• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Yes, I remembered the blocks. :onya
As for toilet paper... well, I guess the crew will have to improvise.

So inconsiderate! At least when I made ship models back in the days, I added toilets even supplied with toilet paper! :whipa

à propos toilet paper...I´m not familiar with the dutch/english shipbuilding practice in Russia at that time, but I´ve never seen a 'hole' in the hull for the side galeries on frigates. A small, man-sized port, yes, but never something this huge. It´d make the most vulnerable part of a ship even more vulnerable and probably decrease the sturdiness of the stern.

Another thing that caught my eye: are the ornaments based on photos of the wooden model? If so, I´d apply a dodge or a slight cartoon filter, so that it matches the style of the planking texture.
Sculpting the ornaments and baking it to a low poly mesh would probably look better, though.

/nitpicking end

Everything else looks splendid, very nice work, Armada! :)

à propos toilet paper...I´m not familiar with the dutch/english shipbuilding practice in Russia at that time, but I´ve never seen a 'hole' in the hull for the side galeries on frigates. A small, man-sized port, yes, but never something this huge. It´d make the most vulnerable part of a ship even more vulnerable and probably decrease the sturdiness of the stern.
Perhaps it would compromise the structural integrity, yes, but I think it will do for now. I could always change it when adapting the model for Hearts of Oak.

Another thing that caught my eye: are the ornaments based on photos of the wooden model? If so, I´d apply a dodge or a slight cartoon filter, so that it matches the style of the planking texture.
Sculpting the ornaments and baking it to a low poly mesh would probably look better, though.
Yes, they're based on photos, and I think you're right that they would benefit from further tweaking via texturing.
Sculpting and baking ornaments are processes I'm not familiar with, though. Plus, the current method makes the stern more customisable because of the texture mapping.

Anyway, I'm just about to give the ship its first in-game test. Just a few more locators to sort out first. I'll post another update shortly.

Gents, the ship has now completed her sea trials! :dance Take a look at these screenshots:

Frigate1_new60.jpg

Frigate1_new61.jpg

Frigate1_new62.jpg
I've pretty much got the sails set up properly, along with all the cannon locators. There are only a few stray rope ends to reposition, plus some stays'ls to add, to finish off the rigging. (And yes, I know the pennant is too short right now!)
You'll notice that the glass texture is mostly transparent, except for the dirt around the edges. Unfortunately, it looks like the engine won't render partial transparency in-game at all, despite it rendering correctly* in GM Viewer. I had a lovely glass texture to replace the one featured in previous screenshots, as well. At least I can keep that for Hearts of Oak, though.
Currently, I'm using the stock path model and walk file, but redoing both is next on my list. Then I can upload a first version for people to test out. :keith

* Well, not exactly. The problem I hinted at yesterday was that the partial transparency acts as a sort of "X-ray vision" in GM Viewer. It allowed me to see components hidden beneath the deck, for some bizarre reason. o_O

Awesome work mate, she looks fantastic! Great to finally see her in game! :woot

That looks incredible.

Two tips:
I would expect a vessel of that size and era to not use reeflines on its courses.
Those croquet hoops ( :cheeky ) that the tiller lines are running through should really be full-on blocks. They would cause an extraordinary amount of friction, and would wear the line out after about five days. I don't know if there is anything you can do about it now- sorry I missed that earlier. It may be something for HoO.

I would expect a vessel of that size and era to not use reeflines on its courses.
Good news is, that's easy to fix. Bad news is, that same layout applies to quite a few ships now, after the sail update I did recently. :facepalm
So which ships WOULD use reeflines as shown above?

Those croquet hoops ( :cheeky ) that the tiller lines are running through should really be full-on blocks. They would cause an extraordinary amount of friction, and would wear the line out after about five days. I don't know if there is anything you can do about it now- sorry I missed that earlier. It may be something for HoO.
Croquet hoops indeed. :rolleyes:
There are full blocks on the poop deck which bring the lines to the bulwarks, but I didn't realise they were needed for every turn in the lines.
I can amend that fairly easily and re-export the relevant part, though.

Good news is, that's easy to fix. Bad news is, that same layout applies to quite a few ships now, after the sail update I did recently. :facepalm
So which ships WOULD use reeflines as shown above?

Mainly later vessels (During or after mid-century) of over a certain size. Usually over 120 feet on deck for the double reefline arrangement we're using. I'm not sure a vessel as early as that one would use two rows of reeflines on the course. One row would not be inconceivable, but we unfortunately can not do that, as far as I know.

Croquet hoops indeed. :rolleyes:
There are full blocks on the poop deck which bring the lines to the bulwarks, but I didn't realise they were needed for every turn in the lines.
I can amend that fairly easily and re-export the relevant part, though.

Generally any time you have a bend in a line like that, blocks are necessary. Otherwise, you'll prematurely chafe the line beyond its usefulness. As Irving Johnson said, chafing is a ship's greatest enemy.

It's good to hear that it can be changed, though.

Mainly later vessels (During or after mid-century) of over a certain size. Usually over 120 feet on deck for the double reefline arrangement we're using. I'm not sure a vessel as early as that one would use two rows of reeflines on the course. One row would not be inconceivable, but we unfortunately can not do that, as far as I know.
Yep, it's all or nothing with the sail textures. I think we settled on two rows as the best compromise, considering the wide range of ship sizes in the game.
The Rossiya's gun deck is stated as 118 feet here, for reference.

She's gorgeous! :bow

BTW: NO reeflines at all means no possibility for emblems on her under any circumstances.
Judging by the size of the ship, that seems rather restrictive to me. After all, players might very well want to use them.

BTW: NO reeflines at all means no possibility for emblems on her under any circumstances.
Judging by the size of the ship, that seems rather restrictive to me. After all, players might very well want to use them.
I'm only taking them off the lowest square sails on each mast (courses). The ones above them (tops'ls) will keep the reeflines, so there's no problem with emblems.
Even if it were suggested that the ship shouldn't use any reeflines, I'd keep them on the tops'ls for the sake of emblems, anyway. ;)

Indeed I don't like the ship these days that have two sets of emblems on one mast. I figure one emblem on each mast will do.

Even if it were suggested that the ship shouldn't use any reeflines, I'd keep them on the tops'ls for the sake of emblems, anyway.

:shock

Indeed I don't like the ship these days that have two sets of emblems on one mast. I figure one emblem on each mast will do.

Fortunately, the only ones that should have emblems shouldn't have course reeflines. (Or any reeflines at all, for that matter.) If the emblems cover up the reefline texture, we should be perfectly fine, authenticity-wise.

Back