• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixing Sail Errors

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
I haven't seen this mentioned before, but its been bothering me so much lately that I though I should make the request.
CoAS's trys'ls, lateen sails, etc., all follow the wind completely wrong. they should behave more like sqares'ls in relation with their position to the wind. I have no Idea how to fix this, and I was wondering if it was possible.
(I guess I'll post pictures of the Pilgrim's summer sail to illustrate my point once they are uploaded)

That did come out a little angrier than intended, but oh well.

It would also be cool if we could get more authentic combinations of sails set. I don't know haw to fix that either, but I am capeable and willing to provide information regarding that.
example of sails:
USS_Constitution_1997.jpg

of fore and aft sails properly set:
DSCN1017.jpg

note: our main trys'l (spanker) can be set even closer to the trim of the sqaresl's if the wind is right. The one in the picture is the fore trys'l.

This is a known issue and work is being done to correct it as we speak. I have been working on the spankers and lateens in POTC for months after Armada showed me how to do it. The Boussole is my latest victim. All of my work is in my folder in the FTP. If you want to adapt it to COAS, go for it.

As for more sail combinations, I am for that also.

This is a known issue and work is being done to correct it as we speak. I have been working on the spankers and lateens in POTC for months after Armada showed me how to do it. The Boussole is my latest victim. All of my work is in my folder in the FTP. If you want to adapt it to COAS, go for it.

As for more sail combinations, I am for that also.

Victim?... That looks amazing. I appreciate your work, and hopefully it will be adapted for CoAS some day. I can't do it since I have almost no modding experience.

I don't know enough about COAS to say for sure, but if a ship is already in both games and I have fixed it in POTC, then it might be a case of copying the masts and sails over to COAS. Nothing more.

As long as the gm files haven't been renamed then they can be dropped into the ship folder and overwrite the original ones and that's it all done. I kept meaning to go and look so I could make sure we have all your work bud, something to do for the next patch.:yes

A lot of the ships also have new ropes attached to the hull so it might be better to just move the whole ship over. Also, the sails often behave differently in COAS than they do in POTC so some fine tuning might be needed after a ship is moved over. But that is easily done. Ships can be modeled much better in COAS anyway, so I will be tinkering with many ships once I get settled in.

Back