• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Distinguish between different playstyles

So if someone is caught smuggling I could tell him to report to the gouvernor of him nation or where he has the LOM.
The SetRank might need to be rewritten to reduce your "nation points".
Then you can immediately call SetRank with the lower rank value OR add a deliberate demotion option to the shared governor dialog.

Players might not go and report to the governor though, but then they would need to anyway if they ever want another promotion.
Perhaps a "LeaveService" call if you didn't report within a month?

it's possible to have more then 1 lom right?
Yes, you could have one from each nation at the same time.

Is it possible to lose the professional navy attribute? Which function does this what else will it cause?
Which function is used to gain or reduce promotion points? They are the relation poins?

Professional navy is added in characters_init.c and you then join the navy in NK.C . There was a check in Periods.c for it at some point too, but I can't remember if it is still there.
Other than that, it is used in a great many files to make navy gameplay different from normal.
If you want to get rid of it, we would need something to replace it with.

Have a look at SetRank in CharacterUtilite.c for promotions. That one might need an edit for decreasing points on a demotion because I don't think it does that yet.

Is it possible to lose the professional navy attribute? Which function does this what else will it cause?
Which function is used to gain or reduce promotion points? They are the relation poins?
By "lose", do you mean get rid of that aspect of gameplay entirely, or that a commissioned officer should have the option to retire?

A lot of effort has been put into allowing people to play as commissioned officers. It would be a big shame if that were to be lost entirely.

But it should be possible to remove professional navy status from a character, either voluntarily because he's resigned, or involuntarily because of misconduct. (I believe the "Hornblower" storyline has provision for this already, though I've never tried to trigger it so I don't know exactly what happens. Have a look at "PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\quests\quests_reaction.c", specifically case "Broken_Quest".)

By "lose", do you mean get rid of that aspect of gameplay entirely, or that a commissioned officer should have the option to retire?

A lot of effort has been put into allowing people to play as commissioned officers. It would be a big shame if that were to be lost entirely.
I am very glad we finally HAVE that gameplay. Whatever we decided to do, I will NOT agree to it being removed.
I also sincerely doubt that is what @Levis meant. ;)

But it should be possible to remove professional navy status from a character, either voluntarily because he's resigned, or involuntarily because of misconduct. (I believe the "Hornblower" storyline has provision for this already, though I've never tried to trigger it so I don't know exactly what happens. Have a look at "PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\quests\quests_reaction.c", specifically case "Broken_Quest".)
I think I already added a DeleteAttribute for "professionalnavy" in the LeaveService function.
So it IS possible to remove the attribute. It just isn't possible to ADD the attribute at the moment during play.
That is something we can work on later, I suppose.

I mean getting kicked out indeed :p.
working on the smuggling stuff, and if you are caught smuggling to the nation you serve I was thinking of having the guards report you to the authorities (if you let them leave), and if this happens you got X time to go to your governor. He will treaten to kick you out of the service or take your LoM unless you
will infiltrate the smugglers guild to bring them down

I'd be interested in having a way to do what is mentioned in the spoiler without being caught smuggling first!

I'd be interested in having a way to do what is mentioned in the spoiler without being caught smuggling first!
If I understand @Levis correctly, the idea is that a governor may give a player with a LoM (or a professionalnavy one) the task to do that.
Maybe as variaty instead of having only the ever-present ship hunting quests.

Indeed if you aren't caught it will show up after a certain rank.
Still thinking about some kind of advantage you can have then, if needed.
Altough I like your idea about being the coastguard also.
Maybe I'll include a little "raiding quest" for lower rank player so you can interact with smugglers in an other way. but need to think about that more.

Indeed if you aren't caught it will show up after a certain rank.
My thinking would be to give it as sidequest after a few promotions.
You wouldn't need to have done any smuggling before yourself; the governor notices that he has problem and tells you to fix it in your SPOILER way.
So basically you wouldn't have smuggled before, until you're tasked to do it. The governor might even give you the goods himself so you just have to go right to the smugglers.

My thinking would be to give it as sidequest after a few promotions.
You wouldn't need to have done any smuggling before yourself; the governor notices that he has problem and tells you to fix it in your SPOILER way.
So basically you wouldn't have smuggled before, until you're tasked to do it. The governor might even give you the goods himself so you just have to go right to the smugglers.
Yeah thats the idea, but if you DO smuggle to your serving nation and get caught he will give you the option to either help him now (and maybe not get paid for it, or get kicked from the service. At least that was my idea.

Right now, we have the following playstyles, with their status:
- Merchant: Regular play, but can buy an EITC/WIC Letter to bypass the "pirate/privateer" crew getting grumpy because of unshared loot feature
- Privateer: Same as Build 13, with non-navy ranks
- Navy Officer: New as per Build 14 Beta 3.4/3.5 with custom ranks, promotion rewards and some limitations
- Pirate: Possible to join the pirates and gain ranks with them
- Cursed: Curse of Cortes available from game start, but also through looting Isla de Muerta. Extra Curse of Davy Jones also available at game start only.

Is there anything we truly still NEED to add to that functionality or are we good for now?
The only thing that really springs to mind for me is the Curse of Davy Jones that probably needs further testing and development.
But other than that, I'd say we're pretty much OK. I'd welcome everyone's thoughts on this one though. :yes

We might wanna go trough all the sidequests and see if some have to be disabled for a certain playtype if that hasn't been done already.

Sidequest may be period related but not limited by play style.
The play styles are pretty much a starting point but in the end everything depends on what the player decides to do after the opening.
And play styles can technically be switched in midgame too.

Can you think of any specific side quests that may have to be tweaked for this?

it's to long since I played them. But I can imagine having a LoM might affect some of the sidequests where you might need to do things agains your country etc.

That could get real complex real quick.
We might leave it up to the player to decide whether to take such action or not.
Perhaps some appropriate consequences might be added where necessary though.

it's to long since I played them. But I can imagine having a LoM might affect some of the sidequests where you might need to do things agains your country etc.
As far as I can see, very few of the sidequests are going to have that problem, and those that will be affected probably are affected already:
. Some sidequests require you to sink a pirate ship - may be altered to ruin your relation with pirates, probably don't at the moment
. Hard Labours of an Assassin - doesn't ruin relations with nations, does damage your reputation
. Sinking the Vogelstruijs - may ruin your relation with Holland if you get caught in the smuggler's house
. French pirate in the tavern - doesn't do anything to relations now, but there's been talk of making it damage your relations with England. If so, remember that in "Early Explorers", Barbados is Portuguese.

And smuggling, whether routine or as part of "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reilly", may affect your relations with the nation to which you're smuggling if you get caught.

So what still needs to be done for this?

Back