• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Doors inexplicably locked. Fast travel impossible.

CinemaCase

Landlubber
Been playing Build 14, and at some point it always seems every door becomes locked and fast travel becomes impossible. Once it happened from the very start of free play. It also seems to happen often after resting in the tavern.

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Been playing Build 14, and at some point it always seems every door becomes locked and fast travel becomes impossible. Once it happened from the very start of free play. It also seems to happen often after resting in the tavern.
Something like probably does not happen without reason, so the big question is: WHY does it happen?
Are any soldiers getting killed or any merchants getting robbed/killed whenever this happens?
Those are the only two instances I can think of where this is indeed supposed to occur.
When that happens, you need to take care of all hostiles in the location and then the location gets unlocked again.

It just happens out of nowhere. No combat alerts, no combat music, nothing. I have actually run into instances with hostile pirates appearing in the town, but that's never caused any issues. This has happened when I either:

A: Just entered the town. Now I can no longer even leave it.

B: Rested in the tavern.

In that case, I honestly do not have a clue what might be happening.
Is it always outside or does it sometimes happen inside?

Please upload the .log files from your main game folder after it happens.
A (zipped) savegame after it happened may also be useful for further investigation.

It has happened inside taverns, and outside in the town itself, and I had played through the vanilla game in its entirety without this issue as well. I'll shortly get around to uploading my save file and .log file... however, out of curiosity, what is the importance of zipping the save file?

Alright, I got a zip file with the save and .log files ready, although unfortunately I don't think the log files wouldn't have anything about the bug as I couldn't seem to replicate the circumstances now that I must, unfortunately. The one save file I did keep of the bug was after delivering rum to... Jamaica I believe? It was in the first quest involving Cutler Beckett, that much I know for sure. I had tried going to collect my payment but was told he hadn't arrived yet, so I waited in the tavern awhile and got stuck there.

Not played Jack Sparrow storyline but judging by your saved game the locking is to ensure you do what is needed at that location to progress the story. For instance in this case talking to Thomas Tipman releases the locked exit and fast travel.

Well, that solves things, but honestly it's a bit surprising how poorly that little bit was designed. Lock everything, disable fast-travel, and instead of having the NPC approach you, you're supposed to know to talk to an NPC that looks completely unassuming and unimportant? I'll be honest, I like what this mod is trying to accomplish, but it has some odd design choices here and there... as well as some bizarre, immersion breaking references and characters. Hope this can and will be improved in the future. :D

Well, that solves things, but honestly it's a bit surprising how poorly that little bit was designed. Lock everything, disable fast-travel, and instead of having the NPC approach you, you're supposed to know to talk to an NPC that looks completely unassuming and unimportant?
The storylines were all written by volunteers and some were better at smoothing them out than others.
A lot of improvements have been made over the years, but some bits are certainly still clunky.

I'll be honest, I like what this mod is trying to accomplish, but it has some odd design choices here and there... as well as some bizarre, immersion breaking references and characters. Hope this can and will be improved in the future. :D
It will be improved if only somebody steps up to do it. Right now, I don't know anyone who might because they're all working on their own things already.
If you run into another example, I'd suggest you post here along with how you think it should be smoothed over.
Then we'd be quite happy to help you make that happen! And then you could help us making the Build Mod better still. :woot

Back