• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Disable "Sidestep Disabled" message

JackOfOwls

Powder Monkey
I don't want sidestep enabled because I find myself frequently falling through floors but I hate the eyesore of seeing the message in the upper left corner of my screen constantly when I'd prefer to just concentrate on other more relevant info. How do I disable the message and still have Sidestep disabled? I'm using Build 14 Beta 3.4. Thx for any help.

PROGRAM\seadogs.c remove the two instances of these lines:
Code:
        else
           LogIt("Sidestep disabled. --> Enable in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h with SIDESTEP_ENABLED at the bottom of the file <--");

Of course you could also just not press the sidestep buttons. That'd be a rather simple solution indeed.... :wp

Heh, this is my first time playing the game and I like what I see. The reason why I needed to find a way to disable the Sidestep Message was because I'm using the analog stick on an Xbox 360 controller for movement and I kept bumping the Sidestep on it causing the msg to pop up. Of course what I should have realized is that I could have simply remapped the sidestep keys to something obscure on my keyboard, which I ended up doing and now it's no longer a problem. Thanks for your help.

The reason why I needed to find a way to disable the Sidestep Message was because I'm using the analog stick on an Xbox 360 controller for movement and I kept bumping the Sidestep on it causing the msg to pop up.
Hey, that's interesting! Would you mind sharing how that works?
Several people in the past have wanted to hook up XBOX controllers to the game, but never figured it out.

Of course what I should have realized is that I could have simply remapped the sidestep keys to something obscure on my keyboard, which I ended up doing and now it's no longer a problem. Thanks for your help.
Either way will work. An edit to seadogs.c will probably get overwritten on the next modpack update though, so that might return to being annoying again. :facepalm

It is not just JackOfOwls who gets that message. I get it often too but ignore it.

You get that message if you press the sidestep buttons with the sidestep functionality disabled, which is the default setting.

Is there anything that can be done about this sidestep business that doesn't annoy people?
Do I need to put a check on that message so it only displays once or something?
I just wished I could do something so I wouldn't need to keep having to answer for the sidestep imperfections issue. :modding

Hey, it's not a perfect world. Players who are used to modern games notice these things more and will always comment on it. It's really not something to get upset about.

Hey, it's not a perfect world. Players who are used to modern games notice these things more and will always comment on it. It's really not something to get upset about.
Thats absolute true, nothing to worry about.

It is just annoying covering the same subjects over and over again. Because most people will not ever look at the FAQ to tell them.

Of course it doesn't apply here, but I would so like to not have to hear about it again.

Disable the message. ;) Anyone who knows the game is capable of sidestep and wants to enable it can edit "InternalSettings.h", read the warning about no collision detection and accept the consequences. Anyone who doesn't want sidestep enabled doesn't need to do anything, and anyone who doesn't know the game is capable of it need never find out. :wp

Maybe put something in "BuildInfo.txt" to the effect that there is a sidestep function, it doesn't work properly and probably never will, you can edit "InternalSettings.h" to activate it and if weird things happen as a result, you have already been warned so don't go complaining. :D

You know what will happen if you limit the message to only display once? Someone will complain that he tried to sidestep, it doesn't work, all that happened was that he got a brief message on screen which he didn't have time to read and can't get back. xD

Indeed you're right. It is time for the log message to go.
It has been there long enough so anyone who has been keeping up with us and wants to use sidestep should know by now that the toggle exists.
And if not, then SCREW THEM! :whipa

Back