• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Enhanced Smuggling

Cozumel (aka Khael Roa) doesn't have a town.

I like the idea of keeping Barbados without governor.
For Capture Colonies, a fort Commander character is often used instead if required.

Just wondering. Maybe @Pieter Boelen or @ANSEL or @Grey Roger knows.
Is oxbay the only island which has towns on it but doesn't have a governor? (besides Khael Roa but its pirate owned right?)

I still want to make it so the first time you are caught smuggling you are brought to the gouvenor, but it would only work if each island actually has a govenor.
Khael Roa, alias Cozumel, has no town. There are a few other islands which also have no town but none I can think of, other than Barbados/Oxbay, which have a town but no governor anywhere on the island.

Presumably you want to check when someone tries to smuggle into a town, then bring the player before that town's governor? Because if you're basing it on island rather than town, how do you decide which governor to use when there are different governors belonging to different nations on the same island? Hispaniola is probably the worst, having three nations - France, Spain and Pirate (Tortuga can be owned by Pirate, plus there's the buccaneer camp).

I base it off the smuggling nation for the island.

So any objection if I add a governor to greenfort?
Then I could make the system where you are send to the governor the first time you are caught giving you the option to either do the smuggling quest for him or pay a high fine or something like that.

At least Bridgetown is on the other side of the island.
And what's wrong with getting a LoM then? You'll get one shortly after anyway.
In fact, starting as Corsair will give you one at game start as well.

I've got a little request for people playing different storylines.

Could you tell me. If or when smuggelers are involved in the storyline you are playing. This is so I can add the relation to smugglers there (so it changes by your actions). And I can start the smugglers life for me quest once you hear about them.

So how do people like the smuggling now? Is it any better or worse then how it used to be?
What are the thoughts on opium smuggling?

I've got a little request for people playing different storylines.

Could you tell me. If or when smuggelers are involved in the storyline you are playing. This is so I can add the relation to smugglers there (so it changes by your actions). And I can start the smugglers life for me quest once you hear about them.
There is some slight involvement, in that you have the option to start "Ardent" as either Pirate or Personal, and the game assumes that you were caught smuggling if you start off as Personal.

Please leave the "Ardent" storyline alone. I do not want it triggering the "Smugglers Life For Me" quest, nor having anything to do with relation to smugglers, nor have anything in the storyline tied in with any other smuggling code. It will simplify the bit on which I'm working now if I don't need to cater for the "Personal" side, so if you really are determined to add relation to smugglers and "Smugglers Life For Me" to any storyline which mentions smuggling at all, let me know now, then I can remove the "Personal" side entirely. This would be a shame, but if it's the only way to keep "Ardent" separate from other smuggling code then that's how it will have to be.

I think it should be easy enough to not affect the Ardent Storyline, right?
If I understand @Levis correctly, he was thinking of adding some of the "Change Smuggler Liking" lines.
Those don't affect the general game anyway, they just increase your profit margins if you would do smuggling.
But anyway, if they're left out, then nothing changes, right?

While you were away, I ended up making some changes to the behaviour again. I think it still works as you intended though, but hopefully a bit smoother now.

The main changes are related to the Opium Smuggling. You can find some related details here:
Fixed - Opium Smuggling: Fast Travel Remains Disabled Even After Quest Completes | PiratesAhoy!
It's not as I originally intended. I wanted to only have the disable of fast travel if the quest was active because I tought people else would think it to be to annoying. but I'm fine with this too if people don't mind ;).

I think it should be easy enough to not affect the Ardent Storyline, right?
If I understand @Levis correctly, he was thinking of adding some of the "Change Smuggler Liking" lines.
Those don't affect the general game anyway, they just increase your profit margins if you would do smuggling.
But anyway, if they're left out, then nothing changes, right?

Indeed.
Nothing more.

So @Grey Roger you can do that yourself if you want.
If you want the smugglers to like you a bit more (and have better prices) you can just add those change smuggler liking lines to do it.

It's not as I originally intended. I wanted to only have the disable of fast travel if the quest was active because I tought people else would think it to be to annoying. but I'm fine with this too if people don't mind ;).
The problem was that it wasn't cancelled properly. And as long as you carry it, there is a risk of being caught.
If you want to try and restore it to how you had it in such a way that it fully works as it should, I'd welcome it for sure.
I just simplified it so at least it was consistent and technically works. But I can definitely see it being annoying.

So @Grey Roger you can do that yourself if you want.
If you want the smugglers to like you a bit more (and have better prices) you can just add those change smuggler liking lines to do it.
And to further clarify on that, if you don't want that, then you don't need to do anything. ;)

Smuggling is merely a bit of background in "Ardent", nothing more. If the player wishes to actively get involved in smuggling then he'll presumably get "A Smuggler's Life For Me" and relations with other smugglers as a result of that. So I intend to do nothing about smuggling within the storyline.

These are some of the idea's I still have for smuggling I would like to incorperate. I've divided them in before the release and after the release:

Before the release:
- Show the patrol intensity in the colony interface which only updates after you've talked to smugglers.
- If the patrol intensity is at its highest, it's possible if you are docked at a port the coastguards wants to inspect your ship. if they want to a crewmember will warn you about this and you can choose to quickly flee. This would only damage your relation slightly (1 point or so). You can also have them inspect you. If you are smuggling contraband there is a slight chance they will find it, if they do you will get repurcussions. If you have a merchant licence or the trustworthy perk they wont fine you for it (if they are friendly to you, else they might still do).
- If the patrol intensity is at it's lowest the island is saturated with contraband already so the smugglers don't need any (hence the patrols are not present) so the smugglers won't buy untill there is a demand again.
- The ability to buy a ship upgrade from the smugglers which makes you sacrefice a bit of cargo space, but it makes a smugglers hold in your ship. This will reduce the chance inspections find something in your hold a lot.
- a new random quest for the govenor where he tells you he got information about a deal which is going down and he asks you to take care of it (just like the ship hunting quest). This can be used to gain ranks at a country. Ofcourse busting a deal will destroy your relations with the smugglers.

After the release:
- First time you got caught you will be brought before the governor (first requires a governor on each island with smuggling, only bridgetown still needs one) and he will give you the choice of going to jail, paying a fine of help him with something (which will trigger the smugglers life for me sidequest).
- If your relation with the smugglers is very low they might sometimes send assassins or pirates (using the assassin function already in place and/ore the punitive squadron function) after you to try to kill you.
- Some small side quests for smugglers to gain theire trust a bit more.
- and more ;).

Before the release:
- Show the patrol intensity in the colony interface which only updates after you've talked to smugglers.
- If the patrol intensity is at its highest, it's possible if you are docked at a port the coastguards wants to inspect your ship. if they want to a crewmember will warn you about this and you can choose to quickly flee. This would only damage your relation slightly (1 point or so). You can also have them inspect you. If you are smuggling contraband there is a slight chance they will find it, if they do you will get repurcussions. If you have a merchant licence or the trustworthy perk they wont fine you for it (if they are friendly to you, else they might still do).
On the contrary, if you have a merchant licence and are caught smuggling then you should lose it! The same penalties should apply as if you are caught by the coastguard at the moment. The one difference is a LoM because you may have brought in a prize ship carrying contraband, or you may have taken it from a ship which you then sank. If you have a LoM then the stuff is confiscated without further penalty. "Trustworthy" could allow you to pay a reduced amount if you have no LoM as you bribe the coastguard officer, and "Trustworthy" plus a LoM would perhaps allow the coastguard to pay you a part of the price you'd get if you sold the contraband.
- If the patrol intensity is at it's lowest the island is saturated with contraband already so the smugglers don't need any (hence the patrols are not present) so the smugglers won't buy untill there is a demand again.
I'd have thought that if the patrol intensity is at its lowest then there's not much smuggling going on and they don't have much to do. But the effect may be the same - the smugglers won't buy because either they've been caught and aren't around, or they're lying low and still aren't around.
- The ability to buy a ship upgrade from the smugglers which makes you sacrefice a bit of cargo space, but it makes a smugglers hold in your ship. This will reduce the chance inspections find something in your hold a lot.
That raises the possibility of another quest, whether a random repeating quest or a one-off side quest. You have to hide a rebel passenger in that smuggling hold. You're the Caribbean equivalent of Han Solo carrying Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original "Star Wars" film.

After the release:
- First time you got caught you will be brought before the governor (first requires a governor on each island with smuggling, only bridgetown still needs one) and he will give you the choice of going to jail, paying a fine of help him with something (which will trigger the smugglers life for me sidequest).
Could Bridgetown be made to use the prison commandant instead? Or teleport you to Port Royale, as Bridgetown and Speightstown are governed from there. If Port Royale isn't the same nation as Bridgetown / Speightstown (whichever one caught you), because you captured one or other of the towns and handed it to someone else, then teleport you to some other colony of the correct nationality. Also pick somewhere else if you're playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and Port Royale doesn't have a governor either because Silehard has gone treasure-hunting.

I would strongly suggest moving most of that to after the release.

"Show the patrol intensity in the colony interface which only updates after you've talked to smugglers." sounds relatively safe, so that should be OK.

Not being able to sell your contraband might be quite annoying.
If that is what you want to do, I recommend updating the Colonies Interface so that the island doesn't show any contraband at all to prevent confusion.

The ship upgrade sounds like a clear "nice to have", but since it would require adding an extra icon in a spot where only 6 can fit right now, it sounds quite risky and time-consuming.

As far as I know, Punitive Squadrons is stock game code that doesn't work.

Back