• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Disappearing Officer

Triglav

The Trig, a git.
Provisional
Storm Modder
Finally found time to give the new version a bit of a spin. Very nice improvements all around. Congrats to all involved. Particularly love the new map. A bit sad that not a single one of my historic flags made it in, while some anachronistic ones are still there, but whatever...

What I am wondering about is the odd disappearance of some of my officers. Maybe it's meant to be like that, but I missed it, dunno... I tend to like to compose my crew from captured officers. But even though they're not in my landing quartet, the odd navigator or gunner goes missing after some battle. Even if the enemy just surrenders and the captain comes over, when I check the roster next, an officer is missing. So he coulnd't die in battle, couldn't desert in town, just disappears. Any idea? The new one bumps him overboard when noone is looking?

Finally found time to give the new version a bit of a spin. Very nice improvements all around. Congrats to all involved. Particularly love the new map. A bit sad that not a single one of my historic flags made it in, while some anachronistic ones are still there, but whatever...
That's mainly because we didn't touch the flags at all. But now that we've got the new system in place, I reckon it should be possible to add more flags for real.
Not entirely sure yet how, but it is possible now. :yes

What I am wondering about is the odd disappearance of some of my officers. Maybe it's meant to be like that, but I missed it, dunno... I tend to like to compose my crew from captured officers. But even though they're not in my landing quartet, the odd navigator or gunner goes missing after some battle. Even if the enemy just surrenders and the captain comes over, when I check the roster next, an officer is missing. So he coulnd't die in battle, couldn't desert in town, just disappears. Any idea? The new one bumps him overboard when noone is looking?
Officers shouldn't be disappearing. Ever. o_O
Only exception I can think of is if they are in command a companion ship and there is a mutiny on there. But you'll know when that happens.

Well. But they do. Before battle or ship attack he's there. I don't have him in my boarding party. We win or enemy just surrenders and joins me. I look again after battle, he's gone. With any stuff I may have given him too. No mutiny, no notice, nothing. Slick alien abduction maybe?

Really strange. Is he completely disappearing from your Passengers Interface?

Wow. I never heard of that one before. No ideer how to replicate it. How many officers do you have? I have never had more than 14 or so.

6 or 7 officers.
Yea all gone from passengers. As if he never existed.

See if you can get this save going. A custom Standard campaign, save folder Standard.
On several retries I've had the navigator (Matthias Hrowath) disappear immediately after defeating the Dutch vessel.
Whether I killed them all, but even more likely if their captain (Jan something) joined my crew.
Maybe you can try with this save? https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmv8f6wfn9i17vf/-=Player=- Open Sea June 17th, 1750

This did not end well. The Dutch ship never surrendered and I could not board it. It also never fired a shot and instead just sailed around in circles.

I used up almost all of the shot, grapes, and knippels and was reduced to ramming it. All that accomplished was me sinking myself. Since it never surrendered I could not lose an officer.

There is a very big error log.
trig-1.jpg trig-2.jpg

Attachments

• compile.log
    6.9 KB · Views: 162
  • error.log
    45.1 KB · Views: 166
  • system.log
    2.7 KB · Views: 167
I tried it again with the same result. I would go back to a save from before you take on this quest, or at least load up with all the shot and powder the ship will carry.

Err...I think you have to raise the pirate flag or a French one first, otherwise they won't engage.

Although I will admit I did find it a tad unusual that ships will not engage you no matter how much you bombard them unless you fly the correct flag they don't like...

Last edited:
Although I will admit I did find it a tad unusual that ships will not engage you no matter how much you bombard them unless you fly the correct flag they don't like...
Wha? Since when is that? I'm pretty sure last time I deliberately went shooting at friendly ships,
not only did they turn hostile, but I lost a LOT of reputation for doing so AND got at war with their nation altogether. o_O

Ayup! 3rd time's the charm. :oops:

I raised the French flag and we went at it. Eventually the Dutch ship surrendered and sure enough, one of the officers was replaced. :walkplank

So I took a good look at the replaced officer, Matheas Hrowath. He was a Captain of another ship and he surrendered to you, didn't he? Then you never made him active and he just sat there with his full load of weapons. So when this other officer, Jan Hertje, comes along the game put him in the inactive slot.

beta3 2013-11-05 18-55-55-69.jpg beta3 2013-11-05 18-56-53-72.jpg

I would suggest you start from an earlier save and put Matheas Hrowath on your passenger list and clean him up a bit. Then you should be ok when you get your next officer.

There you go :D
But, no, actually he was my Navigator (although yes, previously a captured captain), and I gave him the selection of weapons, so he deffo wasn't inactive.

Wha? Since when is that? I'm pretty sure last time I deliberately went shooting at friendly ships,
not only did they turn hostile, but I lost a LOT of reputation for doing so AND got at war with their nation altogether. o_O

Perhaps it has to do with the #define EXTRA_HIT_CHECK " setting? "0: No, accidental hits won't cause hostilities"

Or perhaps real cannons is turned off, I don't know it that would prevent hostility without raising enemy flag ... might be though

That could definitely be the case, Petros. Would explain a lot. :yes

Officer problem is really bizarre. I'm pretty sure the game is coded to erase officers only if they are NOT part of your "party".
Stupid bugs!!! I'm sick of them. :sick

How does a officer get inactive :S ?

I don't know. You've got "officers that accompany you ashore" and "other officers who are in your party".
As far as I'm aware, there is no third "group".

That officer had a load of random weapons and no armor like the others I looked at. His load looked like what a surrendered Captain carries, not an officer you would equip.

I always immediately put a surrendered officer on my pasenger list so I can clean him out and equip him properly and have never had the problem Triglav has.

Back