• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Enemy captains with "Light Repair" perk are unsinkable

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
If an enemy captain has the "Light Repair" perk (the one which allows you to quickly repair your ship up to 10% hull if it's on the verge of sinking) then his ship is unsinkable. I've seen this twice. The most recent was while I was playing the "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance" side quest - I was continuing an "Ardent" game in free-play after completing the story and wanted to take the Dauphin Royale against the Flying Dutchman. I'd brought plenty of ammo and still had a lot left by the time the Dutchman was down to around 10% hull, then found that I couldn't finish it off.

The first time I had this problem was when I was developing the "Hornblower" side quest. This time it was El Supremo who had the perk and as a result, the Natividad did the same thing - I had hit it enough times to take it down to around 10% hull, then couldn't finish it off even after expending the rest of my ammo.

I don't think I've seen this happen with random ships, though most times I board them rather than sink them with cannonfire. But if the captain of the Temeraire ever gets the "Light Repair" perk, the first sea battle scene in the "Hornblower" storyline is going to be impossible to win.

It may be possible to sink an enemy ship which has "Light Repair", and it's certainly possible for you to be sunk if you have the perk. You'd need to hit the enemy ship hard enough to take it from greater than 10% hull straight to 0 in one salvo. And you'll sink if you don't activate the perk quickly enough before the next broadside hits you. But getting the Flying Dutchman from 11% to 0% in one salvo is probably not possible, and getting either the Temeraire or Natividad from 11% to 0% in one salvo from a frigate also isn't going to happen.

If I recall, I heard reports before that sometimes Abilities don't require their allotted "recharge time".
That was never clearly defined and proven, but I suspect it is true (at least under certain circumstances) and might be the reason for this effect.

This is a bug? It has been like this for a long time. You can blow it to splinters if you have a big enough fleet so it can not repair, board, or just sail away.

Very possibly, though I've never seen it happen before, and I've sunk the Flying Dutchman on several occasions (every time I've played "Tales of a Sea Hawk). If the Flying Dutchman is to be unsinkable then I lose interest in the "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance" side quest, since the only reason I play it is when I have a 100 gun ship and want to take on the Dutchman.

A 'DeleteAttribute' to command to strip the captain of any existing "Light Repair" perk ought to prevent it from spoiling quests where you need to sink an enemy ship, starting with Hornblower's battle against the Temeraire and probably the one against Natividad as well. I didn't force the issue in the side quest, you can board the Natividad if you want, but it was sunk in the book and film so if you're playing the scene "properly" then you ought to be able to sink it as well. Temeraire can't be boarded.

On the other hand, leaving it as it is could be useful. If you want an enemy ship to be impossible to sink but possible to cripple so that you can board it, make sure the captain does have "Light Repair". So long as ships in random encounters don't prove to be unsinkable, I still think that a 'DeleteAttribute' command to strip quest captains of the perk will prevent sinkable quest ships from being unsinkable. Meanwhile a 'ch.perks.list.LightRepair = true' line in the captain's definition can give him the perk to make his ship impossible to sink, possible to damage, and the captain himself still mortal.

If my theory is correct, then the correct solution would be to figure out why the "recharge time" is being ignored.

New here (actually, sign up just to hear some information about my bugs). Got same problem with russian version. No solution yet? Maybe replacing some files (take them from eng version?) would help? Which ones then?
Because it's very annoying. Thanks in advance, and sorry for bad english (and for disturbing)

I also got boarding bug with spanish (but nevermind, as long as the boarding just occurs after "sailto" command.

P.S. Also the rumours dialogue is empty (when NPC should tell you the rumour itself I've got empty string). Just also asking about it here in hope there is an easy solution (ha-ha).

With or without any mods?
Well, here is my version. No standalone mods.
37f22b0d3580.png

Green text is just the russian translation of the mod
And I've downloaded both from same site. So, no problems should be with it (I suppose)

Green text is just the russian translation of the mod
Wow, I didn't even know there WAS a Russian translation! :shock
Would you care to share the link? Maybe other people here are interested too. :doff

That being said, unfortunately there is no solution yet. :(

But the good news: there IS a new version with a lot of other fixes and improvements.
Link in my signature. English version, of course, but maybe someone can update the Russian version to match. :cheers

Wow, I didn't even know there WAS a Russian translation! :shock
Would you care to share the link? Maybe other people here are interested too. :doff

That being said, unfortunately there is no solution yet. :(

But the good news: there IS a new version with a lot of other fixes and improvements.
Link in my signature. English version, of course, but maybe someone can update the Russian version to match. :cheers

Пираты Карибского Моря: Новые Горизонты - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons
Here is the site. But the launcher installation gave me black screen at start, so I recommend to install in manual way (more manual than launcher, but working one, heh) Both ways present on site.

But some people don't experience this bug, yes? If so, maybe I really should try to replace some files.
So, firstly I'll try to download newer one and see, if it's still here. Save game from my version, I suppose, not compatible?

Actually, I started to, ehm, retranslate it for myself (a lot of mistakes in that version and, at all, not really good translation. It seems journal was translated with google sometimes)
So, it would be cool to know all files that need translation.
And may I ask, what do you think, will this translation work on newer version and I just will see eng text sometimes? Or it just will cause many bugs and other things.

Save game from my version, I suppose, not compatible?
Indeed not compatible....

Actually, I started to, ehm, retranslate it for myself (a lot of mistakes in that version and, at all, not really good translation. It seems journal was translated with google sometimes)
So, it would be cool to know all files that need translation.
And may I ask, what do you think, will this translation work on newer version and I just will see eng text sometimes? Or it just will cause many bugs and other things.
Careful WinMerging required to avoid bugs.
@Homo eructus may be able to give some advice on how to handle those translations.

Indeed not compatible....

Careful WinMerging required to avoid bugs.
@Homo eructus may be able to give some advice on how to handle those translations.
So, I'll try the newest version and stuck with it if it helps me to get rid of main bug (yep, no cooldown on sail abilities). Otherwise, I'll just install new version without deleting old. Because too much into that walkthrough.

Thanks, I'll search on forum firstly, I think. Sure it was discussed somewhere someday.

And, what about rumours from "rumour_strings.txt" which in my game are empty dialogue strings (in file itself there are many, but never saw any of them ingame)? Localisation problem or in english version someone experienced this too?

Someone did something wrong? Cause I can't imagine why this should happen by editing only dialogue lines.
If something went wrong with the code syntax on one line, it could cause the entire rumour init file to fail loading.
In that case, no rumours would show up at all.

Is there an error.log in your main game folder? If so, see if that contains a clue.

Thank you again for quick reply, was really surprised by that)
You're welcome.
I can't always guarantee an equally fast response, so today was our lucky day. ;)

If something went wrong with the code syntax on one line, it could cause the entire rumour init file to fail loading.
In that case, no rumours would show up at all.

Is there an error.log in your main game folder? If so, see if that contains a clue.

You're welcome.
I can't always guarantee an equally fast response, so today was our lucky day. ;)
So, it seems that russian translation not as clean as it should be. After all, it still unfinished (what a surprise). But I don't complain, because of that version I discovered NH at all
Uhm, actually I decided to delete old version) And the solution might be that simple (totally forgot about logs when thinking about rumours bug). But nevermind, cooldown bug is the reason.

So, I'll tell which bugs disappeared after playing for a couple of hours. After all, not so difficult english in PotC. But still, idea of localizing won't let me enjoy eng version for a while)

Nope. Now I'm sure, russian version isn't the reason (just for the info). Could the problem be with files that aren't replaced by NH files after installation? (version of the original game is 1.00, eng, but maybe should try another link)

BTW, I edited initmodels and modelsdescription and it's ok, but (not really important, but still) when selecting different model for Hawk storyline (was just testing, never do that) there is no description only under my edited character preset/model (in free play all ok). Why it could be?

Last edited:
BTW, I edited initmodels and modelsdescription and it's ok, but (not really important, but still) when selecting different model for Hawk storyline (was just testing, never do that) there is no description only under my edited character preset/model (in free play all ok). Why it could be?
Possibly a mismatch between the "model.description" line in "initModels.c" and the line in "models_description.txt"? For example, for the original "Blaze" model for Nathaniel Hawk, "initModels.c" has this:
Code:
model.description =  "Give me something with black trousers and vest, in the Russian style.";
And the English version of "models_description.txt" has this:
Code:
Give me something with black trousers and vest, in the Russian style.{Give me something with black trousers and vest, in the Russian style.}
The first part must exactly match the line in "initModels.c". The part inside the {} is what you will see on screen. A Russian translation will presumably have Russian language versions of all translation files in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\RUSSIAN" or something similar, and the Russian version of "models_description.txt" will have a line something like:
Code:
Give me something with black trousers and vest, in the Russian style.{Дайте мне что-нибудь с черными брюками и жилеткой, в русском стиле.}

Could you upload your versions of "initModels.c" and "models_description.txt", and say which model is not showing its description?

Back