• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Food Spoiling

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
(http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/Pirate_Food.html)

The first couple of weeks at sea was full of meat, cheese, fresh veggies, eggs, and you name it. After that the food slowly but surely started to spoil, rot, mold and go rancid. That's why most of the food in storage was either dry beans, pickled food or salted food like salted meat. The quality and variety of the food was certainly found lacking after a few months at sea. Chickens were kept for the eggs until they were eaten or died. Cows were kept for the milk until the food supply for the cow had depleted. When the cow no longer had food to live, it was then time to eat the cow.

The meat was frequently rotten and it was very common to see maggots. The bread was full of weevils, even the hardtack sea biscuits which usually lasted for up to 12 months if kept dry. Pirates were known to catch a sea turtle here and there which was a welcomed meal. Bones from everything was kept to make Pirate Bone Soup for when the going got rough.

Galley cooks were known to use a lot of herbs and spices to cover up the taste of spoiled ingredients. Vegetables and meat were usually pickled or salted to preserve the food. Ships on long voyages relied on biscuits, dried beans and salted beef to live. Without proper food, many sailors got sick and died of scurvy.

I wonder if after a period of time (say 7 days) one would have to sell the food aboard the vessel, and then replace it with fresh food. If not, a variation of the rat script could come into effect, along with sickness, dispite having medication on board.

Just another thought from the abyss that is my brain

Looking at food have you read this, it explains how they coped. http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110&Itemid=151

Oh man, I knew that had it bad....
I had read somewhere that it was common for sailors to eat totally in the dark, so they couldnt see the worms...ew
I've had military rations, but they have nothing on grossness on that stuff...

Perishable goods is a good idea for a few items. I like this idea a lot, enen though it sucked i kind of miss the rats in CMv3. It added a layer of realism. Is this being worked on?

at present...no. There is just so much to do, and this one is lower on my list of priorities...

The idea is good, but you guys will have to fix the issue about food shortage. If we got to get fresh food every week, you guys will have to make sure that the store's as what we need. Also putting a gauge under or above the moral gauge to indicate how far your food is before spoiling could be nice. That way the player can see how long he got before is food got spoiled. Just an idea!

Cheers, :cheers

Back