• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Flying Dutchman

We can track down his e-mail address quite easily though. Armada, just check his profile: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/user/8769-zarethpl/

@LS: Bonjourmonami sent me the Pearl updates via e-mail. I just haven't found the time to compile them and export them from Maya yet.

EDIT: oh yeah, I forgot to check Zareth's profile. :facepalm
I'd still like to see what BM has to offer first, and if he doesn't want to help out this time, I'll e-mail Zareth.

But if you can't open the Dutchman's GM file, what makes you think Bonjourmonami could?

hey, just a quick question, you guys seriously aren't think of including the LEGO things right, that would make the whole thing unrealistic, quite a few people would be disappointed to go to all that work for the Dutchman and Davy Jones then see some stupid LEGO captain. Just saying, we should focus on making the game grand not silly. We could make the LEGO thing though as a separate download.

EDIT: Also, on the issue of weather the kraken should be tied to simply the ship or the ship and the character model. I think it would be best to simply tie it to the ship to allow for less error. We don't want that kraken feature accidentally leaking to other ships, or then we'd have a REAL problem...

hey, just a quick question, you guys seriously aren't think of including the LEGO things right, that would make the whole thing unrealistic, quite a few people would be disappointed to go to all that work for the Dutchman and Davy Jones then see some stupid LEGO captain. Just saying, we should focus on making the game grand not silly. We could make the LEGO thing though as a separate download.

EDIT: Also, on the issue of weather the kraken should be tied to simply the ship or the ship and the character model. I think it would be best to simply tie it to the ship to allow for less error. We don't want that kraken feature accidentally leaking to other ships, or then we'd have a REAL problem...

The only LEGO thing that is in there is the Sword of Triton icon used for the Queen Anne's Revenge's burst of speed. Pieter only suggested the LEGO Blackbeard icon, but it wasn't used. But none of the ships or characters or objects are LEGO if that's what you're asking.

And the Kraken IS tied only to the Dutchman, and not Davy Jones.

So you expect us all to still be here in two years' time? And to still be innovating? If that's not ambitious, I don't know what is! :shock

Some of us have been here far longer ...never underestimate the power of addiction! ;)

Ah, where's your sense of humour? It was just an icon! :razz
I know, I know, it was a bit over-the-top; but I couldn't reset upon finding that picture, it was just begging for the joke to be made.
The final edition does use the LEGO sword as icon, but you can't instantly tell and it does actually look better as an icon than the adapted photo, which looks more like a gray stick.

Perhaps I've not been clear enough.
I CAN export the GM to OBJ format using GM Viewer, but some of it is corrupted along the way.
The corrupted parts can be deleted, and what I'm left with is most of the hull intact.
However, some of the corrupted parts are tricky to model, with the stern decorations being the worst.
That's why I can rebuild SOME of the ship, but I need a more experienced modeller to finish it off.

The fact that it cannot be read in TOOL only means the locators must be done from scratch upon re-exporting.
It also prevents me from splitting the model into parts of less than 50,000 polygons for a full export to OBJ format, hence the need to remodel part of the ship.
It's essentially the same problem as the Soleil Royal, except there's much more of a hull still intact to work with in OBJ format, so it's easier to fix.

yeah, sorry, maybe I sounded a little more cynical then I meant to sound, plus with all the anti-piracy laws flying around these days, it wouldn't hurt for you to be careful if you use third-party content related to other games. No offense, I just don't use the emoticons often to show how I feel about something.

I've wondered about that from time to time. I think we're ok as long as we don't make money off it. Idk I'm sure Pieter could explain all the legal stuff better than I ever could. He's a genius, that one.

Yeah I'm not typically one for emoticons either, but the PA ones are all piratey. I couldn't resist.
laugh.gif

I'm not too big on legal crap and I don't really care. We've never had any complaints from anyone, so I reckon we should be good.

We did use content from all over the place, including sound effects from other games, cutscene videos from films and TV series, ship models from other Akella games and similar stuff.
But generally we've made enough adjustments to make the material our own and it's not like we're stealing profit from anyone by doing so.

You're not going to tell me that LucasArts is missing out on profit because I used the "punch" sounds from Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb for the fists I coded into the game.
"I've decided against buying that game. I've already heard 1% of the sound effects in a free modpack elsewhere." :rofl

I suppose the biggest issue might be the music packs, but if anyone really objects, we can take them down quickly enough.

If they'd had a problem, they could've complained a long time ago. After all, we've had movie-based music packs since at least Build 13 many years ago.

It's interesting. I kinda stumbled upon PA by accident. I was building a ship model and looking for Black Pearl reference shots and I came across one of the pics on MobDB, and I was like "What's this? Black Pearl in a game looks fun. PotC? Hey I have that game!" And that's how my interest began. I think I officially joined in late March or Early April, and shortly before Easter was when I was made a modder. I remember at first I didn't know much and couldn't help out that much. But I eventually learned some stuff and here I am today.
keith.gif
Still tons I don't know, but I'm learning gradually.

You joined on 15 April 2011. No I'm not stalking, it's right there to the left of your post! :cheeky

That's quite a coincidence on finding the game; quite funny too. "Hey, I've got that game"! :rofl

You can't be expected to know everything in half a year; I don't know everything myself and I've been here for over 7 years now; has it really been that long??? :shock
At least you WERE once promoted to "Modder"; I never was! That's because we didn't HAVE a Modders group and that is one of the things I introduced after I became a Moderator. :wp

In my case, I seem to recall looking at the game one day, having not played it for ages, and thinking: "I wonder if there are any updates or mods for this?"
Needless to say, I was stunned by what I found! And I wasn't even much of a mod person, either. Didn't trust add-ons from strangers on the net, but this was very different indeed! :dance

Anyway, back on topic, I think I might know way to work around the missing components on the Dutchman once it's re-exported, at least in the short term.
What I could do is use the new hull as the base model, and add the old one top of it with a locator, but give the old one a blank hull texture.
This way, I can make sure the missing parts are still visible AND keep the locators for the new hull. :dance
The only downside is, the total number of polygons will be much higher. I don't know how much higher yet, but I'm pretty sure it won't be an astronomical change.

P.S. maybe we could start a thread in the Burning Brig asking people how they found PA! Some of the stories could be interesting, as we've already seen. xD:

Anyway, back on topic, I think I might know way to work around the missing components on the Dutchman once it's re-exported, at least in the short term.
What I could do is use the new hull as the base model, and add the old one top of it with a locator, but give the old one a blank hull texture.
This way, I can make sure the missing parts are still visible AND keep the locators for the new hull. :dance
The only downside is, the total number of polygons will be much higher. I don't know how much higher yet, but I'm pretty sure it won't be an astronomical change.

P.S. maybe we could start a thread in the Burning Brig asking people how they found PA! Some of the stories could be interesting, as we've already seen. xD:

Sounds great!
me.gif

Back