• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Extra History

Mask

HoO Team Member
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Support
Quest Writer
Extra Credits is bringing Extra History back! They originally covered the Punic Wars, giving an enjoyable overview of the conflict. I thought you might be interested.

Also, if anyone is interested, we could act to our advantage by voting for interesting histories related to sailing and pirates. They said they'd list interesting games related to the history they cover, and would list the people who voted for the idea, so we could get some added exposure among people who are interested in history, video games, and pirates. That would be good, focused advertising.

You can find the video below. They also link to their episodes about the Punic Wars, so you can see how fun they are for yourselves. I hope you guys like the idea.

If you were to vote for history you'd like Extra History to cover, what would you vote for? Naval action(s) of the Napoleonic wars?

This is good to hear! I enjoyed their series on the Punic Wars, so I'm looking forward to future episodes.

Obviously it would be fantastic for them to cover one of the many periods of the Age of Sail, and there's a lot to choose from.
The Napoleonic Wars would probably be a popular choice, though it would be nice to highlight some of the less well-known periods too.

Now that we know Assassin's Creed: Rogue will be set in the Seven Years' War, that makes at least two pirate/sailing games (including HoO) set in that period, which makes it a sensible choice. :cheeky
There are lots of other periods that deserve recognition though, and to be honest I'd just be happy to see any Age of Sail period featured.

Yeah! Punic Wars was good, didactic and fun. These guys are good.

Also, if anyone is interested, we could act to our advantage by voting for interesting histories related to sailing and pirates. They said they'd list interesting games related to the history they cover, and would list the people who voted for the idea, so we could get some added exposure among people who are interested in history, video games, and pirates. That would be good, focused advertising.
I like your thinking! That would definitely be verrry nice if we could accomplish that! :cheers

We do really ought to decide which histories to vote on, however. I'm not sure yet if multiple votes for the same period count for a higher chance of that topic being picked, or if it's just to select the entries up for picking.

I asked some questions before, so one of you ought to ask via your Patreon whether voting increases the chances of a topic being picked.

Returning to the subject of the subjects... the main point is that it should be something related exciting to tall-sail navy, between the 18 and 1600s. The life of a famous pirate, famous naval campaigns, perhaps even a famous battle if the details around it are interesting enough for a full episode. We should all suggest some histories, and then each pick one to vote for.

Or, if multiple votes increase the chance of a history being picked, we choose the best and most interesting choice out of our suggestions and each vote for it.

I was going to vote for the Red Flag Fleet, but since China isn't going to be in the game for a while and because of the rather different naval combat/situation, it's probably not a good choice. The life of Black Beard is what I think of next, along with some of the naval campaigns of the Napoleonic wars, but those are pretty typical examples when something more exciting and unknown ought to be chosen.

I'd say 7 years war would fit our efforts. If we want to be more specific, perhaps something like naval warfare in the 7 years war, or 7 years war in the Caribbean, cause otherwise they might just spend the bulk of that episode in Europe. Which could be cool anyway, but, I don't know, I guess we might try to answer first the question, what do we expect to gain from such an episode? Popularity for our cause? Insight on something? New ideas?

Indeed the 7-Year War would be the most obvious choice. It is the initial setting for our game and the new AC one.
So it is fairly relevant.

BTW: Moved this thread to the public Promotions forum, since I think that is where it belongs. :doff

First wave of voting will be September 1st. We don't need to get a suggestion up immediately, in fact it'd be good to wait until the game is in a state we can show off.

Back