• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Free Level-Ups at Game Start

andyandy

Sailor Apprentice
before talking to malcom there seem to be some free levels up. is this intended?

Last edited by a moderator:
also, before talking to malcom there seem to be some free levels up. is this intended?
The Free Play storyline is intended to start you at rank 5. Is that what you mean or did something else happen?

am at like 12? the save is right after start.
That does sound definitely wrong. It may or may not be related to your earlier report, so I made a separate issue of it so we will remember to check both.

Which storyline are you playing?
I haven't had this problem in jean lafitte and assassin.
It sounds to me like you might have an wrong installation. Could you describe how you installed the mod?

Which storyline are you playing?
He is playing the Free Play storyline and started with Robert Fulton.
He mentioned that in the other thread: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/characters-gain-hp-too-fast-during-fights.25843/

Actually... It just occurs to me that this may NOT be a bug at all!
Search PROGRAM\Models\initModels.c for "Fulton" and you should find his init entry.
It could be that I deliberately gave him a starting rank of 12 because he also gets a Steam Frigate and rank 5 wouldn't be enough for him with that ship.
I applied similar changes to Davy Jones, if I recall.

am at like 12? the save is right after start.
Confirmed to be intentional for Robert Fulton:
Code:
  model.description =  "Trousers, shirt, cut a little slim.  Oh, and an apron, and don't you bloody laugh!";
   model.id    =  "Researcher";
   model.FaceId   = 34;
   model.minlevel    =  12;
   model.nation    =  AMERICA; // Estharos reassign March 18th, 2009
   model.price    =  350;
   model.assigned   =  true;
   model.name = "Robert";
   model.lastname = "Fulton";

The Free Play storyline is intended to start you at rank 5.
Hi,
Is there easy way to change start rank to 1.
I have work out how to change Player Type beginning stats (for corsair, adventuer, gamler, ect. in select_storyline file), but I'm unable to find how to change rank to 1. Maybe I can add something to console file?

Is there easy way to change start rank to 1.
Some storylines are set up to start at level 1 and some start at a different one.

If the reason why you want to start at Level 1 is because you want a challenging start,
you can also just select the "Castaway" player type in the Free Play storyline.
No code changes required for that and that basically gives you the hardest start you can have in this game. :cheeky

If that is not what you want, then assuming you're using the Free Play storyline, open PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay.c and find:
Code:
   AddStorylineVar(n, "CHANGING_RELATIONS", "1");   // PB: Changing Relations always on
   AddStorylineVar(n, "ISLA_DE_MUERTE", "0");     // PB: Curse not in effect, but can visit Isla de Muerte
Below this, add:
Code:
  AddStorylineVar(n, "START_MIN_LEVEL", "1");     // PB: Start storyline at rank 1
Then you'll start the game as Rank 1 like usual.

You might also be starting at a higher level depending on the character model you selected.
If that is the case, open PROGRAM\Models\initModels.c, find the character model you're trying to use and remove its "minlevel" line.
This is mainly used for naval officer models.

It works, thanks Pieter,
You are amazing - any question I have you gave me the answer so quickly.
Is there anything you don't know about that game and build mod? ;)

Btw, I have choosed Free Play for period I want to play - Golden Era and made "my own" starting character. I like "sandbox" starts, especially that there is some additional quests. I have also modyfied Ships_init adding some ships from Colonials Power. I want these ships to be very rare, so change:
refShip.period.2 = 0.05; // (instead of 0)
Hope it will work.
Btw, whether changing it during after starting a game have will effect on already started game, or I have to start new game to implement changes in game?

Last edited:
I've been around here since 2004 and have seen just about everything that was added.
In the case of your level question, it was me who changed that behaviour. ;)

For your encounter chance changes to ships_init.c, press F11 on your savegame to let them take effect.

Back