• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Francis Drake's sword (Selfdialog Problem)

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Having done all the work for the Moulins, I went to Antigua to get the reward. After I dug up the sword, various controls stopped working. I couldn't side-step, couldn't speed up time, and back on the ship's deck I couldn't get to lower decks either by fast travel or by walking to the door .

The journal which led me to the sword mentions that bad luck is associated with it, so is this some sort of curse? If so, is there a way to lift it? Or is it a bug?

I tried copying all the game files from my backup directory as well as deleting the "options" file, reloaded the saved game from after I'd picked up the sword, and the controls were still broken. Then I reloaded a saved game from before I got the sword and everything was fine. I went and dug up the sword again and the controls broke again.

That sounds to me like the effect you get after any "self dialog". If so, it is easily fixed by starting another dialog with any character at all.

Yes but it is annoying. For example hen the player is on his own self dialogs could be very useful but can't be used.
I think we should call it a bug.

Definitely a bug. Thankfully with a relatively simple work-around, but a bug nonetheless. :yes

It's a bug? I always thought it was the bad luck curse. Anyway it wears off after a while. Just world map sail to another island and it should be back to normal. That is the sword I am using.

Eg. dialog where you are talking to yourself. When you get your own head model in the top-left corner of the screen as well.

Huh. The only place I've noticed this is with the sword. Guess I don't talk to meself much.

Happens at various times in various quests. Admittedly not all that often, though.

And most places where it happens, you talk to someone else almost immediately afterwards. One example is in "Saving Toff's Daughter", you've just gone through the port gate and ask yourself if it's time to go to the pirate's ship. I don't know what happens if you decline, but if you do go then you teleport to the ship and talk to the pirate, which presumably solves the problem before you've had a chance to see it. Another example is during "Strange Happenings", when you tell yourself that it's time to go and free Padre Domingues, shortly after which you talk to Padre Domingues. The only other places where I can think that the bug may bite are during "Artois Voysey" and "Search for Bartolomeu o Portugues' Crew", when the aforementiond characters run off and you talk to yourself about it. You're then standing in the port with a good opportunity to fail to sidestep if the bug is in effect.

But the only time I've noticed the problem is also after picking up the sword. First I sailed round to the port, where upon disembarkation you're on a narrow walkway with your officers in front of you, so I tried to sidestep round them. Then, figuring that the problem started after I'd picked up the sword, I reloaded a saved game from before (but first saved game again in case this didn't work), collected the sword again, and tried to speed up time while running along the path. Then, figuring that the sword might be causing the problem, I reloaded the saved game from in Antigua port and boarded my ship with the intent of going to the cabin and dumping the offending blade into the ship's chest. Then, against the possibility that the game had corrupted itself, I copied the game files from my backup directory and also deleted the "options" file. I never thought to talk to anyone in port; instead, having given up at that point, I tried talking to you lot. :)

I've been doing this too long and have it down to a routine. I get the sword and run back to the ship. Since the English are always mad at me I only want to make a clean getaway and go to the world map and sail to another island. Sometimes I straight time sail in and sometimes it speeds up. In port I always talk to lots of people so it might be there that it gets fixed.

Take an officer with you ashore, then talk to that officer straight after it happens. That should fix it straight away.

And most places where it happens, you talk to someone else almost immediately afterwards.
Very true. :yes

Take an officer with you ashore, then talk to that officer straight after it happens. That should fix it straight away.
It did. The reason I noticed the problem was that I had my usual gang of three officers along and couldn't get past them on the Antigua port walkway. I had a word with the officer, then sidestepped around the three-officer blockade.

Back