• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Flags: Assigning Specific Pirate and Personal Flags to to NPCs

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Some extra thoughts on Pirate flags (I'm currently doing a bit of (re)assinging for various Free Play characters):
- Laurens de Graaf's pirate flag? Doesn't quite look historically accurate, but it is still nice to give him something different.
- @Grey Roger: Have you got any clue what pirate flag Francis Drake should be using?
- Most Naval Officers get a plain black flag by default; they're not supposed to be pirates anyway, so I'm assuming they don't have a special design ;)
- Several Pirate starting characters get the "Sea Dogs Libertaria" flag as personal one (since they're not supposed to be personal anyway)
- If anyone has any wish to see PotC's Blackbeard flag in the game, I WILL BOYCOTT IT! That thing is stupid!!! :razz
- I'm assigning one of those Barbary pirate flags to Sao Feng; not entirely appropriate, but at least more special than a "generic pirate flag"

I made some code you can run through console to convert a SelectStoryline/initModels "flag" number into the type needed for the character init files:
Code:
pchar.Flags.Pirate = 22;
pchar.Flags.Personal = 15;

int pirateflagtex = makeint(stf(pchar.Flags.Pirate) % makefloat(FLAGS_PICTURES_QUANTITY_PER_TEXTURE));
int pirateflagidx = sti(pchar.Flags.Pirate) - (pirateflagtex * makeint(FLAGS_PICTURES_QUANTITY_PER_TEXTURE));
int personalflagtex = makeint(stf(pchar.Flags.Personal) % makefloat(FLAGS_PICTURES_QUANTITY_PER_TEXTURE));
int personalflagidx = sti(pchar.Flags.Personal) - (personalflagtex * makeint(FLAGS_PICTURES_QUANTITY_PER_TEXTURE));

Trace("--------------------------------------------------");
Trace("ch.Flags.Pirate = " + pirateflagidx + ";")
Trace("ch.Flags.Pirate.texture = " + pirateflagtex + ";")
Trace("ch.Flags.Personal = " + personalflagidx + ";")
Trace("ch.Flags.Personal.texture = " + personalflagtex + ";")
Just change those two two lines to the one you want, execute it and you'll get copy-pastable code written to compile.log .

So far, I have used that to make the following "templates":
Code:
----------EITC CHARACTER--------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 2;
ch.Flags.Pirate.texture = 3;
ch.Flags.Personal = 3;
ch.Flags.Personal.texture = 3;

---------JAMES NORRINGTON------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 2;
ch.Flags.Personal = 5;
ch.Flags.Personal.texture = 2;

--------BARBOSSA--------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 0;
ch.Flags.Pirate.texture = 0;
ch.Flags.Personal = 2;
ch.Flags.Personal.texture = 0;

---------BLACKBEARD---------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 5;
ch.Flags.Personal = 2;

--------DANIELLE GREENE----------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 0;
ch.Flags.Personal = 5;

--------SAO FENG--------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 4;
ch.Flags.Pirate.texture = 4;
ch.Flags.Personal = 1;

--------WILL TURNER---------------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 1;
ch.Flags.Personal = 1;

-------BARTHOLOMEW ROBERTS--------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 0;
ch.Flags.Pirate.texture = 2;

--------JACK RACKHAM--------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 0;

--------PIETER BOELEN--------------------
ch.Flags.Personal = 2;
ch.Flags.Personal.texture = 1;

---------DAVY JONES----------------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 1;
ch.Flags.Personal = 1;

-----------SRI SUMBHAJEE--------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 3;

---------AMMAND THE CORSAIR------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 2;

----------ANIMISTS---------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 6;
ch.Flags.Pirate.texture = 1;

----------ROXANNE-----------------------
ch.Flags.Pirate = 6;
Can anyone think of any other NPC characters who should have specific custom personal/pirate flags assigned?

Last edited:
Yes, in my new line of pirate flags there will be the ones for Sumbjahee, Ammand, Sao Feng and Miss Ching.

Yes, in my new line of pirate flags there will be the ones for Sumbjahee, Ammand, Sao Feng and Miss Ching.
:dance :dance :dance

What flag does Mistress Ching use?
Anyway, she isn't currently in the game, so you don't really need to make one for her.
And Sumbhajee and Ammand never get to command a ship in the story, so you could skip them if you like.
(I'm thinking of the "last spot in the row being locked" thing; there are only a limited number of "last spots". :facepalm )

Also GreyRogers Milady and Animists and Bartoloemeu's Roxannes pirate flags.
I wonder there's also a personal Milady's flag. We have to put that one somewhere too.

Milady's personal flag is already in place and in use.
No need to do anything extra for that. ;)

(I'm thinking of the "last spot in the row being locked" thing; there are only a limited number of "last spots". :facepalm )

Just add another 1 to your workround and you can lockout the last two - or add one number in the row count prior to that and (back to as before) knock out a whole row - It's completely customisable - we just have to know what is required.

Just add another 1 to your workround and you can lockout the last two - or add one number in the row count prior to that and (back to as before) knock out a whole row - It's completely customisable - we just have to know what is required.
Perfectly true. :onya

Some extra thoughts on Pirate flags (I'm currently doing a bit of (re)assinging for various Free Play characters):
- Laurens de Graaf's pirate flag? Doesn't quite look historically accurate, but it is still nice to give him something different.
- @Grey Roger: Have you got any clue what pirate flag Francis Drake should be using?
From the Wikipedia article on the Jolly Roger:
The first recorded uses of the skull-and-crossbones symbol on naval flags date to the 17th century. It possibly originated among the Barbary pirates of the period, which would connect the black colour of the Jolly Roger to the Muslim black flag. But an early reference to Muslim corsairs flying a skull symbol, in the context of a 1625 slave raid on Cornwall, explicitly refers to the symbol being shown on a green flag. There are mentions of Francis Drake flying a black flag as early as 1585, but the historicity of this tradition has been called into question.
Which means Francis Drake's pirate flag, if any, would be the plain black one; and traditional skull and crossbones flags shouldn't appear in "Early Explorers" at all. If you want something a bit more unique for Drake, perhaps something based on his coat of arms, which at least has the advantage of being white on a black background:

It is ironic though that this is Francis Drake's legal coat of arms, whereas the red dragon on white which we're using as his personal flag was borrowed without permission from the family of Drake of Ash. The head of that family, Sir Bernard Drake, took violent exception to Francis Drake's use of his arms and gave Francis a "box in the ear" at court.

Last edited:
Roxanne's flags are already included, right?
@Jack Rackham is taking care of adding your pirate flag for her, but he didn't post it yet.

...traditional skull and crossbones flags shouldn't appear in "Early Explorers" at all.
Are there any other period-correctness things to consider with pirate flags?
We could have only the first row of pirate flags used in Early Explorers, but then of course all the flags would need to be jumbled up again....
And then the question is which pirate flags can and can't be used by when and by whom.

Wait until I've uploaded this new set of pirate flags before eventually moving them around.
No problem; one thing at a time.

We'll have to think through how best to handle it if we do decide to change it further.
And to do that, we'll need to know which flags we've actually got. So indeed best to wait for now. :doff

I just spent some time reassigning all @Jack Rackham's and @Grey Roger's pirate flags to their appropriate characters.
So in the next update, the Animists should have a custom flag flying from their stern.
And of course all the PotC characters get their own flags as well; even if most of them don't get a ship. :cheeky

Back