooked up too illustrate how players will have to shorten sail in heavy weather (HINT). That way I could avoid using bulky technical explanations that nobody will really understand. The same benefits apply to all topics, but they really come in into their own with the more abstruse and nebulous topics. A picture is worth a thousand words.

That might also gain more views than a simple podcast. It might even piggyback on the attention given to the AC4 videos- with 64,000 views in three days, someone's bound to watch some of the related clips. Then we'll need the obligatory "Unlike some games being developed which claim to be accurate..."

I don't want to come across as all 'I already knew that' but it was my intention to do exactly that - apologies if I didn't make that clear. I figured we could have a cover slide of the logo, etc. and then point out various things (people are likely to listen to us minimised, so we'd need to tell them to look at the video) - asset renders as you say, concept art, and later gameplay videos, etc. - maybe music too.

When you say you don't have a way to communicate while recording, do you mean you don't have a microphone? Written interviews as part of a devblog are also definately not incompatible with having a podcast as well, although we might want to choose one or the other at first because otherwise we'll have a duplication of material which will make it look like we don't have much stuff to show off.

Back