• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Flag Locators Repair Project

I'm depressed. This install I'm using now is much worse than the lab rat install I was using. Ships that I worked on and called good before are giving GA again. :modding But those fixed Luggers are working! If nothing else, everyone should get those.

I wuz one decimal point to the right on the F1 locator on the Y axis. The buildings look pretty good tho.

I found an error with one pennant locator on one light fluyt. I was one decimal point off.
Is that meant to be a flag?! Looks more like a badly textured tornado to me! That's one for the gag reel. xD:

I'm depressed. This install I'm using now is much worse than the lab rat install I was using. Ships that I worked on and called good before are giving GA again. :modding
That's slightly worrying. What's your current install, compared to your lab rat one before it? :?

i haven't seen any GA myself so far, and that's including a dismastment of a naval topsail schooner. the 7th patch is a pretty nice improvement i have to say. i do have the stock skies though.

The lab rat is a straight patch 6 install with only a few small additions like the bump.zap and different music. It is non-functional at the moment because I changed something-that-I-forget-the-name-of from 64 to 128. I should change that back and do the directenc thing and start playing it again.

This one is a straight patch 7-2 WIP with all of the latest gizmos added. I also transferred my "ships" and "shipsinit.c" over from the lab rat to keep the updated ships. I played it as a p6 install just to see how it runs, and it had bad GA right out of the box. Like someone else once said, this game is a "goddammed snowflake". Every install is different.

What? Can't you tell? That's an English flag!

Morgan Terror: How about a Cutter? Or a Snow Brig? Or.........crickey, almost any of the class 7 & 6 ships.

You're sure the ships_init.c and your full ships models folder are the same as your install that doesn't have all that GA?
That's really weird, because I didn't touch anything related to flags at all.
Of course most of your GA fixes didn't make it into my patch files yet, but if you fixed that afterwards, that should help. :facepalm

i'm just looking through the ships as i go along, really. can the new skybox be included in the next patch though? i still have the old one.

the skies have been updated with those from AOP, unless i'm mistaken. somehow it didn't make it into some people's games, while it did for others.

Is that meant to be a flag?! Looks more like a badly textured tornado to me! That's one for the gag reel. xD:
What? Can't you tell? That's an English flag!
I was joking, of course. I know a Blue Ensign when I see one. :rolleyes:

That snowflake analogy about the Build installations is very good. Unfortunate, because it's true, but good.
Then again, it's mostly down to the vast range of different PC specs that doesn't help with making 'working' installs.
But when installing on the same PC multiple times, and getting different results... that really does my head in. :modding

no, they're supposed to be in it. that's very different. i think it's because i installed the mod in bits and pieces. the full beta 1 does have the skies, but if you've been constantly patching it like me, you don't. at least that's what i think.

Could have happened, I suppose. Do get the Build 14 Beta 1 Full installer if you can. Or Beta 2 once that's done.

I MIGHT have found one of the things causing GA. I got in a battle where all ships lost at least one mast and there was a lot of GA, mostly centered around the ship I was sailing, a Scipion class 74 gun 3rd rate. (FR_SuperiorWarship2)

While messing with rigging it was noticed that the flags and pennants were all the same dimensions. That was changed, making the flags more square and the pennants more long and thin. Got into another battle and the GA was pretty mild. Other than adding a few ropes nothing else was done to this ship. :p3

Another interesting point is that this ship has the stern flagpole built into the hull like the East Indiaman and yet it is much better centered in my monitor screen. It is a much bigger ship too, so it should be even worse, not better. This needs to be investigated. :hmm

so, the game gets confused on which flag is which on a ship when the flags are all similar?

The size of the ensigns/pennants should have zero relation to any weirdness. :facepalm
(Yes, I do know I used that word "should" again! :whipa )

This is something that I've started changing just for the sake of change after everything else I know how to do still fails. It is an observed thing.

Oh, the flag on fallen masts persists for an extremely long time. Is there any way to make them go away fast?

Morgan: The program has very weak borders between different groups. If there is anything the same in two different groups they will become "attached" to each other.

Oh, the flag on fallen masts persists for an extremely long time. Is there any way to make them go away fast?

I'd thought something along those lines a number of times when getting GA during a battle with ships sinking, then once 'fully sunk'(as in they dissapear from the sea bottom) the GA stops. Flags, ropes, masts - it could be many things when in that 'not quite dead' state? A quick cleanup routine on the flags would be a nice place to start.

Yes. The flags persist floating in the air long after the ship is completely gone. I also get increased GA while a ship is sinking. I've watched a fallen mast sink to the bottom and it keeps right on going until it is gone, except for the flag. It lays an the bottom waving, unless it suddenly rises up into the air again to wave there.

I MIGHT have found one of the things causing GA. I got in a battle where all ships lost at least one mast and there was a lot of GA, mostly centered around the ship I was sailing, a Scipion class 74 gun 3rd rate. (FR_SuperiorWarship2)

While messing with rigging it was noticed that the flags and pennants were all the same dimensions. That was changed, making the flags more square and the pennants more long and thin. Got into another battle and the GA was pretty mild. Other than adding a few ropes nothing else was done to this ship. :p3

Another interesting point is that this ship has the stern flagpole built into the hull like the East Indiaman and yet it is much better centered in my monitor screen. It is a much bigger ship too, so it should be even worse, not better. This needs to be investigated. :hmm
Funnily enough, that's one of the ships I'm looking at improving, based on RN_Warship.
I've already removed the flagpole and am also adjusting a few details (cannons etc), and I'll release that when it's done.
Eventually the plan is to have RN_Warship and FR_SuperiorWarship2 use the same hull and rigging, with the textures and figureheads etc being the only differences.

Just guessing here, but I'd say that it's the short height of the flagpole combined with the long hull which causes the camera to centre fairly well.
The WarGalleons are shorter and have taller flagpoles, so it makes sense in a way. :shrug

Back