• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Expansion of Slave trading and adjusting of Markets both black and white

Should slaves be contraband?

• Yes

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
Well, seeing as the end of the month is approaching and it is same to say that the majority believe that tho slavery was a grusome practice it wasnt illegal, the next logical step would be to discuss price.

Main article: Triangular Trade
European colonists initially practiced systems of both bonded labour and Indian slavery, enslaving many of the natives of the New World. For a variety of reasons, Africans replaced Indians as the main population of enslaved people in the Americas. In some cases, such as on some of the Caribbean Islands, warfare and diseases such as smallpox eliminated the natives completely. In other cases, such as in South Carolina, Virginia, and New England, the need for alliances with native tribes coupled with the availability of enslaved Africans at affordable prices (beginning in the early 18th century for these colonies) resulted in a shift away from Indian slavery.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade)

The price for a “new” male slave was approximately £50-£70, while the price for a new female slave was approximately £50-£60
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_British_and_French_Caribbean)

Whether we have to adjust from £ to piece of eight...if ye be usin said mod in yer release

Indeed, Maggee is correct, most favor having slaves removed from the contraband list.

I have a slave mod currently on my desktop which I need to update since I got some new files from Luke. I'll release it on Friday (assuming that the current poll results remain the same). This mod will be separate from CMv3 to give people a choice on whether they wish to use it or not.

In regards to price, it uses the vanilla price.

excellent...glad to see that individual users will have the choice. I know for certain that tho I don't like the slave trade, I will be leaning towards historical accuracy.

Now that we have that out of the way, I will do my best to make things more complicated...

Goods were smuggled for 2 reasons:
1. The were illegal goods (perhaps opium)(a new black market item to be made perhaps)
2. The goods in question were under heavy tax.

My thoughts are, what if a colony (lets say tortuga) changes hands from spanish to french to english, wouldnt the tax laws change for said colony, making one set of goods no longer blackmarket

What am I proposing then?
Instead of blackmarket goods being governed by the island, make the blackmarket governed by the nationality of said island.

I do forsee a couple of problems here tho. What happens to an island like cuba, who historically, had large copper mines. Now lets say that england has high taxes on copper therefor making it a blackmarket good. England then conquers cuba (IE your character is english, and instates a English Gov.)

More importantly...how would this be coded. Would it be posible to code a variety of If/then statements?

Code:
If Tortuga = iNation1 then 
Islands[n].Trade.Contraband.id1 = GOOD_OPIUM;
Islands[n].Trade.Contraband.id2 = GOOD_LINEN;
Islands[n].Trade.Contraband.id3 = GOOD_CHOCOLATE;
Islands[n].Trade.Contraband.id4 = GOOD_SAILCLOTH;
Islands[n].Trade.Contraband.id5 = GOOD_CLOTHES;

I realise that this code may make no sense...but just thought i would put it out there

I was diggin through the code again...When i came across this in Program/colonies/Colonies_init.c
Code:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// 
/// Bridgetown
n = 0;
Colonies[n].id = "Bridgetown";
Colonies[n].visible = true;
Colonies[n].smuggling_nation = ENGLAND;
Colonies[n].nation = ENGLAND;
Colonies[n].island = "Barbados";
Colonies[n].islandLable = "Barbados";
colonies[n].num = 1;
colonies[n].ismaincolony = 1;
colonies[n].map.x = 1812;
colonies[n].map.y = 1655;
colonies[n].StoreNum   = Bridgetown_STORE;
colonies[n].from_sea   = "Bridgetown_town";
colonies[n].Default.BoardLocation = "Bridgetown_ExitTown";
colonies[n].FortValue = 60; // homo

Please note the "Colonies[n].smuggling_nation = ENGLAND;" Does anyone have an idea what this means? Does this mean that somewhere in the depth of code, that there a smugglers file that helps determine what is smuggled as well as the contraband list for each island in Islands_init.c ? Or is this just a remenant of the old POTC code?

Im hoping to make the contraband list more dynamic if it is possible.

Maybe its related to the smugglers if they are English or not, change it to another nation and try it out. Or it could be related to the soldiers that try to apprehend you if they are English or not.

thanks for those thoughts. What you say makes more sense...

I'll this one to my 'doodle list'

Maybe its related to the smugglers if they are English or not, change it to another nation and try it out. Or it could be related to the soldiers that try to apprehend you if they are English or not.

I would say its part of the code for the smggler in the tavern, if not then as OP said the soldier's part in apprehending smugglers.

Code:
/// Bridgetown
n = 0;
Colonies[n].id = "Bridgetown";
Colonies[n].visible = true;
Colonies[n].smuggling_nation = HOLLAND;
Colonies[n].nation = ENGLAND;
Colonies[n].island = "Barbados";
Colonies[n].islandLable = "Barbados";
colonies[n].num = 1;
colonies[n].ismaincolony = 1;
colonies[n].map.x = 1812;
colonies[n].map.y = 1655;
colonies[n].StoreNum   = Bridgetown_STORE;
colonies[n].from_sea   = "Bridgetown_town";
colonies[n].Default.BoardLocation = "Bridgetown_ExitTown";
colonies[n].FortValue = 60; // homo
Well I changed Colonies[n].smuggling_nation = ENGLAND to = HOLLAND as shown above...and nothing changed. English soldiers came out to 'greet' me as normal...
I'll keep fiddling with it...

Tho i havent found anything other file that makes reference to this line...so I think this one might be dead in the water

Back