• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Expanding the variety of NPCs: First crew done!

alan_smithee

Corsair
Storm Modder
Edit Sept. 14, 2015: Here's the first set of new boarding crew members, nine new pirates. It's called A Buttload of Buccaneers. Installation is part drag and drop and part manual file editing, to be compatible with whichever mod you already use. Contains a readme that details installation.

Here's the download, it's a 13mb zipped file
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=39816749336896942961
---
original post:

I'd like to get my feet wet modding Pirates again by increasing the variety of NPCs, even if it's just a palette swap, starting with the pirate crews you fight. Ideally you wouldn't see two identical guys any more. I'd love to move on to officers and town residents after that.

Texture editing shouldn't be a problem but what I need help with is -- which files is that info stored in, like the list of character models the game picks from? I don't think they would need character portraits, but I'm assuming this is going to be as easy as whipping up some new textures, hex-editing the models, then adding those to the list.

Last edited:
I might have found it: in characters_face.c there's this line

void SetModelPirate(ref ChrefPirate)
{
string ModelPirate;

ModelPirate = "Pirate_" + (rand(9) + 1);

ChrefPirate.model = ModelPirate;
FaceMaker(ChrefPirate);
}

which I assume draws from the list above it in the same document, which has about 200 entries listing model names for different faction types. Thing is, there are close to 30 numbered pirate models in my game (Eras), which is way more than listed in this document. So are they there but someone to forgot to enable them?

edit: The pirate models beyond the stock 9 or so all just refer to the original textures as well. So, newly numbered models but no new textures. Strange.

e2: The dates on these models is pretty old, are they original to the game?

Last edited:
Update: Edited a texture and changed pirate_11.gm to point to it, then added it to that list and changed ModelPirate = "Pirate_" + (rand(9) + 1); to ModelPirate = "Pirate_" + (rand(10) + 1); but he's not showing up, even on a new game, after several boarding missions and a multi-day trip to a pirate colony.

I am no help at all except for moral support. Go for it! :thumbs1

All work on GOF2 ended 2 years ago except for the GOF2.5 mod and the GOF2.1.5 patch, which are fairly recent.

You can not compare GOF2 to ERAS as ERAS was being worked on for years plus has been taking assets from any and all compatible games. It has a lot of content that is not in GOF2.

I was looking at the wrong file after all, it's nations_init I wanted to add the new character models to. Working on some reskins now, I'll expand beyond the stock pirate crew models too. Always seemed weird to me there are so many good piratical characters you never really see much of. Should be compatible with any other mod, provided the player incorporates it into nations_init correctly.

Oddly enough, even with some more dudes to choose from, the game still wants to pick one model and clone it a bunch of times.

Two of these are progress shots of some of the four or five I did (there's one that almost never wants to show up, argh) and a retex of a hero character I've been tinkering with.

http://piratesahoy.net/attachments/pirates-jpg.22548/?temp_hash=995e7383e2dec52f260433fb2b57bee4

http://piratesahoy.net/attachments/pirates1-jpg.22549/?temp_hash=995e7383e2dec52f260433fb2b57bee4

http://piratesahoy.net/attachments/pirates2-jpg.22550/?temp_hash=995e7383e2dec52f260433fb2b57bee4

Attachments

• pirates.jpg
    pirates.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 397
  • pirates1.jpg
    pirates1.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 408
  • pirates2.jpg
    pirates2.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 461

Attachments

• Corsairs3_0176.jpg
    Corsairs3_0176.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 417
  • Corsairs3_0180.jpg
    Corsairs3_0180.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 398
  • Corsairs3_0183.jpg
    Corsairs3_0183.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 433
Those look amazing! I see from the Captain Bartholomew Redd character and the lower open deck shots you are playing Eras. I also play eras. I saw what you said about crashes IMHO it doesnt crash that much more than the stock game. I have been making code improvements but I can't get a hold of the eras modders. There's no email address on the MODDB site and the other one seems abandoned even though there is new screenshots on the MODDB page. I don't get it? I can't even sign up or register on their site. Do you have any contact info for the creator to see if he could be interested in my improvements? I know the guy is banned here so I'm sorry in advance if I am breaking some kind of rule by mentioning it. Just want to help is all.

I PM'd you. Eras is a lot more stable after I uninstalled and reinstalled everything, maybe running the 4GB patch on the executable actually made a difference.

Back