1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Notice Disappearing Forum Images

Discussion in 'Website bugs & problems' started by Armada, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    I just noticed that some of the forum icons and images - such as the main logo and some of the notice banner images - briefly disappeared. They seem to be back now, but I'm not sure how long they'll last.

I have a feeling these are various images that are stored in my OneDrive folders, and links to images on there no longer appear to be permanent, though I can't find any official source to confirm when and why this changed. :modding

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and am now transferring any relevant images to the FTP instead. I'll replace the links when I get to them.

Thagarr and Pieter Boelen like this.
  2. Thagarr

Thagarr Pining for the Fjords! Staff Member Administrator Creative Support Storm Modder News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

CNC Machine Operator
    Ah, that explains it, I thought it was my crappy my ISP. :wp

Microsoft no longer provides change logs for Windows updates, I assume it is probably the same for OneDrive. Why would we possibly need to know what changes they implement for their software?? :rolleyes:

3. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    I've now put all the related images, icons and emoticons on the FTP under a new "PA_Forum" directory.
    The image and icon links have been updated (such as the PA! logo, header background and forum icons), but I haven't done the emoticons yet. I'll see if I can get round to that today.

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  4. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Did you put it on the Bowengames FTP? Would it not make more sense to stick them on the main PiratesAhoy! one?
    It is smaller, but is linked to the main site so even if the Bowengames one fails, it should still work.
    And if the PiratesAhoy! one fails, the forum also wouldn't work so the images would be the least of our worries... :wp

5. Armada

Game Developer
    Yes, I used the Bowengames FTP. I haven't used the old one for a long time.
    For now, the images are at least better off being stored anywhere other than OneDrive.

6. Armada

Game Developer
    I finally managed to find some information about these OneDrive links expiring. Apparently, this has been going on since May this year, and it took a post on the User Voice site for Microsoft to decide to do something about it.

Still no explanation as to why the image URLs keep changing, but at least there are plans to revert them back to static at some point.

7. Thagarr

Thagarr Pining for the Fjords! Staff Member Administrator Creative Support Storm Modder News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

CNC Machine Operator
    I think this response in that thread pretty much says it all :

Microsoft should have known this was coming a long while ago when they first came up with the idea of everyone posting files to their "cloud." Surely selling all the information they are collecting from Windows 10 users to advertisers should more than make up for those server costs. I am curious to see what solution they come up with!

Armada likes this.
  8. Armada

Game Developer
    I just checked that User Voice page again (see above post), and it seems Microsoft finally restored static URLs for OneDrive images back in February. Took them long enough. :rolleyes:

Let's see if this works with one of my Bellona images that previously wouldn't show up:
    [​IMG]
    If you can see it, and it doesn't disappear after 24 hours or so, then hopefully this issue is gone for good.

9. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    I see it. :doff

10. Armada

Game Developer
    It looks like OneDrive is currently down :nogood , so the remaining emoticons that were on my public folder stopped showing up here :modding .

I've now changed the links to use the FTP instead :onya , so all the emoticons should work now :D .