• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Flags: Additional Personal and Pirate Flags

You could use it as a replacement personal flag if you like, since that's Sir Francis Drake's own coat of arms. Then just have him use a black flag for pirating. (Or use the white flag with red wyvern as his pirate flag, which is even less piratey than this one but has the advantage that it was sort of pirated. :rpirate)

I think it makes the most sense to have your black one for his pirate flag.
A white pirate flag....? Hmm.... not entirely sold on that one! :razz

@Talisman. Here's another line of pirate flags. The following have changed place or are new:

Row 2 flag 7: Animist
Row 3 flag 6: plain red, flag 7: Brave Black Flag
Row 4 flag 7: Roxanne
Row 5 flag 1: Edward Low, flag 2: Barbary Corsairs, flag 3: Ammand, flag 4: Sumbjahee, flag 5: Sao Feng,
flag 6: Miss Ching, flag 7: Milady

Attachments

• another line of pirate flags.jpg
    another line of pirate flags.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 203
Very nice, @Jack Rackham! :woot

I do have some slight comments though:
- Looks like there has been a mix-up with Roxanne's flag. This is the one you need: http://www.piratesahoy.net/attachments/roxanne-jpg.22134/
- Now that I see @Grey Roger's Milady pirate flag together with the other ones, it does stand out in its redness; any chance of toning that down a bit to match with the others?
EDIT: @Grey Roger did it already and posted the file below.
- Is it possible to apply an extra alpha map to Sao Feng's pirate flag so that it always displays as a pennant?
- @Grey Roger just posted a pirate flag for Francis Drake here: WIP - Assigning Specific Pirate and Personal Flags to to NPCs | PiratesAhoy!
To make space on this line, as far as I'm concerned, you can drop Mistress Ching's one for now as she isn't in the game anyway.

Thanks a lot for doing this! :bow

Last edited:
I moved a bunch of posts to this thread as this is the one about actually adding new flags into the game.

Maybe we've got a bit too many threads on similar subjects though.
We have one for Adding new flags, we've got one for Reassigning existing ones to specific characters and a third for a Wiki page on flags.
Just to make things simple! :rofl

You want a dull Milady? Very well...

milady_pirate2.jpg

What's the flag at the end of row 4? It looks like three yellow fleurs-de-lys on a blue background, which is the French naval flag in the "Early Explorers" period.

Attachments

• milady_pirate2.tga.tx.zip
    95 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
You want a dull Milady? Very well...
Thanks! Probably does fit in better with the rest.
Though we could also keep it bright and claim that, because it is a flag for a lady, she wants it to stand out! :rofl

What's the flag at the end of row 4? It looks like three yellow fleurs-de-lys on a blue background, which is the French naval flag in the "Early Explorers" period.
See my post above. Meant to be Roxanne's flag, but it looks like there was a mistake.
@Bartolomeu o Portugues did suggest that one at some point, but he came up with a different and better idea later.

I don't think that was planned as Roxanne's pirate flag, though I could be wrong. Wasn't that a proposal for her personal flag? This was the personal flag I drew up for her after a suggestion by @Bartolomeu o Portugues:
roxanne2.jpg

And this was always supposed to be Roxanne's pirate flag:
roxanne.jpg

I don't think that was planned as Roxanne's pirate flag, though I could be wrong.
Yep, you're right; that one was suggested as her personal one, not her pirate one.
Doesn't really matter either way; your two ones there should be the correct ones. :yes

Time for some fun with alpha maps. This is either going to look awesome or awful...
saofeng.jpg

Attachments

• saofeng.tga.tx.zip
    53.7 KB · Views: 165
Ok I'll fix that.

I had in mind continuing with the Ammand character model and found that I have
thrown it away at some point. :shock
Have to start all over again. That bl**dy turban took hours to get right. :modding

Not if I've got the alpha map right. The saw-tooth edge of the pennant, on the other hand, should be visible.

Sorry to say but the alpha mapping didn't work. Or couldn't I just copy that texture in?

Attachments

• Sao Feng.jpg
    Sao Feng.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 178
You do need to add in the alpha channel as well.
Have you ever played around with that before?
If not, perhaps you can post your full line of texture files and @Grey Roger can add it with the alpha map.

It should be possible to get working, because that is how the pennants are pointed too.

OK. The files that need alpha mapping are:
piflg5, pirpnt5 and Flag_Pirate44.
And with that I leave the flags for other missions.

Attachments

• JRH pirate flags 15-10-20.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
No sign of my Animist pirate flag? If it's a choice between that and the Drake pirate flag, I'd rather include the Animist one. The Wikipedia article only mentions that Drake may have flown a black flag, so he can use the basic black flag. The Animists, being involved in a major side quest, really need something more distinctive, especially since their current flag is the same as Johan Elting's pirate flag. (Besides, it took more work drawing up the Animist pirate flag than Drake's, so that's the one I'd like to see in the game. :D)

@Jack Rackham: does whatever you use to edit the flag files allow you to edit alpha channels? Because not only will Sao Feng's main flag look wrong, so will his pennant, and so will Drake's. All the pennants have been given the standard twin-tail alpha map, but Sao Feng's needs the same sort of saw-tooth as the main flag, while Drake's pennant has three tails, not two.

Meanwhile, here's "Flag_Pirate44.tga.tx" with a revised alpha map.

Attachments

• Flag_Pirate44.tga.tx.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
No sign of my Animist pirate flag? If it's a choice between that and the Drake pirate flag, I'd rather include the Animist one. The Wikipedia article only mentions that Drake may have flown a black flag, so he can use the basic black flag. The Animists, being involved in a major side quest, really need something more distinctive, especially since their current flag is the same as Johan Elting's pirate flag. (Besides, it took more work drawing up the Animist pirate flag than Drake's, so that's the one I'd like to see in the game. :D)
I thought @Jack Rackham DID include that:
upload_2015-10-20_12-30-14.png

Of course I haven't been able to check the file that he uploaded yet....

Back