• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Extra Guest Nations for Different Periods

FlyingGhost

Rumrunner
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Would you mind if we keep things as-is for now and look into this for Beta 3.5? Running out of time. :modding

Ideally I'd like to put real nations in their proper place, for example next to the USA flag
and possibly replacing its position in time periods where they don't exist yet.

If necessary, we should be able to add extra free lines for personal flags. Then we can provide more choice with full freedom.

Yes yes, just make a proper Danish nation and add in the Danish West Indies already! :pirate41:

Nah, I'm fine with that. (Would be awesome if there was a small chance of encountering Danish or even Swedish ships though :wp)

@Jack Rackham mentioned something along those lines, if I recall.
Just make a Feature Request for extra nations. We know it is possible and the support is there in the code.
We would just need to make use of it. Nations without islands already exist in some time periods, so that simplifies things.

Sounds splendid. But can someone serve under that nation then? What with promotions and all?

If it is added properly, then yes. For island-less nations, there should be an envoy added to an existing governor's mansion.

So, Denmark (and The Danish West India-Guinea Company) established its first colony in the Caribbean between 1665 and 1672 on the island of St. Thomas. The company kept expanding to St. John (1718) and St. Croix (1733) before they were made crown colonies in 1754. The Danish presence lasted until the islands were sold to the U.S. in 1917 (now the U.S. Virgin Islands).

For the flag refer to this post.

I think a reskin of some of the British units might do as Danes, even though the actual navy would have had little (albeit some) presence. I'm willing to do the research and texturing in that case. If an envoy should be placed on another nation's island I think St. Martin would be the best choice.

Nope, I don't think they were of any great consequence anyway, and I assume making a whole new island would be in quite another league compared to just adding the nation for encounters etc. (though I wouldn't object :napoleon).

I'd love to visit our old colonies once, there's even a bay that shares its name with me on St. Thomas (even though my last name is only two generations old). :8q

Indeed just ships would already be very cool.
To figure out how to do it, search your game folder for AMERICA or GUEST_NATION1 .

About the Knights of Malta... I've never heard of that before. Apparently Courland also owned Tobago for a short while (1654-1689). Sweden squeezed in a colony in the latest period as well (1784). And I thought Denmark's colonial career was petty, it was actually pretty substantial and long term - we also had colonies in Africa, thus benefiting from the triangular trade.

Well, I'm not very well acquainted with the files in general, but it seems to me like the "GUEST2_NATION" is already there and not being used. How to actually start adding in Denmark in that position is beyond me at the moment.

About the Knights of Malta... I've never heard of that before. Apparently Courland also owned Tobago for a short while (1654-1689). Sweden squeezed in a colony in the latest period as well (1784). And I thought Denmark's colonial career was petty, it was actually pretty substantial and long term - we also had colonies in Africa, thus benefiting from the triangular trade.
Yup, the Danish influence is still notable through the many Danish names in the Virgin Islands.

Well, I'm not very well acquainted with the files in general, but it seems to me like the "GUEST2_NATION" is already there and not being used. How to actually start adding in Denmark in that position is beyond me at the moment.
Add your PotC folder to the "Windows Search Index" and search for AMERICA.
That will INSIDE all files and should show you how GUEST1_NATION is used.
You would need to adapt that code to work for Denmark too.

Should be possible, though it will probably take some doing since it occurs in a lot of files.
I think I have a "crest" template somewhere for when you get to that stage.

Oh, the crest has already been made. I found it in one of the earlier versions.
zt6uzUa.png

So, Denmark (and The Danish West India-Guinea Company) established its first colony in the Caribbean between 1665 and 1672 on the island of St. Thomas. The company kept expanding to St. John (1718) and St. Croix (1733) before they were made crown colonies in 1754. The Danish presence lasted until the islands were sold to the U.S. in 1917 (now the U.S. Virgin Islands).

For the flag refer to this post.

I think a reskin of some of the British units might do as Danes, even though the actual navy would have had little (albeit some) presence. I'm willing to do the research and texturing in that case. If an envoy should be placed on another nation's island I think St. Martin would be the best choice.

@FlyingGhost are you making Denmark as a nation? That would really be awesome!!
I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that on a stone or a sign somewhere in the the caribbean should be written "Here ravaged Danish and French pirates in the year 1630" - If it is true, we have been there long long before the colonies were built. Which also makes sense in relation to the early kings pondered the caribbean as a colonial territory. (it would not surprise me if King Christian 4. and/or Frederik 3. unofficially saw the possibility of Caribbean privateers long long before we officially arrived ;) )

Back