• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

DirectX 9 End-User Runtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Over the years, there have been several issues with game performance in POTC, AOP and CoAS that is related directly to the fact that DirectX 9 is not installed. This is especially true with Windows 7 and 8/8.1 installs, and will probably effect Windows 10 as well. This is due to the fact that Microsoft, in their infinite “wisdom” hasn't chose to include fully functional backwards DirectX compatibility beyond 9. Though they claim otherwise, there are certain libraries and calls from earlier DirectX versions that are simply no longer included, or “interpreted” differently. This leads to some older games not functioning properly, slow downs, stuttering, graphical glitches and other various issues. The usual culprit is d3dx9_43.dll.

Windows XP or Windows 7 - The simplest way to solve this issue is to download and install the DirectX 9 End-User Runtime, which you can get it from Microsoft HERE! It will install just fine alongside DirectX 10 or DirectX 11, which is included with Windows 7.

Windows8/8.1 - This one can be a bit more tricky, you can try using Microsoft's Web Installer, which seems to work fine for some people.

The second option is to try going into the Control Panel/Programs/Progams and Features, click on "Turn Windows features on or off”, and install "Direct Play" under "Legacy Devices". You might need to have your install media in the drive when installing DirectPlay. After installation, reboot just in case, and you should be good to go..

The third option is a bit more tricky and requires the use of 7zip, or a similar program. Microsoft also claims that it can work with zip files easily, this has certainly not been my experience, and I highly recommend you disable Windows handling of compressed files, install 7zip and let it handle them for you.

After you have downloaded the file, DO NOT run it, instead, open the file with 7zip. Extract Direct X 9 to a folder you choose. Extract either Jun2010_d3dx9_43_x86.cab or Jun2010_d3dx9_43_x64.cab (depending on whether you are 32bit(x86) or 64bit(x64)). Do not extract it to any Windows Folder at all, try extracting to your game folder. If that doesn’t work, you will have to try it from Safe Mode.

Manually install entire DirectX Library - Reboot into Safe Mode, hit F8 while your computer is booting and choose Safe Mode from the menu. Navigate back to the folder you extracted the DirectX 9 files, extract all the appropriate .CAB (32bit(x86) or 64bit(x64))files to the same directory. Categorize the files by (Right-click, Arrange Icons by, Type.) Go down to where the .INF files are and right click, install each of them in order individually up to joystick.inf. Select all of the other .inf files and install all of them at once. Overwrite anything it asks and don't hit restart until you are finished installing.

**EDIT**

The above information is not entirely correct, the STORM engine is looking for d3d8.dll, sorry for the confusion on my part. I will endeavour to be more accurate in the future. I have ustuck and locked this thread. I may post more when I have more accurate information.

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you know if there is a way to include the correct DLL file with the modpack installer and have the game run from that automatically?

I think the way that Microsoft’s "User Agreement" is written, the only way we could legally include it is to include the entire 100 meg library and install it at the end of the Build Mod install. I think that it would be better to include a link and brief explanation in the readme or during the install.

And if we don't care about the legalities, is there some way to make it work?
Just by dumping a single necessary DLL file in the main game folder, for example?

I honestly do not know for sure mate, I have always just installed the whole thing. :shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back