- ModDB profile

3. GOF: Eras

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - TheBlackKnight's Mods and Guides
    - ModDB Profile

4. Ahoy
    New to the forum?
    Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

French Hebe-Class Frigate,38 guns, 1782-1821

Discussion in 'Ships' started by Captain Armstrong, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Corsair Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

So I’ve been working on the Hearts of Oak version of the Hebe.:wp I've modified quite a bit, everything has added detail, and I made completely new headrails, based off the plan of the Proserpine of 1785, which I followed for the stern as well. (In her as captured configuration in 1796) Hopefully she looks a bit cleaner overall. Details like the chainplates and rudder are built from Jean Boudriot's plans of the French frigate Venus of 1782 (contested with the Hebe as the lead ship of the class, she was the first laid down and the second one launched) I hope to have download links of parts like these soon for other shipbuilders to use if they so choose. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good coppering texture, so the underwater hull is just painted white for now. I think the outer hull is essentially done, meaning all further work should be on the decks, interior, and rig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This design of 18pdr armed frigates by J N Sane was one of several prepared by different designers when 18pdr frigates were first built for the French Navy in response to the British 18pdr frigates built in 1778. The Sane design proved fast both closed hauled and large, maneuverable, without any serious flaws, and capable in all areas. It became the standard French frigate design for the remainder of the days of the 18pdr frigate, with the last one completed for the French navy, the Armide, being launched in 1821. There were several evolutions of the design, essentially increasing the length and width by small amounts. This divided the J N Sane frigates into the Hebe, Virginie, Hortense, and Pallas classes, with 83 being built in all.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hébé-class_frigate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginie-class_frigate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hortense_class_frigate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallas-class_frigate_(1808)
    However, they all had the same hull lines, and the appearance of ships built as late as 1812 was very much the same as this model, with low rails on the forecastle and all. If one adds the 47 ships built to the British Leda class (with the underwater lines of Hebe) to this count, a total of 130 frigates were built to these lines.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leda-class_frigate
    And I realize it's not within the seven years’ war time span, which would be ideal, but it’s at least within the 18th century requirement!
    Any comments, criticisms, and suggestions are welcome! :)
  2. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Admin Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

You, sir, have been mighty busy! That looks absolutely gorgeous! :woot
    Damn, my Rossiya looks like a toy boat in comparison. I've got some catching up to do...

Oh BTW, could you post some of your images using 'Insert/Edit image' next time? It's a little tedious having to click so many links.

EDIT: I meant to ask, what's that gold texture you're using on the headrails and stern? Could you upload a copy for me to use on the Rossiya and Bellona?

The lack of coppering texture is quite annoying. Perhaps I should try to make one at some point.
    Captain Armstrong likes this.
  3. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen Navigation Officer Staff Member Admin Project Manager Storm Modder

Navigation Officer
    That is some insane detailing there! :shock
  4. Post Captain

Post Captain Rigging Expert Staff Member Coordinator QC Advisor Storm Modder

Holy crap... Those are some detailed chainplates.
  5. Luffy

Luffy Pirate King Creative Support News Gatherer

Promotional Artist.
    Bondi Junction, New South Wales, Australia
    ooooh pretty :keith
  6. Captain Armstrong

Glad you guys like it!:D
    Funny how the high level of detail on the Rossiya is part of what prompted me to go the extra mile with this one...;)
    here ya go:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43901618/CArmstrong/misc/textures/wood_4b_gelb (Rumpf) Vorschau.tif
    I'll post it on the standardized ship textures thread too. I got it from Wedori, but I'm pretty sure he said all the textures he gave me were from a site where we couldn't reuse them in an official capacity...I'll try to check on that, because it is a rather nice texture.

We have some dedicated 2D artists right? perhaps we could put them to work on a nice coppering texture:whipa
    Luffy likes this.
  7. Armada

Then I'm glad your extra work has paid off. :onya

Thanks! Now that you mention it, I do recall Wedori saying the textures he was using were temporary, or something.
    I'm sure we'll end up with some impressive textures (and cool material effects) in the final product either way.

Good point. These days, I never stop to think "Wait, why am I doing this when other people have signed up specifically for it?", because I've become too used to doing everything myself. :rolleyes:
    Then again, has anyone seen any of our 2D Artists recently?
  8. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen Navigation Officer Staff Member Admin Project Manager Storm Modder

Navigation Officer
    Has anyone seen anyone lately? There are about five HoO people active, only half of whom would actively contribute to the actual game resources or coding.
    (Yes, the above results in 2.5 people. Deal with it! :whipa )
  9. Armada

Well, we'll just have to send a reminder to people that the project isn't dead. We have a PM thread for that purpose, don't we?
  10. Hammie

Hammie HoO Team Member Programmer

Game Development
    That is a very nice ship! :shock Very nice!

Also want to confirm that I am still alive (and here). I posted a quick update to the waves. I have some more stuff to show, but currently don't have the time to do so :(.
    Will be posting more updates in 2 weeks.
  11. Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
    Yes, we do. We may have to add some more people to it; I don't think it is up-to-date.

Thanks very much for that. Again! :woot
    And I'll be looking forward to "two weeks from now" then. :cheeky
  12. Alex Connor

Alex Connor HoO Team Member 3D Artist

Lovely

Remind me very much of the Hermione replica, although your stern gallery is much nicer, always thought theirs was rather plain :)
  13. Captain Armstrong

Thanks everyone!
    Maybe we could come up with a list of things to put in the PM that people could start working on? Like coppering-I can think of a few other textures we could use as well-and there's always weapons, props, buildings etc. I know we had a few people sign up recently saying they'd be willing to work on some of these things. It might help to send out a specific reminder to everyone involved.

Glad to hear it! they're both French frigates from roughly the same era, so that makes sense! I think they might've used the same plans for some of the fittings too. While the hull of the Hermione is graceful enough, I always thought they could've chosen a ship with nicer decorations. Even in The History of the French Frigate, the author couldn't help but notice that the Hermione class's decorations were "very ugly" :facepalm
  14. ekaton

ekaton Freedom fighter

I must say that this looks pretty amazing!
  15. Wedori

Wedori Mopar or no car TOP CONTRIBUTOR 3D Artist

Back after my accident :D ;)

The textures are compositions of more then one base-texture and this wasnt the only one wood. If you interest, I will send the others too. The base-textures most comes from http://cgtextures.com/. The policy of this webside says, that you can publish the textures when you insert the Licence of it in the released stuff. The requirement is, that one of all members of this project have or have had an valid account there. And I have had an account. So this is legal. Note: You distribute the texture not like it is, you distribute in an absolutely changed creation. In germany this own creation isnt part of the original licence because you distribute this not 1:1. I dont know the publishers country law on this.
    Hope this helps.

Here is the original part of the licence:
  16. Captain Armstrong

Thanks for explaining! So..we can use it, so long as international laws/laws in our countries are the same as those in Germany. And it is so changed that it can probably be used. It would be great to have the other ones!:)
  17. Wedori

Wedori Mopar or no car TOP CONTRIBUTOR 3D Artist

OK, Ill stay tuned in Skype. Last time I have it more offline to speed up the work on the Sphynx.
  18. LordDrow

LordDrow Pirate Geek Extraordinaire Staff Member Storm Modeller Storm Modder

Awesome work on the ship there. And I am still alive, though been kind of wildly busy with some other projects I'm working on.
  19. Captain Armstrong

Thanks! Glad to see you're still around, and hopefully I'll have another update on the ship reasonably soon!:)
  20. ODemuth

ODemuth HoO Team Member working on HMB Endeavour 3D Artist

Any progress so far? Looks stunning :woot