• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Flying Dutchman

One other thing I'd like to look into is the dark abyss that is 'total blackness' beneath the sea. There must be a way of changing the colour, at least, to make it more like dark blue.
Unless it's hard coded, of course, because players were never meant to see it. :facepalm
Nothingness in computer games is always black. Don't think we can do anything about that. The game just really wasn't meant to support submarines and such.

Nothingness in computer games is always black. Don't think we can do anything about that. The game just really wasn't meant to support submarines and such.
Oh well. Better black than grey or white, I suppose. At least it's somewhat realistic, because it's mean to be pretty dark below the waves!

Consider me corrected; the sail damage function doesn't exist the way the hull and crew damage functions do. :modding
Are you kidding me? It just HAD to be the sail damage, didn't it? :facepalm

Never mind. Crew damage, anyone? Or is that already in place?

No crew damage yet; that really IS easily done though.

BTW: I'm working on the emerging particle effects with my li'l brother.

I don't think we should limit the Kraken attack to slow moving ships. Because if you remember at the end of DMC, the Pearl is hauling ass at full speed away from the Dutchman and the Kraken speeds after it, grabs it, and just stops her dead in the water.
Well it was just an idea for balancing things out a bit more. As Pieter said, we need to give the poor victims a chance, right?

Well I don't know . . . The whole point to me seems to be to catch fast ships that can outrun the Dutchman. In that video, the small ship was pulling away from me even with the triple gun, so I parked the Dutchman and sent the Kraken after it. It was kinda like the movie in a way . . . "They're giving up!" "Oh crap."
icon_wink.gif

My SXF project is so on the back burner right now. I'm gonna get to that when I finish the Pearl, Revenge, Wicked Wench, and Brig rigged Enterprise.
Any idea how long you'll take to finish those ships? I don't mean to rush you at all, I'm just keen to get at least some enhanced sound effects into Beta 2. :nk
The way things were going before you took a break from the project, it seemed like you were making great progress, too.

. . .
huhh.gif
. . . Seriously??? I don't even have an estimate on when that will be done. It's a vast project. I haven't touched it in months. I do, however, have my progress on it saved in a file. I could send you what I have so far. Do it in parts I guess. Also, I know where all the SFX for everthing are, so I'll find us a good splash to use. Or maybe I'll just make a new one.
type_1.gif

About the persisting wake, I don't actually mind that. In a way, it's good because you can actually see where you're going in 3rd person camera view.
It almost resembles a shark fin skimming the surface, too. I haven't tried it in a storm yet, but I think I know what you mean about the extra bow wave effects.
I DID, however, discover that you can sail directly underneath other ships without adverse effects. I was worried you'd start pushing them along, but that doesn't seem to happen.

One other thing I'd like to look into is the dark abyss that is 'total blackness' beneath the sea. There must be a way of changing the colour, at least, to make it more like dark blue.
Unless it's hard coded, of course, because players were never meant to see it. :facepalm

I thought the wake kinda looked like a shark too. lol

Hmmm. I wonder what would happen if I surfaced directly under a ship then?

Indeed, I was wondering if we could turn the black abyss into a dark blue. There's really no way to change the color?

And I can have the ships done in a couple days if I stop screwing around and really buckle down. I got kinda distracted by the Dutchman, plus I'm also working on a Promo video for Pieter. About that actually . . . How about we just make it a Beta 2 video? By the time I get it done and released, it will be time for Beta 2 anyway. lol
rolleyes.gif

Sound effects and particle effects are in place; it actually works pretty well! We've even got separate effects for when the masts appear out of the water.
See attached. :cheeky

And I can have the ships done in a couple days if I stop screwing around and really buckle down. I got kinda distracted by the Dutchman, plus I'm also working on a Promo video for Pieter. About that actually . . . How about we just make it a Beta 2 video? By the time I get it done and released, it will be time for Beta 2 anyway. lol
rolleyes.gif
If you're including all the cool stuff we're working on these days, it will be a Beta 2 video. You can finish and release it before Beta 2 though; it'll be a pre-release trailer to build anticipation! :dance

And I can have the ships done in a couple days if I stop screwing around and really buckle down. I got kinda distracted by the Dutchman, plus I'm also working on a Promo video for Pieter.
I think we've all been distracted by the Dutchman! xD:
The sooner you can finish the ships, the better, but just don't rush them. I know you won't anyway, but I'm just saying.
It will be nice for you to get the textures done and over with I'm sure, so you can stop worrying about perfecting them. :slap

Sound effects and particle effects are in place; it actually works pretty well! We've even got separate effects for when the masts appear out of the water.
See attached. :cheeky
NICE! That looks excellent! :woot
It could also work for the scene in AWE when the Pearl returns from the Locker, too... if we ever get that far.

Wow! Looks great!
me.gif

Am I right in assuming you're trying to get this released in about a month?

Yeps; should all make it into Beta 2 due before the end of the year.

I'm hoping to be done with the special effects in a few days, so I can get going on the meat of things and clean up the ship models folder.
But the special effects will be good for building anticipation, of course.

Yeah they'll be cinematic for the video for sure.
me.gif
Even being underwater can look good if you look at it from the right angle. It was dumb luck that a pair of sharks swam by followed by two overhead ships.

I've just remembered that I modified some of the sail locators for the Uncursed Dutchman, to make the mainsails larger as per the film.
I never got round to doing the same for the Cursed Dutchman, so here's how she looks now:

CursedDutchman_sails.jpg

I've also modified both sail textures so that the bottom corners actually meet with the ropes, rather than leaving a gap. That can also be seen in the screenie.
What do you think?

Looks awesome!
me.gif

Hmmm. That skeleton needs a couple dark spots for eyes and maybe a third for a hint of a nose.

I think the skeleton is probably just given a generic spot of seaweed on the texture, so I'm not sure it's easy to give it distinctive eye holes.
However, I'm about to give the texture a makeover anyway. I'm sure it shouldn't be so green, and the planking needs work.
I'll also improve the uncursed texture, especially the planking.

Ropes actually attached to the sails? Now that IS an improvement! It was especially apparent on the sail you see from the stern deck.

How's the attached for the new on-sea action icons?
The Flying Dutchman one is for Emerging/Submerging
The oars are for the Black Peard speed boost
Blackeard wielding his Sword of Triton is for the Queen Anne's Revenge speed boost

I haven't yet coded the speed boosts, but will get to that tomorrow.

Awwwwww but the little LEGO Blackbeard is so cuuuuuuuuute!
24.gif

Makes me just wanna give the little guy a hug. lol
monkeydance.gif

Yeah, might wanna change that, Pieter.
smile2.gif

Maybe in the future, for the QAR, someone could model those two cabin skeletons holding the torches. I had to take off one arm entirely because the torch looked really weird in 2-D.

Back