• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Discussion about captain and crew bonusses

About the boarding: Just don't tie crewstats to ship or captain at all. Only navy crewmen should have a slight buff and merchant crewmen a slight debuff compared to pirates. That would make sense. Everything else should just be calculated by crewsize and morale.
Agreed: Fix in Progress - Level of boarding enemies | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!

About that Hand of God thing: Well, this frigate was in pretty good condition, about 70% Hull. Though she had a mast broken I think. Most of the other ships I board and then get sunk usually have 50% Hull or less left. But none of them in a condition where you'd say "oh, they will never reach the next port"
I think that this is only with ships that got boarded after they surrendered. I guess it happens in 1 of 4 or 5 cases.
Strange. If it happens again, make a separate Bug Tracker report.

Pillat said:
About the boarding: Just don't tie crewstats to ship or captain at all. Only navy crewmen should have a slight buff and merchant crewmen a slight debuff compared to pirates. That would make sense. Everything else should just be calculated by crewsize and morale.

Yes now it is going in the right direction :yes

@Pieter Boelen @Levis If we are still tracking down exactly when the problem arose, we can probably safely conclude it was well before the July 28th version and not due to any recent changes. @Pillat just mentioned he was playing with 4.0, not 4.1.

@Pieter Boelen @Levis If we are still tracking down exactly when the problem arose, we can probably safely conclude it was well before the July 28th version and not due to any recent changes. @Pillat just mentioned he was playing with 4.0, not 4.1.
True, that.

So then to fix it, the focus can just be on making the changes proposed in the other thread.
And no need to investigate why things are suddenly different then. :woot

Build Beta 4.1 - New Game

I just had to fight a merchant captain with over 200HP while I was level 3 with 70HP!! Something definitly needs to change here!

Agree! Agree! and Agree again!

Right now the game is all messed up, and the fun and pleasure playing it,begins to disappear.

Note that captains and boarding crew are handled very differently in the code.

In the new ZIP, @Tingyun made a quick fix to avoid the duels in many cases for the early game.

That is no fix, that is a workaround.. I think it is logical that you get duelled quite often in the early game. Noone knows you and noone respects you. I also think your choice of making enemy levels independent from the player level is good, thats a really modern thinking for a RPG. BUT. It can't be that you get enemies that are impossible. If I duel a naval captain, I can accept if he has almost doubled HP compared to me. It just gets really difficult if he has a gun, because in the early game you are left with 1HP after a shot, but - If I have around 70HP and he 130HP, it is doable. However, the first naval captain I encountered hat 390HP while I had 76HP. I tried it 5 times (I saved before boarding).. it is not possible. So I cheat leveled me to 15 and now I at least have a chance. You still have to concentrate really hard when fighting captains, but its doable.
So you really have either

a) go back to the level-relation to player system
or b) implement a max level difference and also implement/increase the chance of getting a weaker enemy than you. Because it is really silly that you are the worst fencer on the sea...

THose jungleraiders behave good. They somehow level wagely with the player, and they level with time. Which fits pretty good for me. But captains are impossible foes until level 15, which breaks the game.

A hotfix could be to let the player start at min. level 10 - you have enough HP there to survive 1-2 pierces and deal enough damage to at least scratch an enemy supercaptain.

Preaching to the choir, mate. Something definitely should be done; I think we're all agreed on that.
It just requires somebody to find the time to do it properly.

I can define player starting levels in the storyline.c right? Until something better is done, this is the best solution we have atm. Since we cant just increase starting or levelbonus HP because then I will encounter Captains not with 400HP but with 4000HP I guess

I can define player starting levels in the storyline.c right?
Most global way of doing it is with this section from PROGRAM\Characters\characters_init.c:
Code:
   if(sti(GetStorylineVar(FindCurrentStoryline(), "START_MIN_LEVEL")) > 0 || CharPlayerType == PLAYER_TYPE_CASTAWAY)
     ch.rank    = 1; // PB: Players can use the cheatmode for this
   else
     ch.rank    = 5; // PB: Players can use the cheatmode for this
Replace that 5 with a 10 and you should be good to go.

Had to replace the 1 with 10 and the 5 to 15.

It behaves better than I thought! You have enough HP from the beginning to not be afraid and instantly switch on godmode in a fight, but since your melee skill is still low, you still have to watch out. The next advantage is that you can "shape" your char from the beginning a bit. Meaning you can choose perks that seems to be important from you right from the beginning. Most of them are locked, of course. Right now, probably I could choose too many perks from the beginning, I will try to reduce the ability points per level and see if that is ok in the later game.

The only thing that is not so cool is the fact that you see in your char-screen the level 10.. looks a bit odd.

Well, as a final curmudgeony post, I'm going to have to say some of the complaints here are a way too melodramatic.

The current system for boarding levels was in place since at least 4.0, so it is NOT unplayable. People have been playing and enjoying it, for what, a year probably?

And many people like duals with captains having more HP than them. Jeeze, a sword with a good block stat and I don't have much trouble killing a captain with 3x my HP. And I play on swashbuckler.

Once you learn how to pick a sword with good stats for your purposes, those captain fights aren't hard. Try high block swords. Also, make sure you have the sword fighting perks to up your blocking ability.

That doesn't mean fixes shouldn't come for this, but this is a recreational mod. Daily bolded posts demanding change and impassioned declarations that the game is ruined forever and no fun don't help anyone's motivation, @Levis will get to it when he does, he is working hard, and we aren't paying him so let's go with gratitude as the proper response rather than impatience,

Especially since it has been this way since 4.0! A nice piece of info that could have been used when we went back and forth with repeated posts searching in files to try to figure out if the problem was recent...here's a way to speed up fixes in the future, report what version you are using with bugs. ;)

Anyway, let me express my gratitude to @Pieter Boelen and @Levis for all their bug fixing efforts, and the hope that they take their time and don't feel any pressure to ruin their weekends by trying to rush out a fix on soemthing that has been broken since 4.0 and doesn't in any way prevent the game from fully being enjoyable.

Don't worry; as much as I want to support PotC, I've got more than enough to keep me occupied in real life.
So my actual activity here is by necessity quite low. That's just the way it is for now. :shrug

Eventually I'll get round to making a new EXE with hopefully some of this stuff addressed.
But I can give no guarantees on when. I've been on the lookout for the quiet weekend I need for a while now.
Will keep looking until it happens! :cheers

Tinguyn are you playing the game? And have you been playing the game for a long
periode? It doesn't sound like this for me o_O

I was just wondering, it seems like you not quit understand the unique universe,
this game have. Anyway lets stay friendly and good luck with your job:)

Last edited:
I was just wondering, it seems like you not quit understand the unique universe, this game have.

Ok, sure. :)

Goodbye everyone, I wish everyone the best! Thank you for all the good conversation and modding practice. :)

Last edited:
@Cassadar Haha, no, i'm just swamped at work. ;) Been trying to pull away for days now, but finally have to now that work is completely piled up. Goodbye but for work reasons, nothing but goodwill towards everyone here. :)

Back