• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fastest and most maneuverable high-level ship?

Strannik

Sailor Apprentice
Programmer
Provisional
Hearts of Oak Donator
Hi guys! after playing for a while I have realized that I relish quickness and nimbleness when it comes to ships. As I climb up the ship ladder, it seems that I only find huge slow ships above level 5. Since you guys are quite experienced. Which ship would you recommend for me?

So far the best I have found is the 'Swordfish' Xebec, which is a level 5. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Which time period are you playing in? That would make quite a difference.

Nothing is overall faster or more manueverable than the Xebecs. You can go for the Arcadia Xebec or a battle frigate, but pretty much anything will be slower.

Thanks for your answers! I'm playing the 'Tales of a Sea Hawk' story. I believe this is the colonial powers period. Who has the Acadia Xebec or battle frigates?

Oh. The Arcadia is French and Spanish and rare. The battle frigates are in a later time period.

You could try out the Kreyser class frigates, but as you move deeper into the game you will find that you will be sacrificing manueverability for hitting power. To take a fort you needs ships with very strong hulls and at least 18 pound cannons.

Last edited:
My personal favourite for general pirating in "Tales of a Sea Hawk" is the flushdeck frigate, which has reasonable speed and agility along with better firepower than other frigates. But for capturing forts, I need something bigger, e.g. a 5th Rate Man Of War or a 3rd Rate Battleship.

Note that you can berth a ship at a shipyard, so if you've taken a slow, heavy ship for fort-bashing, you can park it somewhere and leave it there until you need it. When you're about to attack a fort, go to that shipyard and swap the battlewagon for your smaller ship, do the fort attack, then return and swap back to your fast ship.

Thank you very much all for your answers! I will give the flushdeck frigate a try and look for the arcadia as well.

Back