• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Fixing the Build Mod Ships

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it was the best place I could find to to mention a few issues that recently came to my attention when looking at the ship class system.

• Galeon1 has two cannon locators too many (has 38 guns but 40 locators), can be fixed in TOOL.
  • Galeon2 has two cannon locators too FEW (has 38 guns but 36 locators), can be fixed in TOOL by adding locators to the path (hull cannot be read).
  • FR_SoleilRoyal is much stronger than more modern 1st Rates (9,000 HP more than Endeavour!), and has a much higher capacity. This needs to be changed!
  • SP_SanFelipe may also be too strong compared to more modern 1st Rates.
  • EdinburghTrader and HMS_Bounty need to have their in-game name changed. "Trade Brig" is not accurate, as has been mentioned before.
  • The Dinghy and Tartane have too many crew! How can ten men fit onto those tiny things? xD
I thought it would be worth addressing these before the next patch.

Would be good to get those sorted. Who is up for doing it and posting the file here for inclusion in the next update?

It looks like most of those items can be done in one day. IF I remember I could do them after I take care of other projects. :checklist

And for the first time in a looong time, here is a ship improvement from ME! When you use the Cutter2, the 1st person camera is so low that you can't really see over the side.
Doesn't really help when you're trying to use your spyglass. You could only use it from the stern and then the main mast is in the way.
So I moved the camera up quite substantially. See attached. Extract to RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships . Does anyone think this is too high?

She is currently also still the Jack Sparrow storyline starting ship! Do we still think she's good enough for that?
Or would we have another charming, small English boatey to use instead?

Attachments

• CutterCamera.zip
    129.8 KB · Views: 134
How high is the camera in relation to the crew? I try to set it so that you are as tall or slightly taller than the crew.

The camera is now quite a bit taller than the crew. But the crew can't see over the side there either. Anyway, give it a try and see what you think.
We can adjust it further, but for gameplay purposes, I DO want to be able to comfortable use my spyglass. :wp

It seems there are some ships that have cargo hold that aren't big enough for a single Auto Buy.
I noticed this on the Cutter2 and Talisman reported it on the Wicked Wench too. Did anyone else notice this anywhere?
Could we fix this?

Otherwise any Auto Buy actions or quest GiveShip2Character use will not supply those ships with enough gunpowder. :facepalm

Button in the traders' Cargo interface? It automatically buys Rations, Rum and ammunition as per these values:
Code:
// Store goods merchant AUTO BUY settings
// For each ammo type, the button will buy this many rounds per cannon
#define BALLS_PER                    15.0        // FLOAT - suggested balls_per: 15.0
#define GRAPE_PER                    15.0        // FLOAT - suggested grape_per: 15.0
#define CHAIN_PER                    15.0        // FLOAT - suggested chain_per: 15.0
#define BOMBS_PER                    0.0            // FLOAT - suggested bombs_per: 15.0
#define POWDER_PER                    0.6667        // FLOAT - enough cannon powder to fire this fraction of your ammo

// For sail and plank, the button will buy this many units of sail / plank per point of hull HP of the ship
#define SAIL_PER                    0.01        // FLOAT - suggested sail_per: 0.01
#define PLANKS_PER                    0.02        // FLOAT - suggested sail_per: 0.02

// For wheat and rum, the button will buy this many days' worth of wheat, or rum, for your current crew size.
// Note that this is for /double/ rum rations; so normally set this to half the number of days' worth of rum.
#define WHEAT_DAYS                    30.0        // FLOAT - suggested wheat_per: 30.0
#define RUM_DAYS                    15.0        // FLOAT - suggested rum_per: 15.0, 30 days at normal rum rations.
So basically, you'll get enough for 30 days with a single button press.
So that means less time in the menu, more time in the game. I use it all the time. :shrug

The same code is used to re-supply ships with the GiveShip2Character function..

That? Loads the holds with useless junk leaving no room for important stuff. Never use it.

The same code is used to re-supply ships with the GiveShip2Character function..

That doesn't give you much gunpowder, mind. I have often found that when using ships I have given to myself via console, I run out of powder in the first battle I encounter.
Unless this has been fixed recently. :read

That? Loads the holds with useless junk leaving no room for important stuff. Never use it.
That's why you can tweak it with that code I posted above from InternalSettings.h .
What would you consider "useless junk"?

That doesn't give you much gunpowder, mind. I have often found that when using ships I have given to myself via console, I run out of powder in the first battle I encounter.
Unless this has been fixed recently. :read
Could that be due to the code that only loads powder for 2/3 of your ammunition to be fired?

Could that be due to the code that only loads powder for 2/3 of your ammunition to be fired?

Could the size ( calibre ) of the guns a ship has also be affecting this ? With heavy cannon requiring more powder.

If the cargo hold capacity is not big enough to hold all the cargo to be loaded by Auto Buy actions or quest GiveShip2Character use then which item's quantities are reduced to make the total cargo loaded equal the cargo hold capacity.

The ship I had problems with was the Black Pearl - when Davy Jones gives it to the player.

:checklist

Ah, probably. I didn't notice that.

About the "useless junk", do you think we should reduce the amount of food and rum given with Auto Buy?
Last time I used it, I was given significantly more of both than I usually buy manually. Maybe something closer to 20 days' worth would be better?

Useless junk includes grapes and knippels. Never use'em. I also never take sailcloth and planks until well into the game when I have several large ships. In fact early on I often dump cannons too. Useless junk.

Heh. One man's trash, I suppose. I almost exclusively use grapes and knippels. Don't want to damage the prizes too badly. :wp

Could the size ( calibre ) of the guns a ship has also be affecting this ? With heavy cannon requiring more powder.
It would do. Turns out that the Auto Buy code used by GiveShip2Character wasn't written right.
POWDER_PER wasn't used at all and for some reason it took the crew quantity into account. No clue why though. :confused:

Anyway, I fixed that now and the Wicked Wench is now supplied correctly.
The cursed Black Pearl would go nuts on the planks and sails purchase though because of her ridiculous ship HP.
I don't think that can really be helped though.

However, the Cutter2 still doesn't have a big enough cargo hold, so you do get sailcloth, but no planks.
And why is gunpowder 20cwt? The cannons on the Cutter2 use 6 units of them per shot. That is 120cwt per cannon.
Does that not seem excessive? If we'd reduce the weight of the cannonpowder, more space would be left in the cargo hold.

Useless junk includes grapes and knippels. Never use'em. I also never take sailcloth and planks until well into the game when I have several large ships. In fact early on I often dump cannons too. Useless junk.
Fair enough, but that's personal preference. Just change those InternalSettings.h values to your liking and then you CAN use it.

Back