• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Drastic fall in profit from your land?

ANSEL

Corsair
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
I have 7200 acr land
and only get 200-400 gold cons per time, I remember it was several 1000 before this update

I have already mostly run down this issue in the thread where first mentioned, here are the highlights:

Here is the formula, which hasn't changed (last change to that file dailycrewupdate was may 15th):
int land = GetCharacterLand(pchar);
int profit = makeint(LAND_PROFIT_SCALAR * pow(land/100,LAND_PROFIT_POW) * (0.25 + frand(0.5) + makefloat(PerkComm)/4.0) * (0.5 + makefloat(skillComm)/5.0 + makefloat(rand(roundup(makefloat(skillComm)/5.0)))/2.0) * (1.0 + 0.5 * makefloat(PerkBasicLand)));

#define LAND_PROFIT_SCALAR is 5, #define LAND_PROFIT_POW is 1.05

With the help of @Redbeard , we confirmed those defines haven't changed either.

Doesn't look like anything has changed since July 28th, running things down further now...

@Maybe not! But I still strongly file something is wrong! My title is now Erfridder
and this title should give more profit, at least it use to do,

@ANSEL of course, as I said I am looking into it further. Let's run the math from that formula.

Let's take your 7200 acres, and assume you have basic commerce, advanced commerce, land ownership perks, and commerce skill of 10.

7200/100 is 72. Raised to 1.05, it is 89.
Multiply by 5 and we have 445.
Plugging in values we have:

445*(frand (.5) + .25 +.5) * (0.5 + 2.0 + rand(2)/2) * 1.5

Let's simplify with rolling things near the average for the randoms

445* (1)*(3)*1.5= 2000 or so on average.

So Ansel should indeed be getting more money, around 2000 on average.

However, the relevant formulas have not changed at all, so the problem lies elsewhere, and does not seem to be a result of the recent patch.

Can you upload a saved game @ANSEL ?

Last edited:
My head is spinning now, so I will close the store for to night :sick

Was it too much math? :) That was me working things out, the only thing needed from you is a saved game, as I said.

The summary is, yes, you should be getting more money, but the formulas and factors haven't changed in recent updates, so there is a problem, but not with the formula or the patch probably, so a saved game is needed to look into it further.

Goodnight @ANSEL ! :)

EDIT: leaving now, so someone else will have to check into the saved game when posted tomorrow. But the above should resolve the first stage of the bug-hunting at least, and confirm the formula is fine and unchanged.

Last edited:
I can't remember anything being changed here on purpose.
Unless the player skill numbers are being read wrong.

@ANSEL: Do you have similar skills and abilities compared to last time?
That is the only thing I can think of right now that might make a difference.

Well here is one problem already:
Code:
    int skillComm = CalcCharacterSkill(pchar, SKILL_COMMERCE);
    int PerkComm = CheckPerkForSingleCharacter(pchar,"BasicCommerce") + CheckPerkForSingleCharacter(pchar,"AdvancedCommerce");
    int PerkBasicLand = CheckPerkForSingleCharacter(pchar,"BasicLandOwner");
    int skillLuck = GetShipSkill(pchar,SKILL_SNEAK);

This is how the perks and skills are calculated.
PerkComm and PerkBasicLand will only be 1 if pchar has it because it used CheckPerkForSingleCharacter which returns only true if YOU have it, not if it's contributed. So these should be changed at least.

@ANSEL could it be that you don't have those perks but your officers do?

@Levis I have all the perks. The problem could be I play with unlock perks, but it haven't
gives me no problems before now.

PerkComm and PerkBasicLand will only be 1 if pchar has it because it used CheckPerkForSingleCharacter which returns only true if YOU have it, not if it's contributed. So these should be changed at least.
No they shouldn't, because that function call is intentional.
It is YOUR land and while a Quartermaster does contribute for anything ship-related, why would he have any influence on your estate ashore?
He's not even there! :cheeky

Here you have the savegame:

Attachments

• -=Player=- San Salvador. White Reefs. February 21st, 1633.zip
    909.2 KB · Views: 167
No they shouldn't, because that function call is intentional.
It is YOUR land and while a Quartermaster does contribute for anything ship-related, why would he have any influence on your estate ashore?
He's not even there! :cheeky
true ... you can't assign an officer to your land right?

@Levis @Pieter Boelen

Had a moment to take a peak at Ansel's saved game:

His character does NOT have basic commerce, advanced commerce, or landowner, and only has a personal commerce skill of 4.

He gets about 400 gold a day from his land.

These results are consistent with the formula
int profit = makeint(LAND_PROFIT_SCALAR * pow(land/100,LAND_PROFIT_POW) * (0.25 + frand(0.5) + makefloat(PerkComm)/4.0) * (0.5 + makefloat(skillComm)/5.0 + makefloat(rand(roundup(makefloat(skillComm)/5.0)))/2.0) * (1.0 + 0.5 * makefloat(PerkBasicLand)));

@ANSEL you need to get those perks personally, see Pieter and Levis's discussion above.

Not a bug, everything is working as programmed, and unchanged since before May.

So then I assume the difference is that @ANSEL did have higher commerce skills and/or those perks during his last play-through.
That is definitely the most likely reason. :yes

Yes, though I think @ANSEL 's report is very valuable and has drawn our attention to an important issue, and it can count as a bug:

Revised Bug: Players are not properly informed that their quatermaster's skills will not help them with their land profit.

I mean, the quatermaster has "landowner" as a contributing skill--who would think it doesn't actually conribute? Even Levis thought this was a mistake. So while I agree with Pieter that the way it currently is makes sense, we need to find a way to actually communicate it to the player, through dialogue or otherwise.

EDIT which is part of a broader project @Pieter Boelen has mentioned many times, of properly informing the player and clarifying the mechanics

So, great job @ANSEL on reporting this, there is an issue here that certainly does need to be fixed! :) Just the issue is not with the profits themselves, but rather with informing the player of how they are determined.

Players are not properly informed that their quatermaster's skills will not help them with their land profit.
Technically "Not a Bug", but we can certainly make a valid feature request out of it.
First need confirmation from @ANSEL though to find out if this could indeed be the reason.

I mean, the quatermaster has "landowner" as a contributing skill--who would think it doesn't actually conribute? Even Levis thought this was a mistake. So while I agree with you Pieter that the way it currently is makes sense, we need to find a way to actually communicate it to the player, through dialogue or otherwise.
I can definitely see that part being confusing. How to communicate it though?

First need confirmation from @ANSEL though to find out if this could indeed be the reason.

If indeed he did not have the perks personally in the July 28th edition but was getting several thousand gold a day at 7200 acres, then either his internal settings were changed from default there for the relevant factors (Redbeard helped me confirm July 28 had the same defaults, as mentioned above) or (unlikely) there was some bug in the July 28th edition that gave more money than it should. The second one might be interesting to track down, but it seems a very remote possibility, given that nothing has changed in the files.

What we can be certain of is that the current September version awards the correct amount of gold. I ran his save for several days, watched all the amounts, and all were correct when you use the formula with the perks set to 0. He was getting things roughly around 400, ranging up and down a 100 or so by the random factor, which are all exactly as designed.

I''ll make a feature request for the communication issue, rather than put my ideas here, to keep things organized. :)

EDIT: @ANSEL make sure to look at the prior post--we aren't dismissing your issue, you have identified a very real problem, and we are making a feature request to solve it. As always, your playtesting and reports are incredibly useful! :)

Last edited:
I cant follow you with those perks, I have all available perks?
Don't missing a single one.

Back