• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Early XVIII-century barque

Rider88

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
This is my first project in Maya. A few weeks ago I decided to create something in Maya 2013 to compare it with 3D Studio MAX and to decide which program is better and more convenient.

This vessel is a barque-rigged merchant. Her plans was found on one of Russian ship-builders forums. I don't know what is her country of origin but she is definitely an early 1700 vessel.

Armament: 12 guns + 2 stern chasers.

Main deck: 6x6 lbs
Quarterdeck: 6x4lbs
Stern chasers: 2x6lbs.

Maybe she also carried few svivels, but I have no information about that.

Here are some renders:

B1.jpeg
B2.jpeg
B3.jpeg

That's a nice little vessel! Looks like it would make a good replacement for the PotC stock barque. :keith

How are you finding Maya, so far? Have you seen Autodesk's official video tutorials?
For more realistic renders, I'd recommend using the physical sun and sky with the mental ray renderer. (See HERE for an example.)
For more information, search "mental ray" and "sun and sky" in the User's Guide.

My first thought when I saw the first pic was "That's a large Hoy." They were made in 1 and 2 mast configurations.
It will be a welcome addition to the fleet. :onya

Very nice work so far, Rider. And it´s good to see that people are working on merchant vessels, too.

Indeed! Excellent work as usual Rider! :onya

I love all of your work! It inspires!!!

MK

That's a nice little vessel! Looks like it would make a good replacement for the PotC stock barque. :keith

How are you finding Maya, so far? Have you seen Autodesk's official video tutorials?
For more realistic renders, I'd recommend using the physical sun and sky with the mental ray renderer. (See HERE for an example.)
For more information, search "mental ray" and "sun and sky" in the User's Guide.

Comparing Maya and 3d max it is difficult to tell which is better. For example I spent much less time creating hull shape in Maya, than I used to spend working in 3d Max, but Maya lacks polygon editing tools, so it is easier to create more complicated objects such as stern ornaments in 3d Max; UV editor in Maya is less convenient in Maya than in 3d max, IMO. But I used to work in 3d Max 8 and my version of Maya is 2013, so for a real comparison I should try a newer version of 3d max.
I haven't seen official tutorials for Maya, I used tutorials from digital-tutors.com.

Very nice work so far, Rider. And it´s good to see that people are working on merchant vessels, too.

As long as there are gifted modelers working on warships I really don't need to do it by myself :) Thought I'm going to create a warship in future. It will be a Cinco Llagas/Arabella frigate from R.Sabattini series of novels about Captain Blood. I've made a research about how a Spanish heavy frigate of the second half of 17th century could look like. Now I'm at the stage of producing a plan, based on pictures and engravings of that time.

Indeed! Excellent work as usual Rider! :onya

I love all of your work! It inspires!!!

MK

Thanks, MK! I really like merchant vessels and small naval crafts such as sloops, snows, brigs, brigantines, etc. They were 'closer' to pirates era, being pirates' victims or were converted to pirate vessels instead of large warships like frigates and 4th rates which almost never served as pirate ships.

Comparing Maya and 3d max it is difficult to tell which is better. For example I spent much less time creating hull shape in Maya, than I used to spend working in 3d Max, but Maya lacks polygon editing tools, so it is easier to create more complicated objects such as stern ornaments in 3d Max; UV editor in Maya is less convenient in Maya than in 3d max, IMO. But I used to work in 3d Max 8 and my version of Maya is 2013, so for a real comparison I should try a newer version of 3d max.
I haven't seen official tutorials for Maya, I used tutorials from digital-tutors.com.
You might be interested in this thread: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/maya-2014-new-modelling-features.20373/
Maya 2014 is coming out soon, and features better tools to make modelling more efficient.

As for tutorials, I'd recommend the Maya Learning Channel on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MayaHowTos
The tutorials refer to the most recent versions of Maya. There's also a channel for 3ds Max: http://www.youtube.com/user/3dsMaxHowTos

Just me really, but cannot seem to get to grips with 3ds Max. Not too keen on Maya 2012 either, but if we're sticking to the UDK for HoO, suppose I'll have to learn on newer programs.
Smart looking model your on with though Rider:onya

Thank God- we've been needing a bathtub or two. I'm not being sarcastic either. Everyone seems to like to build distinguished fast-sailors with very fine lines, and we have a horrible deficit of high-quality rounded merchantmen. (Hint, for those of you with time.)

Will continue to work on it shortly, just need to get a desktop powerful enough to run 3D Max and Maya. Sorry for being absent for so long, had to migrate to Australia and it took some time to settle here.

Cheers

Back