• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help engine has stopped working

Shooter

Landlubber
Im new on forum and im searching for help, i have Potc from lot of years but a week ago i decided to install it on my windows 7 to play just like old times, game worked perfectly for 4-5 days until yesterday because I installed build 13, it worked also fine, then i searched for the build 14 and installed it. it had low frame rate due to swiftshrader or something else so I re-installed build 14 ( did installation on my own due to miss of readme files). game worked well but when entering a door or using fast travel or going to sea, engine stops working...
unistalled the original game and reinstalled it 2-3 times, now engine crashes also while playing without mod...
I tried to use the config but when opened it says "error,engine.ini or options file missing"
i searched on old posts of the forum and found a few with similar problems but link to solution were broken
Thank you
Shooter
ps. i got build 14 beta 1 because was the only one aivaible by torrent.
sorry for my bad english, Im italian

:ahoy

A lot has happened since build 13. Most of you problems appear to be caused by you not having the most up to date information about how to install the mods on top of your stock POTC.

First you need to go here and get Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full and Build 14 Beta 2.5 Light.

Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod - Mod DB

Then please read the FAQ. It is in my signature below.

If your computer is up to running the game and you install it correctly, then it will not have an engine.ini crash. That is usually caused by not starting the game and setting the options first.

before use again the mod I want to make the game work properly and i have reinstalled the original game dozens of times but ever the same error the game keeps crashing when using fast travel or by entering a door...

the pc was originally a vista ( potc worked well at that time) then was upgraded to windows 7, has 2 gb ram and graphic card nvidia gt610

Hmm. It ought to work ok. That video card is for home theater, not gaming with a windows performance index of 4.5.

Is your Win7 32 bit or 64 bit? I have Win7 64 bit and it is using 2.64gb of ram just sitting here doing nothing. You might not have enough ram to run Win7 and games too.

is 32 bit but in my opinion there is something other the ram because on that pc i run also other games like cod, bf3, ecc...
maybe something alterated the game because before trying to install build 14, the original game and the build 13 worked fine...

Ok, let's see if this is correct. Stock POTC and Build 13 work fine, but build 14 beta 1 does not work well. That was the experience of all of us back in 2010.

Have you installed beta 2.3 and then beta 2.5 light on top of beta 1?

Can't remember on Beta 1. I thought it worked, but it was a long time ago.

Ugh, that's no good. Glad to hear that we did manage to make some progress then. o_O

beta 1 crashed a 4-5 times until I unistalled it , the dozens of crashes are of the original game after i unistalled the beta... Im waiting to resolve this problem before installing 2.1 and 2.5.. yesterday it crashed only with fast travel ecc. now it crashes in the moment the game finishes to load a saved or a new game. Its normal that when unistalling potc and reinstalling it, i get my old save games?

You might want to remove your entire PotC folder before reinstalling, just to make sure there are no left-overs.

unistalled the original game and reinstalled it 2-3 times, now engine crashes also while playing without mod...
That is exactly what happened to my stock potc before.
Removing the entire folder didn't help. But that's my exp :p

Back