• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Flying Dutchman Project: Cursed & Uncursed

Yeah, the uncursed Dutchman references are a big let down. They hardly show her for very long in the film, anyway.
EDIT: Nice concept art you found! That will work nicely for the uncursed version, whether it's accurate or not, I'd say.

For the seaweed hanging off the ship, the existing model already has special planes. If you load it in GM Viewer and press the [5] key, you'll see the model's wireframe, which will show how the seaweed is attached (press [6] to return to normal view). Those planes didn't get into Maya, but I'm sure Bonjourmonami could add them for you while building the model. :)

EDIT2: MK, I already mentioned the Wasa/Dutchman confusion, but I agree it would be amazing to see an accurate Wasa model! It's a beautiful ship, and they're lucky she was preserved so well. Impressive restoration work they did to her, too. Reminds me somewhat of the Mary Rose wreck (which is another model I'd like to see :cheeky).

UMMM, Maybe you should look at that picture of the stern you dug up one more time. :wp

That IS NOT a picture of the Dutchman although it was in reality a Dutch design built by a Dutch shipwright in Sweden. Nor is it a model that someone built. :rofl That pic is of the WASA. It was the flagship of the Swedish fleet and sunk in 1628 on its maiden voyage. It was preserved in harbor silt and raised in 1961. It was carefully restored as much as possible. It sits in a museum in Stockholm and is depicted as such in the picture you have posted. It is the only surviving example of a complete 17th century ship.

As for myself I would love to see a Flying Dutchman modeled off of the WASA. In fact here is another one I would pay for someone to build. I can actually see how you could make this mistake. I have often thought that the Disney designers based the Flying Dutchman off of the WASA.

Anyone interested in this ship should look at these sites: http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_Museum

MK

Yes, Armada already beat you to the punch. ;) BUT the latest one I posted IS the Dutchman.

Here's more shots I found that can be used as reference. These ones show off the details pretty nicely. I can definitely use some of these for texturing purposes. It's crazy how complex the Dutchman is.

5048350585_1b27b8ee26_o.jpg

5048333661_263b2f0331_o.jpg

5048290411_a68e086279_o.jpg

5048255113_681847587c_o.jpg

265127657_e5770be849_b.jpg

Hello ARMADA, LS, BONJOURMONAMI!! :onya :pirates !:onya I`am a big fan of your projects!!!:onya I was waiting this moment for a long time. I`am very proud of you ALL, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!:pirates:cheers I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK & ALSO, WISH YOU TO MAKE THE BEST SHIP MODELS!:onya

Thanks, mate! :doff Nice to have a fan of our work. It's not an easy project for any of us, but when we put our minds to it, we can accomplish anything.

This project will take the 3 of us a while to finish, so don't expect her out any time soon. ;)

Armada, the link for the cannons doesn't seem to work.
Dammit. Seems there's a weird problem with SkyDrive at the moment, so you can't download individual files.
A temporary 'fix' is to go to my folder and tick the relevant file and any other file, and then click on the file you want to download. After that it seems to work normally again. :confused:

Bonjourmonami, I found this concept art of the stern that might help. It's a bit simpler and might be easier to see than the one on the actual ship which is a bit harder to make out.

stern_of_the_flying_dutchman_by_warrioronlydude-d3044e0.jpg

Probably closer to 6 if it goes at the same rate that the Queen Anne's Revenge did. It takes Bonjourmonami a while to get the model just right, and it takes me a while to get the textures right.

Ah, so that's the famous Russian version I've heard about. Just wait till ours is finished, we're gonna make jaws drop. :pirates

I took a few screenshots from the movie to provide some additional reference for the uncursed version. It looks like the stern is very true to that concept art I dug up. There's a lot of gold on the uncursed version.

Fullscreen capture 6172012 72253 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72323 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72354 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72416 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72425 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72514 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72546 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72554 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72602 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 6172012 72839 PM.jpg

Back