• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

El Patron (Humberto Indigo Diaz)

I have been looking through ALL of our quest writing tutorials to figure out how to initiate my first quest. I already have the starting location down (and I will be changing the model as well), but I need help trying to figure out how to make a code.

I know I will have to create two new dialog folders for the first conversation with Tomas Tiplamano and Humberto (the technical code and the conversation itself), but I can't seem to figure out how to actually get him to approach you when you start, even after looking over the Devlin Quest_reaction file in notepad. I have been away from pirates ahoy for a while, and I need help getting back on my feet again. Is there a full tutorial dedicated to starting an entire storyline on your own? If so, I need a little help trying to find it.

What you've seen is all there is for tutorials.

To start, you need some code in StartStoryline.c like this:
Code:
	//Beatrice
PChar.quest.Start = "";
PChar.quest.Start.win_condition.l1 = "location";
PChar.quest.Start.win_condition.l1.character = PChar.id;
PChar.quest.Start.win_condition.l1.location = "Redmond_port";
PChar.quest.Start.win_condition = "Start";
//Beatrice
That tells the game in what location to trigger the first case. The location is usually set to the starting location of the storyline.

Then you need to put some code to execute in quests_reaction.c like this:
Code:
		case "Start":
trace("Executing Start");
NPChar = characterFromID("Mystery Messenger");
ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(NPChar, "Redmond_port", "officers", "sea_1_1");
LAi_SetActorType(PChar);
LAi_SetActorType(NPChar);
LAi_ActorWaitDialog(PChar, NPChar);
LAi_ActorFollow(NPChar, PChar, "Start_1", -1);
SetNextWeather("Blue Sky"); 
break;
Make sure the character you're using exists and is defined in PROGRAM\Storyline\[YOUR STORYLINE]\characters\init .
If you can get him to show up and start a dialog, you'll already have managed something.

Then you can try to make an actual dialog file as in PROGRAM\Storyline\[YOUR STORYLINE]\dialogs

Okay, I did what you said, but whenever I start up the campaign, it does start a new game, but the screen goes blank when the storyline actually starts. Only the gameplay is black screened, because whenever I click on the stats screen or the menu, it is there. I know something did work though, and as soon as I work out this glitch, I'll be good to go with the storyline.

For one thing, your quest cases should be inside the } marks, otherwise they won't get executed.
The code in StartStoryline triggers the "Start" case, so that's where you need to put your next lines of code as in my example above.
The player character is ALWAYS initialized, so you don't need to worry about that.
However, you must add the characters to the game who you need for your story that aren't already in there, in this case "Tomas Tiplamano".

I told you two posts above: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16070-el-patron-humberto-indigo-diaz/page__view__findpost__p__394223

Copy a file from another storyline, put it in PROGRAM\Storyline\[YOUR STORYLINE]\characters\init, remove all the characters but one and change him into Tomas Tiplamano.
The filename doesn't matter, but it helps if you choose something to remind you which character is in which file.
That's only important if you end up with a big lot of characters though and they're easily enough moved around if necessary, so no worries there.

How do I stop the screen from going black though? I have tried everything. And I did what you said. I copied the Storyline/LegendJackSparrow/characters/init/story file and replaced it with the STORY file I have in mine. I also changed the name to Tomas Tiplamano. I don't know if it worked or not, judging from my blank screen. Has that ever happened to you when you start up a storyline?

Point 5 in the link below... just attach error.log, compile.log and system.log to a post in this thread :yes

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/14915-build-mod-and-forum-faq/page__view__findpost__p__352879

I am actually not receiving any error log when I start it up, the screen just goes blank, but the game itself still runs fine.

Back