• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Different Shipyard Sale Prices for Naval Officers/Privateers

So am I to understand that nobody actually appreciates any efforts to distinguish between the various ways of lasting the game?
The whole "anything goes" logic in the game so far makes really very little sense.

You can sink and capture ships all you like and nobody really cares and there are no consequences.
You can take whatever you like and nobody bats an eye.
Actually joining the Pirates becomes completely pointless because you already HAVE all the freedom you could possibly want.
Joining the Pirates just makes everyone hostile. While being a Privateer only gives you benefits.

Does that truly make for good gameplay?

What I would hope for is for each choice to have both positive and negative consequences.
Play the game without allegiance and you won't be able to take ships without the nations getting upset and you won't make all that much money from it.
Become a Privateer and then you can, but you'll get still limited money and will be bound by certain rules that indicate what you can and can't do.
Join the Pirates and you'll be free from those rules, but you'll be hostile to all nations and non-pirate towns can become dangerous places.

In other words: pros and cons all around.
There won't be ideal situations anymore.
Definitely not as easy as it once was.

I always imagined there is MORE gameplay to be gained from that, not less.
Is that not what true role playing is all about?
To actually place you in the shoes of a real character whose difficult choices are yours to make.

And then there is the extra replay value.
Rather than always playing the game in the same way, you could play as a pirate one time and a Privateer the next.
Or play a Privateer who becomes a pirate or the other way around?

Am I being completely off my rocker with there thoughts?

Certainly not - what I am hearing is that people ( ie the 4 or 5 involved in these limited observations) are comfortable with how they have/do play the game and don't want to lose what works for them in the process. After all they are still involved a decade+ after the original so it must be working for them. It's a case of being protective of what you have until you tip your toe in the water and find out if new is better for you or not. Unfortunately the judgement of what is better cannot be resolved and internalised through a simple discussion it requires actual playing experiences over time. Pretty much classic reaction to change.

I am still trying to think through the specific question of a reasonable compromise for the ship capture use prize /no prize and the shipyard for the interim, so the game can go to the wider audience and get feedback, so I'll come back later on that one.

However with "playing as a Pirate (or even pirate)" I don't see that limiting other styles just to make it more "attractive" or balanced with them is the way forward. The restrictions of pirate relations are always going to work against that - I would see it more as a sell in terms of "You've prospered as a merchant, you've cleaned up the Caribbean working for the authorities now can you take on the harsh conditions facing a pirate - few safe havens, hunted by the authorities but still righting wrongs* - Can YOU prosper as one of the Pirates of the Caribbean?". Much more in the Iron Man or stormy start end of the spectrum of play and perhaps with the hint that that is the end goal for a serious player?

*= fulfilling side quests

@pedrwyth: There is indeed one upgrade that cannot be removed. But the other ones can be.
We could put a hard coded number in their sale though so they always sell for substantially less than their purchase price.

The main reason I'm thinking about all this is because the value of the bare hull compared to the rest of the ship and cargo isn't so high.
So a difference between 20% or 80% on just that becomes so small that it ends up hardly factoring into the gameplay.
And that makes it nearly pointless to have that feature at all.

@Talisman: Thanks for the kind words. Though I have to admit I'm not quite comforted just yet.
I'd expect that you could would have more will considered opinions than the people "out there".
If nobody here actually welcomes these changes, what are the chances that the general public will?

I realise that all of this will change the very core of the gameplay and that is specifically the point of it.
Eventually I want to include reputation and fame into it all in some sensible way as well.
Then there will truly be many, many different ways of playing.
With deliberately none being completely ideal; they'll just be different in true role playing style.

But if that isn't wanted, then what's the point?
If I can't convince even our forum members here of that being a good thing, it won't be met with more approval after the public release either.
And with a bit of luck annoy all the regular players enough to drive them away. Nice!

And on @pedrwyth's second post: Does it not make sense for Piracy to have less rules to annoy you and be proper profitable?
I'd imagine a situation where Privateer players may get disappointed with the profits or annoyed with the rules imposed on them and decide to turn pirate because of that.
Or to walk a fine line between respectable Privateer and stepping occasionally on the other side of the law.

That seems quite appropriate because a Privateer of one side may be considered a pirate by the other.
So I would want it to be possible to combine the two to become some sort of half respectable pirate Privateer.
But that won't ever happen if there is no actual point in doing that because privateering is already fine by itself.

If we change all the inner workings of the game in such a way that old time players like you guys can keep doing exactly what you've been doing for years, then I might as well not bother changing things at all.
With what I've got in mind, things will be different for everyone.
But hopefully manageable, playable and done in such a way that it adds a brand new layer to the gameplay because it encourages players to consider what to do with their career and how to develop their character.

In the end, I am SO hoping for people to post stories of all the unexpected situations they got in and how they dealt with them.
The story of the respectable pirate who became famous and turned Privateer.
The Naval Officer who was kicked out of the service for Smuggling and became a pirate a blood thirsty pirate feared by all.
The Merchant who lost his license, got a LoM but sold the cargo of his prize ships to the smugglers for his own profit.
And everything inbetween that I haven't thought of yet.

There will always be players wanting the big things. The big ships, the big ranks, the big fame. That is all there in the Naval parts of the game. The Pirate parts work like that too except for no rank.

I did all that and have lost interest in it. All I want is to sail around buying and selling cargoes and having the odd adventure.

These are my thoughts as far as differentiating pirated, prize and bought/owned ships in build 14 beta 4

Reduce money received from removing upgrades to 25% of cost, cannons already sell for 75% of cost

Privateers & Naval Officer
- Prize ships sell for 50% of the total price, taking into account cannons & upgrades (ie you get 50% of these too) and 50% for the cargo that was on board at the time of capture (based on the inventory). If any item of the cargo is not there its replacement cost is taken off the sum received since the player has already had its value.
- Can swap ships with legal prizes (not Navy until appropriate rank)
- Cannot remove cannons from legal prize ships after the initial capture, ugrade sell off prevented.
- Can add further cannons, upgrades but these too will be locked on the prize ship?
- Only get nation points on selling the prize NOT at capture (to encourage sale or recognise taken for other purpose if not sold). Until then although you have removed an enemy asset you are cheating your nation of its share of the prize money so they don't reward you.
- You can buy the ship back after prize auction to retain ownership of her (need to remember to wipe the plunder inventory after prize auction either way)

Pirated ships:
- Pirated ships sell for 20% of the total price, taking into account cannons, upgrades
- This increases to 90% if you join the Pirates
- Cannons, upgrades and cargo sales not prevented (if in due course of play this appears too lucrative for non Pirates then revert to cannot remove cannons from pirated ships after the initial capture - although no logic to it).

Remove the 50% privateer commission (deduction) outside the shipyard.

For the @Pieter Boelen scenario "You can pirate ships even if you aren't a Pirate, simply by doing it under a pirate flag". Prevent this by making attack under any flag in the pirate set major piracy which is what it is (If you want "true" RPG style eventually then it's not just a pretty flag to play with). You'll quickly join the Pirates and thus get 90% of ship values.

If you want a "pretty flag" option (pirate flag but not a pirate) then add a straight skull and crossbones as one choice of personal flag which would perhaps allow you to play as an "honourable" pirate (whatever that oxymoron entails) gradually moving to be a Pirate through disreputable acts (assuming as "honourable" you don't attack pirates?) however false that may be.

This would leave a lesser class of pirated ships as those captured ships (which would be obtained through "disrepectable acts" because you don't have a LoM under an enemy or personal flag) these you get 20% for. It would be nice longer term if "who fired first" would allow non nation serving players to defend themselves AND take the ship as a prize rather than pirated when attacked.

Last edited:
Thanks for thinking along, @pedrwyth! :cheers

One thing is clear: This isn't quite going to be a quick fix, is it? Will need quite a bit of development and evolution one way or another....

Not sure about only giving relation points when selling prize ships.
That doesn't match with sinking them, so would require another special case to be created.
And when selling, do you get points with ALL nations you have an appropriate LoM with or only the one you sold the ship to?
If only one, then you could actually get more points for just sinking....

Alternative would be to keep points as-is, but ALSO give points to ONLY the nation you sell later.
So you get bonus points for capturing ships. But then what if you sell the ship at a hostile shipyard or at least one of a nation you don't have a LoM with?
Right now that isn't prevented and the intention was to keep it that way since we can't send off prize ships on their own just yet.

Cannon and upgrade sell prices are handled in a different spot from the hull sell prices.
Affecting them all equally in a sensible way will require some more figuring out too.
Should theoretically be possible though.

For some reason I cannot seem to wrap my head around the formula to take into account the prize cargo AND what is left on board when you actually sell.
It should be really simple, should it? But I'll probably have to start coding to actually get it clear for myself. :facepalm

As for pirated ships, I'm quite curious about some sort of system where you cannot really sell off your pirated stuff in ANY store.
Perhaps allow selling the ship, but only for 20% of the price with cargo included.
And only allow selling the cargo at pirate stores (for terrible prices) OR to smugglers, but not to honest merchants.
That would have the potential of making for some different style gameplay than being all honest and respectable.

When it comes to "acts of piracy", it would be easy enough to have any act under a pirate flag be considered proper evil as well.
There is sense to that, but I'm afraid that will REALLY mess players up.
We also decided before that "attacking under a friendly flag" should be worse than "attacking under a hostile pirate one".

Assuming that we can get it to work, the "who fired first" mechanic would easily become a "get out of jail free" card.
Just wait for another ship to fire first and you can do whatever you want after that without the limitations of having a LoM.
Seems a bit too convenient to me to truly make for good gameplay.... :oops:

For some reason I cannot seem to wrap my head around the formula to take into account the prize cargo AND what is left on board when you actually sell.
It should be really simple, should it? But I'll probably have to start coding to actually get it clear for myself.
I think it's (a 100% of the value of goods on board minus 50% of the value of the inventory at capture) added to whatever the ship raised at auction.

If you have goods on board that weren't there when taken you get 100% for them
If you have more of a good than was on board you get 100% minus 50% up to what was on board, so 100% for the extra and 50% for the plunder element.
If you have exactly the right amount you get 100-50 =50%
If you have less you get 100-50= 50 for what is on board but get chargd the 50% for what is missing
If you have none left you pay 50% for all you used,sold smuggled or put on another vessel.

As for pirated ships, I'm quite curious about some sort of system where you cannot really sell off your pirated stuff in ANY store.
I'm not - when happily sailing on my own terms and I'm attacked through nation relations (which puts my self defence into a disreputable act due to programming limitations) I want to be able to recover the cost of repairs (I doubt it will pay for them all since a warship, which it must be to attack, won't be stocked with fat cargoes). However as long as such changes are kept out of beta 4 I will have a version with the bug fixes made since beta 3.4 and I can happily stick with that.

When it comes to "acts of piracy", it would be easy enough to have any act under a pirate flag be considered proper evil as well. There is sense to that, but I'm afraid that will REALLY mess players up.
We also decided before that "attacking under a friendly flag" should be worse than "attacking under a hostile pirate one".
I am not one of the "we" who decided that piracy is less of a bad act than attacking under a friendly flag - that is why I objected to self defence being minor piracy. Piracy is bad. For me it is crystal clear if you sail under a pirate flag you are a pirate and it's about time the consequences came home to roost. However that is more relevant to a "free play" concept and would probably screw up some of the storylines and side quests - which for me are the real point of the game and the rest is window dressing. So it's probably best left alone.

Does it not make sense for Piracy to have less rules to annoy you and be proper profitable?
I'd imagine a situation where Privateer players may get disappointed with the profits or annoyed with the rules imposed on them and decide to turn pirate because of that.
Isn't that why pirates get a higher percentage of prize sale value? Though it's at least as annoying if the rule is imposed on you that, in order to get maximum value, you need to join some sort of mythical pirate nation rather than operate as a free, independent pirate.

Or to walk a fine line between respectable Privateer and stepping occasionally on the other side of the law.
That's basically what you're doing if you have multiple LoM's - using them as flags of convenience rather than patriotically serving your nation. The risk there is that, since your relations don't follow those of any specific nation, you need to watch for changes of relations so you don't attack something inappropriate.

That seems quite appropriate because a Privateer of one side may be considered a pirate by the other.
In theory that shouldn't happen; the whole point of getting a LoM was to be treated as a naval officer in the service of a nation rather than an outright pirate. Spain, at least in the earlier two periods, didn't respect LoM's and sometimes a captured privateer would end his life with two things round his neck - a noose and his LoM.

If we change all the inner workings of the game in such a way that old time players like you guys can keep doing exactly what you've been doing for years, then I might as well not bother changing things at all.
Or, turning it around, if we don't find the game fun any more then we always have the option of re-installing an older version which is fun. Yet again it comes down to trying to make people play the game the way we want, or letting people play the game the way they want.

Not sure about only giving relation points when selling prize ships.
That doesn't match with sinking them, so would require another special case to be created.
And when selling, do you get points with ALL nations you have an appropriate LoM with or only the one you sold the ship to?
If only one, then you could actually get more points for just sinking....
Why give relation points when selling ships? I'd prefer to give the points at the time of capture or sinking, and indeed to all nations with whom you have a LoM and which are hostile to the ship's nation. (Maybe give additional points to the nation where you sell the ship - that's the nation which is getting a share of the prize money.)

Assuming that we can get it to work, the "who fired first" mechanic would easily become a "get out of jail free" card.
Just wait for another ship to fire first and you can do whatever you want after that without the limitations of having a LoM.
The obvious counter to that is that you still lose relation points with the ship's nation (and its allies), you don't gain relation points because you have no LoM, and for good measure apply a similar price modifier to selling the goods and ship as if it were a prize or even pirated ship (though as this is a private sale rather than a LoM prize, commerce skill and perks apply). So you get some profit for capturing and selling an enemy ship but not as much as if you have a LoM. You're not splitting the proceeds with the government, but as you didn't get the ship by an approved method, the shipyard and store take a big chunk of the profit in exchange for handling the ship and cargo.

When it comes to "acts of piracy", it would be easy enough to have any act under a pirate flag be considered proper evil as well.
There is sense to that, but I'm afraid that will REALLY mess players up.
Or, depending on why they put up the pirate flag, it could help them. The effect of making it a major act of piracy would be to speed up their joining of Pirates, which may be what they want. Especially if that's the only way they're going to get full price for pirated ships and cargo.

Isn't that why pirates get a higher percentage of prize sale value? Though it's at least as annoying if the rule is imposed on you that, in order to get maximum value, you need to join some sort of mythical pirate nation rather than operate as a free, independent pirate.
Higher percentage of sale value on the bare hull, which is but a small fraction of the total value and therefore that doesn't seem to make a significant difference either way.

Why is it annoying to be able to officially join the pirates? That way the players get the choice of whether they want to be a true pirate or not.
And you can gain ranks. I know that happen to be an oft-requested feature.

That's basically what you're doing if you have multiple LoM's - using them as flags of convenience rather than patriotically serving your nation. The risk there is that, since your relations don't follow those of any specific nation, you need to watch for changes of relations so you don't attack something inappropriate.
I was thinking of a fine line between "pirate" and "privateer". You're describing a fine line between "privateer for nation A" and "privateer for nation B".
Of course that IS also a "fine line" and may even be considered somewhat piratical behaviour. But I'd still consider them two different things.

In theory that shouldn't happen; the whole point of getting a LoM was to be treated as a naval officer in the service of a nation rather than an outright pirate. Spain, at least in the earlier two periods, didn't respect LoM's and sometimes a captured privateer would end his life with two things round his neck - a noose and his LoM.
I was thinking of "Sir Francis Drake. The Spanish all despise him. But to the British here's a hero and they idolise him". :rofl
Of course your nation of Spain not respecting LoMs probably had a role to play in that....

Or, turning it around, if we don't find the game fun any more then we always have the option of re-installing an older version which is fun. Yet again it comes down to trying to make people play the game the way we want, or letting people play the game the way they want.
Forcing people to revert to old version = the very opposite of progress
Not developing new stuff to avoid this from happening = no progress either
Different ways of playing not having their distinct advantages/disadvantages = potential gameplay not realised
Players being free to do whatever they want to do without true consequences one way or another = does not even make sense

If that is what you guys seem to want, then fine; I might as well throw my hat in the ring and stop trying to move forward altogether.
But I'll never find out if it even CAN work well that way. And YOU'll never know if it could actually add to the gameplay, rather than to detract from it.

Why give relation points when selling ships? I'd prefer to give the points at the time of capture or sinking, and indeed to all nations with whom you have a LoM and which are hostile to the ship's nation. (Maybe give additional points to the nation where you sell the ship - that's the nation which is getting a share of the prize money.)
It is easier to give a reward for selling your captured ships as a prize than to force you to do so and put all sorts of limitations in place to avoid resulting exploits.
I figure you guys might also prefer that because you do get all the freedom; you just get an added choice: money and/or ship vs. extra relation points (and maybe money going into your personal wealth?).

Giving additional points actually has my preference. That is easier to do and I think makes more sense as well.

The obvious counter to that is that you still lose relation points with the ship's nation (and its allies), you don't gain relation points because you have no LoM, and for good measure apply a similar price modifier to selling the goods and ship as if it were a prize or even pirated ship (though as this is a private sale rather than a LoM prize, commerce skill and perks apply). So you get some profit for capturing and selling an enemy ship but not as much as if you have a LoM. You're not splitting the proceeds with the government, but as you didn't get the ship by an approved method, the shipyard and store take a big chunk of the profit in exchange for handling the ship and cargo.
So do away with the concept of "no LoMs = disrespectable/piracy" altogether then?
Which means that your EITC merchants never would have needed those LoMs anyway, since they can capture ships just fine.
Seems to go against what you've been advocating a few months back. o_O

Or, depending on why they put up the pirate flag, it could help them. The effect of making it a major act of piracy would be to speed up their joining of Pirates, which may be what they want. Especially if that's the only way they're going to get full price for pirated ships and cargo.
Joining the pirates is really very easy anyway since we decided that you need to be friendly with them OR not be a Privateer.

Linking cargo to specific ships is very hard because the game just doesn't work that way.
There are two ways of doing that:
1. Actively prevent players from touching their pirated cargo outside pirate towns/smuggling runs
2. Do something similar to the proposal for privateers: Give additional points based on the sale value of ships (or at least for the pirates, don't give any PLUS points with them at all from just sinking/capturing other ships)

If we do what I think is being proposed here, then "gradually sliding into piracy from your actions" will again not exist as a gameplay feature.
Shame; I was quite intrigued by that concept...

Why is it annoying to be able to officially join the pirates? That way the players get the choice of whether they want to be a true pirate or not.
And you can gain ranks. I know that happen to be an oft-requested feature.
I didn't say it would be annoying to be able to join the Pirates. I said it might be annoying if, in order to get a decent return, you must join them. As for a true pirate, what is a true pirate? Someone who owes allegiance to a nation which happens to call itself "Pirate", or an independent captain with no allegiance to anyone except himself and his own crew?

I was thinking of a fine line between "pirate" and "privateer". You're describing a fine line between "privateer for nation A" and "privateer for nation B".
Of course that IS also a "fine line" and may even be considered somewhat piratical behaviour. But I'd still consider them two different things.
Not quite. What I'm describing is a fine line between "privateer", loyal to his nation; and "pirate", using many flags to be able to attack various nations by picking the right flag of convenience without technically being a pirate because he never uses a pirate flag.

I was thinking of "Sir Francis Drake. The Spanish all despise him. But to the British here's a hero and they idolise him". :rofl
Of course your nation of Spain not respecting LoMs probably had a role to play in that....
Drake was indeed one of the privateers/pirates I had in mind. But remember that this would be "Early Explorers", where the law is that any warship in the Caribbean that isn't flying a Spanish flag is a pirate. Spain owns the western half of the world and makes all the rules to suit itself. (I wonder if you could make England, France and Holland allied to Pirates since that's how Spain would see their ships, plus the normal idea of a nationless criminal pirate probably didn't exist in the Caribbean at that time. Any attack on a Spanish or Portuguese ship is an act of piracy. The only law west of the Atlantic is Spain's law.)

So do away with the concept of "no LoMs = disrespectable/piracy" altogether then?
Which means that your EITC merchants never would have needed those LoMs anyway, since they can capture ships just fine.
Seems to go against what you've been advocating a few months back. o_O
Partly because I read someone's post about how they don't want to have to get a LoM in order to defend themselves. ;) Looking in more detail at the article about Letter of Marque, the EIC gave the LoM's to its ships in the later periods. So perhaps impose that level of restriction only in "Napoleonic" and perhaps "Revolutions" periods.

If we do what I think is being proposed here, then "gradually sliding into piracy from your actions" will again not exist as a gameplay feature.
Shame; I was quite intrigued by that concept...
Is there a way to have that happen if your served nation is Personal, e.g. if you have multiple LoM's? The sort of captain who never does anything illegal while anyone is looking but who is, at heart, really a pirate... ;) Also perhaps have it happen if you're flying a Personal flag when you capture or sink a ship because you're not flying a flag of a nation hostile to that ship.

I didn't say it would be annoying to be able to join the Pirates. I said it might be annoying if, in order to get a decent return, you must join them. As for a true pirate, what is a true pirate? Someone who owes allegiance to a nation which happens to call itself "Pirate", or an independent captain with no allegiance to anyone except himself and his own crew?
If there is no true benefit to joining the pirates, then why would you ever want to do it? Other than "just for the sake of it"?
And since you guys are proposing that you can sink and take ships just fine also without a LoM, that goes back to being hardly necessary as well.
I fear we may end up right back where we started: You can do whatever you want because nothing actually makes a difference on way or another.

I wonder if you could make England, France and Holland allied to Pirates since that's how Spain would see their ships, plus the normal idea of a nationless criminal pirate probably didn't exist in the Caribbean at that time. Any attack on a Spanish or Portuguese ship is an act of piracy. The only law west of the Atlantic is Spain's law.
You might be able to set that in Periods.c; if it doesn't work, I should be able to tweak the code until it does.
Not sure if it will have sensible results though.

Is there a way to have that happen if your served nation is Personal, e.g. if you have multiple LoM's? The sort of captain who never does anything illegal while anyone is looking but who is, at heart, really a pirate... ;) Also perhaps have it happen if you're flying a Personal flag when you capture or sink a ship because you're not flying a flag of a nation hostile to that ship.
So..... Served Nation = Personal WOULD start giving you points with the pirates for your actions. That despite you actually having LoMs.
And any action under a personal flag would do too. So if England and France are at war, you're OK to capture or sink a French ship IF you're flying an English flag.
But if you're flying a personal flag, it would NOT be OK and you'd starting gaining points with the pirates.

Then why would you ever want to do that? The only reason would be because you WANT to be able to join the pirates.
Which is not extra profitable and just gets you hated, so hardly anyone is going to have any desire to bring that onto themselves.

If I understand correctly, you guys want a situation where you can do what you want, get nice profits, all without LoM, without joining the pirates and without getting a Merchant License.
In other words: A game where no matter what you do, you'll be met with ideal or near-ideal results. Eg. what we've already had for the past many years.
Of course I do understand that is nice and easy and amazingly convenient.

It also completely does away with any sort of advantages/disadvantages of having different play styles.
Any differences would be marginal at best, non-existent at worst. With most options available objectively being bad things to do.
Joining the pirates? Pointless! And you might as well not ever touch a personal flag. And never get multiple LoMs either.
Which means there aren't really any choices to weigh against each other as there are no consequences to your actions.

Why do we want to distinguish between the different play styles again? It seems to me that we really don't!

Since we don't seem to be getting anywhere, I'll abandon any fancy ideas on this and only do the following:
- "Acquired" affects only bare hull price, nothing else; just like it used to be
- Effect of nation relations remains as is
- Allow joining the Pirates only if you're not hostile with them
- I'm tempted to have the player turn pirate at -45 instead of waiting all the way to 0
- Also tempted to not allow you to compensate for unrespectable acts by attacking Pirates again, but I'll resist the urge and won't do that
- Relations system to remain as is; if you guys insist on something else, go ahead and do it
- Skills don't affect bare hull price for navy officers and Privateers
- Cargo is fair game and you can do with it whatever you want
- Merchant License gives 100% sale price outside the shipyard (doesn't affect Buy)

I'm getting the distinct impression that either we don't know what we want OR what we want is keeping everything the same so that the different play styles once again become a non-existent feature.

So I'm not going to spend my time and effort trying to figure out anything complicated.
You want it "better"? Then be me guest!!!

I've just made the following changes for the next update:
- Merchant passport allows 100% sale price OUTSIDE shipyard
- Being in service of a nation does NOT affect sale prices in any way
- Governor no longer mentions 50% prize money on the cargo
- Ransack Interface will show "Assign prize crew" instead of "Crew" if the ship is to be a legal prize (everything else I tried there has been disabled again)
- SY_RPG_STYLE restored again for a fixed 30% hull sale price, regardless of how the ship was acquired
- "Bought" and "owned" ships treated equally and both sell for 90% of their sale price (affects bare hull only)
- Text "Sell Bought Ship" eliminated in shipyard interface
- "Taken" ships sell for 50% of their sale price and this is NOT affected by player skills (affects bare hull only)
- "Pirated" ships sell for 10% or 90% of their sale price, depending on whether you joined the pirates or not (affects bare hull only)
- "Acquired" does NOT affect sale of upgrades; it is a fixed 10% there, which is in line with normal removing of upgrades
- "Acquired" does NOT affect sale of cannons; that is affected like normal by character skills instead

Sounds good?

Above changes now included in here: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!

This means that there are no actual new "controversial" changes compared to earlier recent releases.
To preserve my own sanity, I will not make any further changes to this unless promoted by feedback from ingame testing.

There IS a difference in sale price between owned, captured and pirated ships, with legal prizes giving you more money than random pirated ships.
Since this only affects the bare hull, this may effectively not make all that much difference to the game, but so be it.
At least the changed button texts will make it a bit more obvious that is going on.

Here's to hoping this may be considered a reasonable compromise for the time being. :doff

So any comments on this by now?
I believe for now this is good right?

It is simplistic, but at least it isn't "wrong".
I'd hope may players notice between sale prices when being a privateer/pirate, just their own character and/or having a Merchant License.
I don't think anybody ever noticed a difference there before I made all these changes, so hopefully now they would. :shrug

It is simplistic, but at least it isn't "wrong".
I'd hope may players notice between sale prices when being a privateer/pirate, just their own character and/or having a Merchant License.
I don't think anybody ever noticed a difference there before I made all these changes, so hopefully now they would. :shrug
For now I think it's okay, maybe in a later stage we can make the difference more clear :).

the ship feature is nice and how pirated ships cost less.. but still.. your owned ship when you sell.. it sells for a loooot of money :D

the ship feature is nice and how pirated ships cost less.. but still.. your owned ship when you sell.. it sells for a loooot of money :D
Well yes, but as you now don't have a ship, you'll need to buy another one if you intend to leave the island. On the other hand, selling someone else's ship brings in a lot of money too, especially if you captured it legally by having a LoM and attacking the enemies of the nation which issued it, or if you captured it illegally and have joined the Pirate nation. :rpirate

Back