- ModDB profile

3. GOF: Eras

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - TheBlackKnight's Mods and Guides
    - ModDB Profile

4. Ahoy
    New to the forum?
    Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Flannery's Music

Discussion in 'Music and Sounds' started by Flannery, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Flannery

Flannery HoO Team Member Music and SFX

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    *** THIS POST WILL BE UPDATED WITH THE LATEST VERSIONS OF THE WORK IN PROGRESS AND THE FINISHED PIECES
    - A REPLY WILL BE MADE BY ME IF I CHANGE ANYTHING OR ADD ANYTHING TO THIS POST ***

Greetings all!

I figured it was time to tidy up this a little as there is more work incoming, and making it easy to access it all without having to trawl the thread is quite necessary :cool:

So! here is the tidied up thread - with categories, marked if they are sketches or finished work.

THEME SUGGESTIONS:
    - Hearts Of Oak (finished)
    - Post Captain's Lullaby (finished - rough mix)

ATMOSPHERIC PIECES: (background/menu/calm seas/nighttime)
    - Susanne's Lullaby (sketch)
    - Land Of Hope (sketch)

TAVERN PIECES: (may be used for towns and below deck as well)
    - Rum Bonfire (sketch - people noise is just for effect, and will not stay)

CHASE/BATTLE PREPARATIONS PIECES:
    - Hoist The Flags! (sketch)

BATTLE THEMES:
    - Mano Y Mano (part 2) (sketch - the piece will have other arrangements)

VIDEO SPOT INTRO/OUTRO PIECES:
    - Hearts Of Oak Intro (soft start - 22 sec) aim: HoO-intro1-HoO
    - Post Captain's Lullaby (intro - 12 sec) aim: HoO-Intro2-PCL
    - Post Captain's Lullaby (outro - 20 sec) aim: HoO-Outro2-PCL

RELEASED TEASER/DEVELOPMENT VIDEOS:
    "Old" Hearts Of Oak development teaser (released oct. 9th - 2013)

To give you all a estimate of the amount of music I have planned to add to the game:

- Intro/Main theme: 1 - aprox 2-3 mins long
    - General background music: between 10-15 pieces - aprox 2-5 mins each (atmospheric)
    - Preparing for Battle/Chase Music: 1-3 pieces - aprox 2-3 mins (or longer looped)
    - Battle music: 1-3 pieces - aprox 2-3 mins (or longer looped)
    - Town music/Tavern/below deck music: 4-6 pieces - 2-5 mins each
    - Menu music: at least 3 pieces. Can also just have the general music from the whole of the game go on rotation - but should mainly consist of calm or merry music. Not the battle music

On top of this comes things like music that is correct for the different nationalities if we are still thinking about that for each harbor you land on.

So again... this is to give you a overall picture of what this really means.

"Life Is Feudal" sneak peeks.
    Some of the music I made for a Medieval Sandbox MMORPG called "Life Is Feudal" - just to give you other examples of some similar music
    I am creating for Hearts Of Oak when it comes to the more "folk'ish" tunes and some of the atmospheric pieces.
    NB!! Cannot be used in any way for HoOCotS!
    - Life Is Feudal (theme)
    - Spring Song (tavern music - depicting new wildlife dancing and playing on unsteady feet)
    - A New Dawn (atmospheric - depicting a sunrise)
    - The March Home (battle preparations/formations piece) INTRO IS FADED IN

COPYRIGHTS
    All of the above creations are the property of D'laymusic - Norway, and Christian "Flannery" Tornholm-Lehn
    - and are protected under copyright law, and if violated might lead to legal persecutions!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Flannery

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    Removed old post regarding error to the original upload - Now a newer version of the music piece is there for streaming.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Flannery

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    Removed old post regarding error to the original upload - Now a newer version of the music piece is there for streaming.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. Hylie Pistof

Hylie Pistof Curmudgeon Staff Member Admin Creative Support Storm Modder

I wouldn't mind listening to this while sailing the oceans blue.
    Flannery likes this.
  5. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Corsair Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

I like it! I could definitely see myself sailing along to this. :keith Very much a song to set and cruise along the coast of an island to. I think it might be best to have different songs for different settings, rather than fitting it all in one, as impressive as that would be. Even with more punch and splashes I wouldn't say it's a great fit as a battle song because it doesn't seem fast paced enough, but perhaps i am wrong on that. as it is right now, it'd be great for sailing around! Nice work!:)
    Flannery likes this.
  6. Flannery

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    Thank you both for your feedback :)

I definitely am thinking of this piece as a standard (if used) for more "background atmospheres" Playing with some of the themes in various "environments" and so on. Very much so that you as the player discover a familiar theme appearing in a totally different setting - with different paste(speeds) and moods - recognizing it from time to time reappearing in the different pieces. Some for drama, some for splendor, some for emotional purposes and so on.
    And parts of it (or the whole piece as one) can also work as the background music when in the options menu and start menu.

This is why I am writing this more or less as a large piece, so that we can "chop" it up to suit different purposes.

Not including the more mundane stuff off course - as I truly believe in keeping the Tavern music, and sudden outbursts of shanties and so on on board the ship or the odd bypasser simple and "live" like. (much like Post Captain thinks of and likes ;) )
    Captain Armstrong likes this.
  7. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Admin Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

I had to listen to that track twice - I enjoyed it that much. It's a unique and beautiful piece. Really nice work! :doff
    I could definitely imagine the finalised version being used in game situations, menus and so on, and especially in promotional videos for the game.

Hmm... two people are notable by their silence on this one. Pieter! Post Captain! What do you think of Flannery's work?
    Flannery likes this.
  8. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen Navigation Officer Staff Member Admin Project Manager Storm Modder

Navigation Officer
    It is pretty darn good! However, my favourite music is film music, especially that written by John Williams plus John Debney's Cutthroat Island.
    So it is very difficulty for me to leave that out of it, because any comparisons wouldn't even remotely be fair.
    Therefore I figured it might be best for me to stay altogether silent.

In any case, the sound reminds me of the BBC "Blackbeard" documentary and Guy-Roger Duvert's "Pirates" music.
    So that means it definitely has a tone of "historical accuracy" to it. Brings to mind images of ships sailing at sea for certain! :cheers
    Flannery and Captain Armstrong like this.
  9. Flannery

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    Then I think I will be safe to continue the work on it - and present a more final version in a few weeks for you to listen to ;)
    I am allready well away on futher developement on it, and will be adding simple choir work and drums/percussion on it as well next week.

I might also have some of the other shanties and tunes ready enough for a sneak peek for comments as well in the same timeframe;)

Thank you all for the feedback!
    Captain Armstrong likes this.
  10. Armada

OK, so instead of comparing it to film music, what do you think of it in relation to the PotC/CoAS game music?
    That would be a more relevant comparison anyhow, since film music isn't always the right type for a game (unless you count the likes of Hans Zimmer writing music for Call of Duty :p).

Rather than thinking "does this sound historically accurate?", I prefer to think "does this sound right?" And that's what I think this track does; it evokes the right kind of atmosphere, in my mind.
    That's not to say sea shanties and period music wouldn't do the same, of course. In the right places, I'm sure they would.
  11. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen Navigation Officer Staff Member Admin Project Manager Storm Modder

Navigation Officer
    Well, the PotC BATTLE music is really good in my book, but the other music in that game.... not so much.
    Sea Dogs and AoP have better music, I reckon, which is why we've added a lot of that to the PotC Build Mod.
    This track, to me, sounds less "seafaring adventure" than the Sea Dogs and AoP music and more "historical" to me.
    But I think that was the aim of most people here anyway, was it not?

I'd say "Lair" is the best score John Debney wrote apart from Cutthroat Island. And that was for a game too.
    For me, I see little difference in the music need between a good film and a good game. Depends on the game though.
    There is also, for example, the music to Napoleon: Total War. That was deliberately written to feel historically accurate.
    Or close to it anyway; none of that swashbuckling stuff in there. This music gives me the same idea.
  12. Flannery

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    From reading your post, Pieter - I think you can look forward to hearing the 4/4 parts to this piece which is of a MUCH more "battle" or "chase" feel than this sneakpeek - which is more like a, intro piece or menu piece - or open sea sailing piece. Even "Trailer" piece in many ways - as also Armada pointed out :)

And also if you listen to PotC stock music and the music from Cutthroat Island, you immediately acknowledge (at least from a musicians point of view) how much of the bombastic and dramatic feel of it is created by the percussion and drums - which is also lacking in this sneak peek ;)

It is important to me that atmospheric music to be used to bring out different emotions during specific elements of the game, also depicts something from what the players are experiencing at that exact moment.

As this part here from the bigger piece is in 3/4 count (waltz if you like) and the rolling themes that underlies the majority of the piece is to resemble the rolling of waves, as this is the basic part of being on a voyage/adventure sail. The other elements of melodies depict different scenes on board for example - cleaning the decks, scouting the horizons, the feel of the time of day (sunset, dawn and so on) - and seeing land or strange sails appear on the horizons.

Storms and such would have far more dramatic elements, depicting waves, winds and thunder - with instruments of course.

As also battle would be much more resembled with the roaring thunder of drums, again depicting the guns, the feel of explosions, wood breaking and so on.

I know you know all of this of course, but just wanted to point out that thought is put behind most of these things for a reason - hence also (as you said) there are not always much difference in creating music for a game than a film. Though musicians making stuff for a game are (luckily) not quite as bound by the time restrictions as film music is from having to fit clips a and so on.
    Armada and Pieter Boelen like this.
  13. Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
    Sounds like you know perfectly well what you're doing! :cheers
  14. Killerjoy96

Killerjoy96 Freebooter

Sounds really awesome this one. Great for sailing and menu. however for me I doesn't feel like music to use in a Trailer atm. A trailer always needs to grab you into the game and want to play it immediately. If you would use the music like it is now for a trailer than there should be a slow-paced trailer. Which isn't really the way to go for me. I really like the announcement trailer of AC IV: Black Flag btw. The sound and feel of it is just awesome and it all comes together in one beatiful masterpiece.
  15. Flannery

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    No
    Hey and thank you for your feedback :)

Just to be clear, this is a sketch and would not be used in its current form for anything ;) (other than a peek for you all on here.. Hehe :) )

It is also just a smaller part of a larger piece which will be presented later on.

When (or if) the time comes for using any of it for something special, like for example a trailer - it will be specially adjusted for that purpose ;)

You can look at this small piece very much the same way as you would look at a screenshot or small video from alpha testing of a game. You get a sense and feel for what will come, but the final and polished work will always be allot better and also very different as it will contain allot more detalj.

Parts of this piece might not even make it into the final version - this is merely a showcase to make sure the feel of the style is correct in general - so I do not waste time on it if it is not. What piece can be used for what is rather unimportant right now in the process ;)
  16. Killerjoy96

Killerjoy96 Freebooter

Well you truly captured the style of how I imagine how it would sound so great job so far. And keep it up.
  17. Luffy

Luffy Pirate King Creative Support News Gatherer

Promotional Artist.
    Bondi Junction, New South Wales, Australia
    Sound's Amazing Man , Keep Up The Great Work!
  18. LikeAnEagle

LikeAnEagle Lie-Smith Quest Writer Creative Support Music and SFX

Excellent stuff; I can really imagine sailing those rendered oceans with this theme playing in the background. Very atmospheric!
  19. Flannery

CEO at D'laymusic Norway
    Hello all!

I have now updated the original post with a newer version for you to listen to WITH DRUMS ;)

There are some smaller changes there as well, and the piece is somewhat longer.
    Due to a bigger workload lately I have not yet been able to finish the next part of this piece (the 4/4 piece I was talking to Pieter about) - And the Shanties are not done enough for me to want to post them for you quite yet.

I will be testing out some smaller changes to this piece here (the part one as I call it myself) - but as it is now it is to be regarded as approx 90% finished. (The final mixing and mastering will also have to be done of course)
    I am testing out a few violins and some other flutes next week - to see if they work better. But other than that I do not see any major changes coming for this one.

I am almost done enough with the 4/4 piece to dare to put it up here for comments. Will let you know when the time comes ;)

For now I hope you enjoy the "Hearts Of Oak - pt. 1 (v1.1)"

Salutations and fair winds to you all!

Captain Flannery
  20. Armada

What can I say? This track still puts a smile on my face. :D
    I really like what you're doing with it; the drums certainly make it sound more dramatic at times, and the track feels more complete overall.
    So that's a double thumbs up from me. :thumbs1

Looking forward to hearing your 4/4 piece when it's ready!

EDIT: Oh, I also meant to suggest that you could use a slideshow of some of our concept art and renders for your next (or finalised) music video, including the official logo.
    Might as well make it look nice so we could use it as promotional material when it's ready, don't you think?
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Flannery likes this.