• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Dialogs: Spelling Errors

speaking of dialogs i spotted this later but didn't post as i thought spelling errors are probably the lowest priority. anyway: Screenshot
Not a huge priority, perhaps; but VERY easily fixed. And I absolutely hate spelling errors; looks SO unprofessional. :whipa
So if you run into any other such errors, you're welcome to report them.

Or better yet: Correct them and post the files here. That is the easiest bit of modding there is, but is a good start to bigger and better things!
In this case, the file is PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow\dialogs\ENGLISH\Thomas Tipman_Dialog.h so I'm changing those two lines to:
Code:
"Hello again captain, back so soon? I haven't heard anything new yet.",
"No, no, it's not that. I have a proposition for you. I need to find someone on #sisland_Isla Muelle#, and I think you might be just the man to find out where he is.",
:cheers

Both @Pieter Boelen and I are not native english speaking so if you find any please fix them :). Also feel free to comment on dialogs in general. Some are written mostly as placeholder untill someone can come up with something better. So if you think the dialog is weird or doesn't fit feel free to post it and correct it.

Both @Pieter Boelen and I are not native english speaking so if you find any please fix them :).
Hey, I reckon I'm pretty darn good with English! :whipa

If I had the time, I'd like to go through the whole game and fix all the dialogs I can find myself.
I once started doing that on some of Bartolomeu's sidequests, but for some reason stopped halfway into the First Contact one.
So if you notice the quality of the spelling suddenly drops halfway into that one, you know why. :facepalm

i am not a native speaker either but i guess i could try to help with something simple like that. i like to thing i'm pretty good too! maybe after i get more experienced with the game i could come up with some new dialogues for witty Jack! will see... i'll just lay low for now :unsure

something else i remembered from playing the beta 3.4 still exists. in charlestown when asking for the location of the tavern Screenshot
i guess this dialogue is only for charlestown as it is very specific? where can i find this?

i think i found it in "Charlestown_citizen_dialog.h" after i correct these does the game need a restart?

PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\Charlestown_citizen_dialog.h

That "\n" is meant to signify a new line. Strange how that sometimes works (for Malcolm Hatcher) but sometimes not (like here).
I'll just get rid of that. :doff

Moved this here. If anyone notices any error please post them

new stuff:
a couple of lines fixed here: Screenshot

and something i finished today. yesterday i went to muscetto cove, met tia dalma and the dialogue looked too... normal for me, as i remember how she spoke in the movies. so i decided to change it a little bit for my game. i upload it, you can use/edit/totally ignore it you don't like it. and some pics to see how it looks like ingame:
tia_dalma1.jpg tia_dalma2.jpg tia_dalma3.jpg tia_dalma4.jpg tia_dalma5.jpg tia_dalma6.jpg tia_dalma7.jpg

Attachments

• Tia Dalma_dialog NEW DRAFT.h
    4.9 KB · Views: 128
  • SantoDomingo citizen_dialog.h
    9.1 KB · Views: 126
Brilliant on both accounts, @jack sparring!
I definitely welcome you adding some more character to the dialogs as well. Several of them are indeed quite bland.

In fact, I dare say all the player dialog in the Jack Sparrow storylines is too; it IS Jack Sparrow whom you're playing, after all!
Of course I always figured that he never started out as being quite as Sparrowey as he ended up;
but some time before the first movie, the player should pretty much be the Sparrow we all know and love. :cheeky

Oh... and welcome to the Storm Engine Modders, mate. :cheers

i just saw this :woot i am honoured to be in the pirate team :cool:

i know i am not really a modder, i can't really code anything here, i was first in my class at programming though :p.

Of course I always figured that he never started out as being quite as Sparrowey as he ended up;
but some time before the first movie, the player should pretty much be the Sparrow we all know and love. :cheeky

my thoughts exactly. i don't know if i can actually simulate the way he thought and talked. i think this could be really challenging

i know i am not really a modder, i can't really code anything here, i was first in my class at programming though :p.
Small modding is modding too. And small starts can lead to bigger things later.
I remember starting out very small myself many years ago. And I ended up learning enough to really be a great help in my professional job. :woot

my thoughts exactly. i don't know if i can actually simulate the way he thought and talked. i think this could be really challenging
Could be fun as well, though!
Anyway, feel free to improve what you want. Don't need to get everything perfect overnight. ;)

Or if you're up for some more straight-forward spelling correcting, I know some other files which are ATROCIOUS!
They are the ones in PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH named "random_*_dialog.h" .
These are mainly for the Crewmembers on Shore encounters.

i just saw this :woot i am honoured to be in the pirate team :cool:

That's how I started out - correcting errors in dialog.h files. Then I moved on to minor alterations to program files, and have now progressed to writing an extension to one of the storylines. By this time next year you will probably have also done at least a bit of coding. ;)

Incidentally, there's a lot of stuff in "SantoDomingo citizen_dialog.h" which doesn't apply to Santo Domingo because the file appears to have been originally copied from "falaise de fleur citizen_dialog.h", which is why you won't have noticed a couple of mistakes which also exist in the original. So here it is with those mistakes fixed. (Tomasina is no longer "elligible" and the people now know the correct spelling of Baldewyn Coffier's name. :D)

Attachments

• falaise de fleur citizen_dialog.h
    9.6 KB · Views: 147
@Grey Roger so far i am only fixing errors as i encounter them ingame so i was not always fixing the full file or checking for the same in others even though i suspected most are copy-paste from the same origin. i did see lines about tomasina and fred bob in there but thought that maybe they are used because french colonies know about other french colonies or whatever... i didn't want to mess anything up.

i have started making a few changes to jack sparrow dialogues while playing and now i reached the part with Couch Captain Charles. Ok by the name alone i figured jack would have a comment or two about this so i need to know how to add dialogue lines. i guess i should also change something in the '.c' files or something?

also i need to know the location of the quest book updates file, i have some ideas on gradually adding some comments in the updates without changing the already existing intsructions.

Back