• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Edit PSD file with The GIMP?

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
A year or so ago, I used to have Photoshop CS2 installed and did a fair bit of work with that. However, I do not have that anymore.
What I do have is The GIMP, which I have been given to understand should be able to do the same that Photoshop can.
"Should" being the defining word, because it is totally not doing what I need it to.

When I open my old PSDs with The GIMP, I get just a single layer, so I cannot edit a thing.
Which is very strange indeed, because I know that file has a whole bunch of them.
All I want to do is to edit a text and change the background picture, but this way I cannot do it.

Even more odd is that *some* of my files DO open properly.
Just not the ones I actually need. :modding

I have a very simple Photoshop which I can upload a copy of if you're interested Pieter.

Okay I have uploaded it on the ftp. It will take a while to download.
Hope you can choose english when isnstalling and that all works.

Transparent background can't be done but is easy in GIMP as @Armada said.

Photoshop does some things a lot differently than GIMP, so there will be some discrepancy when working with layers. It is kind of like the difference between Microsoft Office and Libre Office, there are intentional incompatibilities built in to the formats by Microsoft to try and force people to pay outrageous amounts of money. I actually considered buying a full blown copy of Photoshop, it is the best editor out there after all, then they decided to go to the monthly subscription service, and I decided to stick with GIMP. The term "Free Software" means a lot more than just software at no monetary cost.

Back