• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dialogue and Quest

Acknuth

Landlubber
Storm Modder
I every one !

Working on a fresh new Pirate RPG sound to be a good chalenge...I'am in !

I can bring an help with the composition of commun dialogue,quest and/or dynamic quest......But my english is not very good so the text will need to be check by someone to make sure all the fault is remouved.......

On Aop2 I build the "AckMod" and on this one I composed 2 main dynamical quest and many secondary quest,for an average of 90 mission.....I also give more interaction to common pnj like citizen and Raiders....

Even if that not my speciality,I can brig an help for the adding of goods,setting of the canons and other thing.....

:ahoy

Currently, we are still in a very early stage of development. This means it will still take quite some time before quests can be created. You could help by creating an interesting story, this means writing the story as well as thinking of the locations and characters. This could also help me with creating the questing system when the time comes, it's easier when there's a clear list of requirements.

Hi every one !

I know that at this time,the project is still a new born baby and it will take time to get the plateform I need to begin my work....
For now,the only questing system I know like my own house is Aop2 cuz I spend the last two years on it,but I learn quikly and can adapt to other form of program.....All what we need is a good communication ;)

In the Ackmod,I build story with war between Pirates and/or Squeleton clan.....Often,I work without defenitive plans,this allow me to adapte the story in fonction of the capacity of the engine or by-pass some situation who can cause bug....With a no dynamical quest its easier to follow a plan because the player have to follow a predetermine line but with dynamical quest,this is the PNJ who must adapt in fonction of the player descisions......When you get 3 or 4 PNJ in interaction and get many possibility with each of them,the quest can easilly drift away....When this come,I just follow the wind and build all the branch needed like a spider web....

So,before beguinning to write a story,I have to know some thing:

what is the limit ?The new game will be vanilla type or for adult player ?

Can I use skeleton model or there is only human type ?

Can I use aboriginal ?

I have to get an idea of what will be the extent of the map......
I must also know if the player can kept the colonies he manages to looted .... If so from when? (translate by google)

It is probably too early to answer many of these questions ...... But I can not wait to get to work :bounce

Vanilla or adult? That needs to be broken into two parts. Blood and guts. Nudity.

How much reality do we want? Yelling and screaming with blood spraying everywhere with intestines spilling onto the ground and hands and feet flying around is real. Been there done that both in reality and games. I don't want that much realism.

Nudity? Only in certain situations and then not much. Suggestive clothing is better than nudity.

I vote for human only for the beginning quests. Fantasy can come later. Aboriginals? Yes!

We do not yet know how big the map will be. Probably bigger than COAS.

Capture Colonies mod? :shrug

As far as I'm concerned, if you want skeletons in your story, you can have skeletons in your story.
You're dependent on whether we can convince any modelers to make them though.

In the meantime, I'd first of all like to congratulate you publicly on your hard work on the French modpack.
I'm looking forward to downloading it and having a look at it once I get back home in a few months.
Hopefully we can get our collaboration to take off and combine it with the work we have here at PiratesAhoy!
I'm always for combining the best of all worlds! :dance

Hi every one !

Thanks Pieter...

Maybe when I finish the last part of the work and if we can find someone to translate the text.....For now all my work is in french and I dont trust a mecanical program to translate,I feared we lost the meaning of the text and this may bring more questions than I can anwser in one days......The translation must be done by an human who can size the meaning of the sentences....I dont want to implant bugs on your work.....

Hylie Pistof,by adult I mean the trade of illegal stuff like opium (contraband) ,human trade,kidnapping,some hard interrogation with prisonners,Brothel e.c.t....Like the pirates really live....

Sure a minimum of blood and nudity can bring realism but like you I do not think we have gone to the extreme and in bad taste....By the way,in the Ackmod I change the censored screen by nude paintings from art gallery...Nothing for anyone traumatized,It is soft picks but less cheesy than the original image....If someone is traumatized by it....he's not a real pirate ......... (google translator)

You say:"Capture Colonies mod?"

In Aop2,without mod when you finish one of the main quest,you get the ability to conserve for you all the colonies you can conquer by the sea way....When you build quest you need to know if the colonie is under control of his original nation or under control of the player under Pirate,Spain,England nation.....For example, if I ask the player to visit a French colony and the colony came under the hand of Spain ..... It'll cause a misunderstanding or worst......
I can code to find if the colonie is under control of the player but there is a limit of variable I can add to each "case".To add more variable I have to extend the dialogue and put more aftershocks, which becomes difficult when you want to retain some logique.More complex for the player too,who has relevant information filtered and those who are just filling.....(google translator)

I would not need a lot of skeletons .... Just a few and the few characters that are familiar to the fan of Ackmod ... Among other things, Kthulhu, Kali (the devilish little girl),some pirate leader as Djabir, Walter and Apo (he is the pimp in the Bridgetown brothel),some Aboriginal (Nongak chief) and his henchmen,Edward Moors (the banker), Captain Cameroon (a british officer).....

With a maximum of varied locations, it's almost all what I need to keep you going ....

Well ... I must forget something because there's always something to which one to not think about.....(google translator)

I do not plan to build a long quest but rather build a kind of dynamic company that would adapt itself to the type of player and his actions....

I don't know about you guys but i really don't want this to be like trolls sailing mystical ships around an invisible ocean. In my opinion, this should be a period accurate simulation with period accurate characters, weaponry, and quests. As for realism, blood and guts everywhere is insanely disgusting and would certainly take away a lot of value to the game itself. Nudity should not be allowed at all and prostitution (as in AOP2) should not really be a feature because, well........... THERE'S NO POINT AT ALL! Unless it's relevant or absolutely necessary to aid the story of the quests, I say it shouldn't be there. If you guys like my ideas, I would be honored to aid in the construction of the story in this great idea for a game

redbox331: I'm pretty much with you on this. We have to have a realistic world first. The fantasy stuff can come later when we have many different quests.

Brothels were very common back then. Have you ever lived in a Navy town?

Can we PLEASE allow people who like fantasy to like that? I know there's a lot to be said for realism, and I agree, but really I've seen too much attacking (for lack of a better word right now) of that lately.

well I think that a large part of why there is so much backlash against fantasy suggestions is because one of the main reasons that this game is being worked on is that the games currently out there include way too much fantasy/vodoo elements. It seems sort of defeating the point to have them in this game, because we kind of set out not to have them, and it seems so refreshing without them. I personally don't have a problem with fantasy elements being in there as long as I don't hear about them or have to have any interaction with them ingame. we should probably figure out how we are going to do the storyline/quest system so we can determine how exactly we can keep the different elements seperate.

I know we like realism. But we have to allow the other people their ideas as well.
It's going to be a community game and eventually should end up having everything that everyone wants. That's the goal, right?
We may not start out with having everything, but that is what I'd want to work towards and as such everybody should be allowed to have their opinion.

Anyway, I'm really tired today, so please bear with me if I may be a bit blunt here. I just thought that this needed to be pointed out.

no worries, sorry if I came across as uncompromising. just as long as we can come up with a system to keep the realistic and fantasy elements seperate I think everyone will be happy.

I'm not against fantasy. I do want to see this game have a realistic base. Once that is achieved, then the story tellers can do what they want.

i think people hate fantasy because there is no realistic sailing game, and story is so dull, so unbelievable, that people grow wary of fantasy elements in general.
did you guys really hate lord of rings movies? or better book. do you guys didn't enjoy reading harry potter book(if you read all of them from beginning to the end)
anything if polished and use in appropriate situation can be fun, and interesting, i think what people are concerned about is more logic rather than fantasy, if a story created with detail and precision it will attract almost anyone.(no flaw, no creating stuff without any reason,) what i really like is a believable world, no made up concept, that there is exactly no reason to exist, i don't like stuff that is only there to attract people. but i like a dragon if a story is about the dragon in the first place.
now some developers actually push the dragon to their game, it dose not have any place, so it remain an oddity.
dragon = a general fantasy or even realistic concept that most people like it.
not sure how you think about it though, this is what i feel.

nudity actually is counter productive, suggestive talk, suggestive behavior is far more interesting and effective :p(as Hylie Pistof said too.)
i am with Hylie in blood and gore too, of course a little blood is needed for a believable world, but too much blood is (sorry to say) sick. (anyone saw "happy tree friend" :|).

We don't necessarily hate fantasy. I like the Elder Scrolls series, since they were able to create a believable, realistic world with its own history, science, etc. It would just be a better idea to start without it. There are plenty of fantasy games out there to keep people occupied (Including a few of the same genre- CoAS, PotC) until we do add in fantasy elements.

(I do want to be able to entirely avoid it. It would ruin the game for me, yes ruin it, if I were trying to play as a captain in the Royal Navy cruising against French merchantmen and I got attacked by an enormous squid, or skeletons yelling "yo ho," and "arrrr!")

Edit:
Brothels were very common back then. Have you ever lived in a Navy town?

Portsmouth, for example, was full of prostitutes wandering the streets, ready to take advantage of the returning seamen, who were suffering from a three year long deficit of that kind of activity.

It wasn't uncommon to see prostitutes rowing out to men of war and crowding in.

Whether we like it or not, they were a prominent feature in most nautical towns.

(I do want to be able to entirely avoid it. It would ruin the game for me, yes ruin it, if I were trying to play as a captain in the Royal Navy cruising against French merchantmen and I got attacked by an enormous squid, or skeletons yelling "yo ho," and "arrrr!")
seconded, fantasy must be completely avoidable. prostitution was no doubt prominent in nautical towns, but the question is if it is worth including in the game? I mean it would add realism, but its not like you can do much with it, it is a video game after all.

How much reality do we want? Yelling and screaming with blood spraying everywhere with intestines spilling onto the ground and hands and feet flying around is real. Been there done that both in reality and games. I don't want that much realism.

I am not a gore-hound, however making a game in the 18th century, where splinters caused heavy damage, cutlasses and boarding axes dismembered limbs and the main curing method for most wounds were amputation requires blood and dismemberment. Ignoring this has a touch of naivety. However there should be the option to regulate the level of violence just like in Fallout. This way everyone would be pleased.

I am not proposing an unrealistic exaggerated amount of blood. There are only about 5-6 litres of it in the body.

Moreover it would be not wise to allow dismemberment with every kind of weapon only cut-and thrust weapons and axes should be able to be able to it, besides cannonballs.

i am with Hylie in blood and gore too, of course a little blood is needed for a believable world, but too much blood is (sorry to say) sick. (anyone saw "happy tree friend" :|).

Yes I agree with you. It should be a realistic amount of it (combined with dismemberment) and the option to regulate it, so that there are only the common "clouds" and the realistic spurts with half-hanging noses, lost limbs and so forth.

As for realism, blood and guts everywhere is insanely disgusting and would certainly take away a lot of value to the game itself.

Featuring blood and gore and dismemberment does not mean that every cut with an edged weapon will lead to it. Dismemberment was something fencers tried to avoid. Yet it happened. However if a cannonball hits a limb the chances of being dismembered were very high (depending on the rest of the kinetic energy).

Nudity should not be allowed at all and prostitution (as in AOP2) should not really be a feature because, well........... THERE'S NO POINT AT ALL! Unless it's relevant or absolutely necessary to aid the story of the quests, I say it shouldn't be there. If you guys like my ideas, I would be honored to aid in the construction of the story in this great idea for a game

Why? This was very common in these days if you like it or not. It was there and therefore it should be also featured to some extent in a historical simulation IMHO.

did you guys really hate lord of rings movies? or better its book. do you guys didn't enjoy reading harry potter book(if you read all of them from beginning to the end).
at the same time did you liked 007? or batman? (they try to be realistic , you cant say its not possible to do such things)

dismemberment should not be in the game, come on how the player who lost both his arms play the game anymore. as i said too much reality make the game unplayable.
i am sure even hardcore fans of realism don't like to loss their body parts, its too much realism. (i don't think you want to add dismemberment only to your enemies do you?)

dismemberment should not be in the game, come on how the player who lost both his arms play the game anymore. as i said too much reality make the game unplayable.
i am sure even hardcore fans of realism don't like to loss their body parts, its too much realism. (i don't think you want to add dismemberment only to your enemies do you?)

Therefore I said that there should be the option of regulating the amount of violence. And yes you're right! The player should also have the chance of being dismembered. I know you're right this would frustrate people and therefore this should be an option.

Back