• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved engine.exe crashes when loading, ShiftShader does not function

LordVagax

Landlubber
Aye mates

New meat here, so straight to the point, i have a problem. I recently looted PotC and installed the PotC Build mod and the ShiftShader 2.0 mod.

However it still fails to load. The d3d8.dll is there and all the other stuff from the ShiftShader but nothing works.

Edit:
I now put it on Run as Admin and also use some compatibility options from Windows. Now it loads up to the start cabin but as soon i want to exit it crashes once again

Welcome to the forum, mate!

What kind of graphics card do you have? If you do NOT have an Intel Onboard Graphics card, DON'T use SwiftShader; the game should run much better without.

Anyway, you might want to have a look at the following parts from our FAQ that might help. Let us know how it goes.

3. My game doesn't work; now what?
I had the typical crash after starting a new game on windows 7 and tried every suggestion under the sun. None worked for me until I found a site (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-7-922313) which provides a link to the "Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6" (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7352).

I downloaded the "ApplicationCompatibilityToolkitSetup.exe". This includes a program called "Compatability Administrator (32-bit)" which has a list of what appears to be every game in existence, including - surprisingly - Pirates of the Caribbean by Akella. The tool seemed to install a fix and after playing the game and restarting my computer the game now works.
The game tends not to work if:
- You have an Intel Onboard Graphics Card [workaround with Swiftshader Software Rendering - more info]
- You use ffdshow and don't have the game added to your "exception list"
- You don't make sure to disable "Safe mode" for Sounds in Config.exe to avoid crashes and graphic freezes

4. My original game works but the mods don't; now what?
If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 install the original game OUT of the Program Files (ie. C:/My Games/Pirates of the Caribbean) the security system doesnt allow the Program Files to change for these operating system

If you can't get the game to work and none of these things apply to you, then feel free to post it in PotC Technical

5. I installed the Build Mod as per the instructions, but now my game doesn't work
Please "Enable Error Logging":
- Open "engine.ini" in your main game folder.
- Find the "debuginfo = 0" line and change it to "debuginfo = 1".
- Find the "runtimelog = 0" line and change it to "runtimelog = 1".
- Find the "tracefilesoff = 1" line and change it to "tracefilesoff = 0".
- Start the game and wait until the error occurs.
- Now find compile.log, system.log and the possible error.log in your main game folder.
- Post their contents here
It should look like this:
Code:
tracefilesoff = 0
[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1

It is best to go into "options" in the main menu before attempting to play POTC. Then go into your POTC folder and open config.exe and uncheck safe mode. Then go into engine.ini and set your screen resolution at the top and then enable error logging. POTC should then run.

Also,it sounds like you are starting the standard storyline. This starts with a tutorial where you are walked around town and are shown how to do various things. You are not allowed to "save" until the tutorial is finished and Malcolm leaves. If you try to leave before that the game ends.

Ah thanks for the warm welcome and the information. Quickly made a list of the info you gave so that should keep me busy.
Oh and yes i use the Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I'm pretty sure you can save in the Tutorial; done it plenty of times.

I have just saved straight after the opening dialog with Malcolm in the captain's cabin while he's still there.

Crickey! I just did too. It has crashed on me when trying it before, like on the deck in the fencing tutorial.

This bugged me because I know I have tried and failed to save before, so just played the tutorial again. It seems that the only place one can not save is when you first arrive on the dock. I could save everywhere else.

Hey please may you help me out? I really want to play this game as I'm a very big Pirate enthusiast. Well I've installed POTC clean from the disk but when I click New Game at the menu it crashes. I'm running on a Windows 7, 6GB Memory, 64Bit, Intel Core i5-2430MB CPU @2.40 GHz. I havn't tried installing a mod yet as I wanted to see if the fresh install will work first, I am wanting to install mods for it when I get the issues fixed though.

Thanks,
Luke.

Oh I forgot, I did an error log and here are the results:

Compile.log
Code:
Init encounters complete.
Init weathers complete. 10 weathers found.
Init character names complete.
Main_LogoVideo() 0
PauseAllSounds
ResetSoundScheme
proc_break_video()
Main_LogoVideo() -1
Can`t key named as: VK_B
Number of locations: 288
bool CreateParticleEntity()
n is 2
SETTING MUSIC: music\Coridor.ogg
ResetSoundScheme
Number of locations: 288
bool CreateParticleEntity()
n is 2
!!! Reload to 216
LoadLocation(ref loc) Tutorial_Deck

System.log
Code:
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 179 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 95876202 ticks.
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value

You have not mentioned your video card. Intel video is not good.

Also, where did you install POTC? The windoze security features kick in if it is installed in "program files" causing it not to run.

I installed it in program files the first time, then I ready somewhere to install it outside of program files so I installed it on my desktop, still no luck though. Also I don't have a video card I run my games purely off my main graphics card

Hi i need a bit of help i have build 14 on my game and everytime i press start when i pick my charater etc. my game crashes and says pirates of the caribbean horizons has stopped workin ? can any1 help me with this ??

Have you read this thread and also the FAQ? You should be able to play POTC as long as it is installed correctly.

Back